Autopsy Round 14, 2024 : Hawks skin Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

If he keeps looking for them and garners a rep for it he will stop getting them like Ginni. We will be known for it and it will affect the way we are umpired. As we get better it will become a pain point for opposition fans that desperately need something to hate on.

Agree with Kermit he was hunting for it in that instance.

He will certainly pick up many legitimate ones purely through being tiny. Ducking/shrugging off the tackle is mostly going to be his most efficient way of breaking it, I don't really care if he does that as long as he is actually looking to keep playing and stay on his feet.
He wants to keep his feet but if they come at him it’s what they’ll get, though over time the umps might give him the Ginnivan! But the way he can bounce up and get to the next contest is…….dare I say it Cyril like. :eek:

McKenzie is a pretty reliable isn’t he? Does over do things. Baby Sammy (except Sammy was a shit kick for goal)
I'm really enjoying seeing Frenchie's game develop this year- especially his goal kicking.
Of all the young guns we've got he's the one I'm bloody excited to watch become the player we know he will be.

crazy how many fans are denying what was the most telegraphed attempt at a high-tackle free i've ever seen. as kermit noted, it's his first instinct in these situations.

i'm all about playing to win, and have no problem with someone using their stature to their advantage and making themselves harder to tackle, but i can't stomach leading with the head in hope when you'd otherwise get beaten. don't like it from opposition players so can't accept it with ours.

as some have pointed out, he doesn't need to play for these; he'll earn them naturally by being first to the ball and smaller than most tacklers.

still love his attitude and work rate of course.

crazy how many fans are denying what was the most telegraphed attempt at a high-tackle free i've ever seen. as kermit noted, it's his first instinct in these situations.

i'm all about playing to win, and have no problem with someone using their stature to their advantage and making themselves harder to tackle, but i can't stomach leading with the head in hope when you'd otherwise get beaten. don't like it from opposition players so can't accept it with ours.

as some have pointed out, he doesn't need to play for these; he'll earn them naturally by being first to the ball and smaller than most tacklers.

still love his attitude and work rate of course.
So you didn't like Poppy......

No, i loved the shit out of him. But no, not that part of his game.
They are both short. Clarkson even said in a press conference that he would put Poppy in the middle cause he was short and could get a free kick.

i hate it when other players do it and love that watson will piss of a country full of oppo fans over the next decade for it.

being unashamedly biased is fun :p
I respect this perspective!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This place would absolutely erupt if Weightman did what Watson did against us.

Watson deliberately leaned into the Vlastuin tackle, everyone bar some Hawthorn fans have acknowledged it.

Love your takes, but reckon you're off the absolute deep end on this as are others.
For a start, it's being argued here that's ALL that Watson attempted.
Rubbish.
As if anyone here knows exactly what's in the kids mind and what he's trying to do.

First, he hangs the ball out with his left hand to try and sell candy. That fails to buckle the Richmond player's legs, but Watson has mere milli seconds to recognize that after he returns to drive right.
So he's not just collected the ball and attempted nothing but driving a head high tackle.

Yes, reckon he knows at that point he's getting an attempt at tackle.
You know what he doesn't know?
Whether that Tiger's player will wrap up successfully, or perhaps get his tackling arms driven off by stiff hipping through the tackle, and lastly, most importantly.....
Watto MIGHT get the opportunity if the tackle is sufficiently weak to then offload a handpass through the attempted tackler and onto a teammate.
You know, like Newk does or attempts to do at least half a dozen times a game.
If Jai is surrounded closely enough, he looks to drive through some slight amount of space and burst his body enough through that gap to give him the opportunity to handball away.
He's incredibly successful at it.

Finally, I'd just say, why the living **** should any player make himself MORE tackle-able than absolutely necessary?
The idea that the ball winner has some ridiculous owing to the game that he should not try and evade in ANY manner possible to be successfully tackled is preposterous.
If that means getting 6 inches off the ground, doing a balletic pirouette, attempting a flying wallaby, whatever the hell they want to do, is exactly, exactly what they should have the option of doing.

It should be completely incumbent on the tackler to find a way that is legal to tackle, and if he can't he can choose to corral until the opportunity is better or another teammate in better position does tackle.
To suggest one should 'manfully' stand up straight and give the tackler a legal portion of your body to tackle is nonsense.

I know that is not the current thrust of thinking in AFL rules, but it's absolutely mine.

By contorting or doing other acts to make yourself harder to tackle, you're also limiting your options to dispose of the ball successfully and creating 'prior opportunity', so again there's a risk to such action if someone correctly tackles you.

Definitely my last post on this.

I'm 100% with Kermit Jagger, and a bit bemused by some of the responses.

If that was Selwood, we'd all be screaming our **** off.

Yes, he is short, but the best way to describe what he does is that he aims his neck at the incoming arm, head already tilted back for emphasis

It's a bad look whenever the player's intention is to milk a free kick. I squirm when I see it especially if it's one of our own. I feel the same when I see a player try to trick the opposing player to move off the mark after being told to stand. It's unsportsman like and not something a team with this much talent needs to do.

If he keeps looking for them and garners a rep for it he will stop getting them like Ginni. We will be known for it and it will affect the way we are umpired. As we get better it will become a pain point for opposition fans that desperately need something to hate on.

Agree with Kermit he was hunting for it in that instance.

He will certainly pick up many legitimate ones purely through being tiny. Ducking/shrugging off the tackle is mostly going to be his most efficient way of breaking it, I don't really care if he does that as long as he is actually looking to keep playing and stay on his feet.
It is strange in that I think Moore is the worst of the lot and has done it longer than Ginnivan but doesn't seem to have the reputation in the media and the umpires just keep giving him free kicks

Love your takes, but reckon you're off the absolute deep end on this as are others.
Rubbish.
As if anyone here knows exactly what's in the kids mind and what he's trying to do.

First, he hangs the ball out with his left hand to try and sell candy. That fails to buckle the Richmond player's legs, but Watson has mere milli seconds to recognize that after he returns to drive right.
So he's not just collected the ball and attempted nothing but driving a head high tackle.

Whether that Tiger's player will wrap up successfully, or perhaps get his tackling arms driven off by stiff hipping through the tackle, and lastly, most importantly.....
Watto MIGHT get the opportunity if the tackle is sufficiently weak to then offload a handpass through the attempted tackler and onto a teammate.
If Jai is surrounded closely enough, he looks to drive through some slight amount of space and burst his body enough through that gap to give him the opportunity to handball away.

Finally, I'd just say, why the living **** should any player make himself MORE tackle-able than absolutely necessary?
The idea that the ball winner has some ridiculous owing to the game that he should not try and evade in ANY manner possible to be successfully tackled is preposterous.
If that means getting 6 inches off the ground, doing a balletic pirouette, attempting a flying wallaby, whatever the hell they want to do, is exactly, exactly what they should have the option of doing.

It should be completely incumbent on the tackler to find a way that is legal to tackle, and if he can't he can choose to corral until the opportunity is better or another teammate in better position does tackle.
To suggest one should 'manfully' stand up straight and give the tackler a legal portion of your body to tackle is nonsense.

I know that is not the current thrust of thinking in AFL rules, but it's absolutely mine.

By contorting or doing other acts to make yourself harder to tackle, you're also limiting your options to dispose of the ball successfully and creating 'prior opportunity', so again there's a risk to such action if someone correctly tackles you.

great post
high tackle
free kick Wiz
is the bottom line

Rubbish.

Much better rant than what I can manage. Fully agree with the bolded part. What I was trying to say earlier.

It is strange in that I think Moore is the worst of the lot and has done it longer than Ginnivan but doesn't seem to have the reputation in the media and the umpires just keep giving him free kicks

I think with Moore, it’s more subtle. It’s almost Selwood like, in the fact he doesn’t flop immediately to ground, as if he gots his nuts caught on an electric fence, demanding a free. He tends to lean forward as if giving off the ball, without losing his feet. so little bit harder to detect than both Ginnivan and Watson.

Poppy was another that could get away with head highs, with out it being too obvious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 14, 2024 : Hawks skin Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back