Review Round 14, 2024 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

For all of McEntee's limitations he at least puts his body on the line and exerts maximum effort at every contest, which is probably why he gets a game every week. Rozee and Butters are Nick Kyrgios style footballers - all of the talent in the world but no hunger for the contest or the hard work required to be great. Get them to watch the way Callan Ward goes about it to see just how far they are off the pace in terms of toughness and unconditional effort.
I have to disagree about butters. he definitely has hunger for a contest in fact he will put his body into it and smiles when is clobbered.

to understand the size differential to him and what he runs at, and what he puts his body through, I actually think he's one of the most courageous player in the afl.

but in the context of this conversation there's definitely a problem with what's going on out there... he's too hot and cold

as are too many

I hate that I know which set shot will be a miss based on the game time and scoreboard
I reckon I can probably guarantee you were thinking that just before he slotted his first goal too

I know in our house as much was said

ditto that post-game kick on goal- was always sailing over the umpires head

90% above the ears

(looking at boak's entire career 🙄)

Personally I think this club could very well be stuffed even after hinkly goes!
The disaster he has presided won't be fixed in a hurry!
I disagree. you can't Produce the quality of football we produced in that first quarter against essendon unless you have got some seriously talented players on the field

We have some very talented players which is what makes this all so frustrating

the other thing is we've finished very high on the ladder many seasons, which also makes it frustrating because we know if we made the finals this year we would go out again

Kenneth is incapable of creating a style of football that doesn't turn to fluid in a final.

our board very well know this. their kpi pass mark is not to win a premiership. while it is that, we absolutely never will

Just look at how many midfield coaches this team has had under Ken, with the performance level and style all remaining the same despite the constant change.

Same goes for the changes to the defense and forward line coaches.

The more things change, the more things stay the same under Ken.
Agreed, mate.

But jesus christ, how can such an allstar group be so ****ing poor, so often? He can't possibly be that toxic, can he?

If Ken really is the kind of coach that can turn Rozee, Butters and JHF into fairweather downhill skiiers who pick and choose when to go, then that is as incompetent as anything Nield, Shaw, Eade, Noble, Primus and Hird ever managed.

How he has kept us so consistently mid table, with that level of incompetence, is astounding.

Watching the GWS game in the 2nd half today, the words of our most successful player - not necessarily best, but 9 premierships makes him our most successful - kept flooding the front of my mind.

After his retirement Motley said: “We played on the basis that we could not possibly let down the followers of the Port Adelaide Football Club - the greatest gift we could give them was a premiership.”

Our current players and coaches, maybe even admin, just don't think like this anymore.

Sure our players make some great efforts to engage with fans for photos, sign merchandise, chat to people at functions, but how much do the fans really mean to them? The guys who played for Port pre AFL lived in the local area, be they born and bred there, or were recruited from the bush, or from around Oz. They spent their lives in and around our fans.

Now players are sheltered from fans. They come from all over Oz and bugger all live in the heartland and have to deal with the hard core supporters, who in the old days used to keep them accountable. Same with the coaches.

Sure all VFL clubs have had to go thru this change as the draft brings in players from all over Oz. Some have kept the old traditional connections, some haven't, some lost it and had to rebuild it.

Can't say the players didn't try today, but they played with a lack of real hunger and real desire.

They let down the followers of the Port Adelaide Football Club.

Hopefully one of Mots proteges, has a big hand in changing the current status quo soon.

So today is the first time in many years that I didn't see any of todays games.
Chose to have a beer or 6 with a mate passing through Dubai instead.
Had intentions of watching the replay tonight but after seeing the scores won't bother.

What I did see today was an instagram post from the club about our captains boots.....
Maybe I'm half drunk, old or just grumpy but ffs would be nice to see our club focus on winning games instead of touchy feely crap!!
Its awesome he's a dad and all that but really?

Pretty obvious that winning and losing games means more to us supporters than the current crop of players and their coaches!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We were terrible all over the park.

Forwards apart from Georgiades blunt,
Midfield went missing,
Ruck offered nothing.
Backline well beaten and full of errors.

I’m just going to assume our players are involved in some gambling scandal.

It looked way too corrupt some of the basic “errors” that were made. If a player is about to tackle me, I’m at least flicking a handball out to a player near me.

Some of them outright refused to do it and willingly got caught holding the ball with no attempt to get rid after plenty of time. Very dodgy behaviour.

After his retirement Motley said: “We played on the basis that we could not possibly let down the followers of the Port Adelaide Football Club - the greatest gift we could give them was a premiership.”

The days when footy was a sport not a business.
These words are from my era when money was not the be all end all with sport.
You played to win and winning was everything because there wasn’t any other reason to play.
It’s not sport anymore it’s a business, the old win at all costs has been replaced with game day experience.
Even an old Goat like me can see this.

Personally I think this club could very well be stuffed even after hinkly goes!
The disaster he has presided won't be fixed in a hurry!

I really don’t mind Hinkley staying insofar Koch remains president. A substitute would still work under the current regime’s culture.

Having the piss taken out of us by the fckn gws giants of all clubs doesn’t have me jumping for joy.

I’m beyond jokes about Ken. I just want him gone and this club to be a contender and taken seriously again.

I don’t have a sense of humour at all when it comes to this club and my patience is hanging by a thread.

I much prefer having the piss taken out of us directly than what we've had over the last several years, which is people pretending we're good because they're more than happy for us to exist in mediocrity forever. That's much more offensive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were terrible all over the park.

Forwards apart from Georgiades blunt,
Midfield went missing,
Ruck offered nothing.
Backline well beaten and full of errors.

I’m just going to assume our players are involved in some gambling scandal.

It looked way too corrupt some of the basic “errors” that were made. If a player is about to tackle me, I’m at least flicking a handball out to a player near me.

Some of them outright refused to do it and willingly got caught holding the ball with no attempt to get rid after plenty of time. Very dodgy behaviour.

Just say Jed macking cheese

People forget so quickly.

Rozee is an elite midfielder before he got injured.

Hasn’t been the same player since. Get him fit and back him in.
I will cut him some slack as he is coming back from injury, coupled with the fact that he's just had a baby so his sleeping patterns might be a bit out of whack and he's probably got a lot going on in his mind.
But once you cross that white line you declare yourself good to go, so if he wants this job he better get his head straight sooner rather than later and do what a captain should, lead from the front.

As shit as our midfield and forward line is at the moment, is there a weaker and leakier defence in the league.

I have no confidence that any of our defenders can win a one on one.. take a one grab mark.. pick the ball up cleanly..or hit a target.

They had solid defenders who can win one on ones yet we have zero.. what this club would do for a Sam Taylor type..

Hogan and green could have had field days had they kicked straight..

Yeah I get Ken sucks, the board sucks, the club sucks but I’m still not happy about getting gut punches from the afl’s newest club with no flags and 8k people who turn up to their games.

Why? good on them

I think we definitely wrote off McKenzie too early, he was our most reliable defender until he got injured last year and I don't totally agree with casting him off and replacing him with Esava and BZT just like that. In hindsight it was a strange decision to trade for them both when we only really needed one of them with Clurey also waiting in the wings along with the untried kids. A bit like the decision to bring both Sweet and Soldo in when Visentini is waiting for his opportunity also.
I'm holding out some hope McKenzie can make his way back from injury and reclaim a spot, but I'm not holding my breath on it. We need another safe kick in defence, BZT and Esava are both error-prone and I don't think we can carry them both.

Someone asked me the other day, “Do you think Ken has lost the players”?

My initial reaction, “Absolutely he has, the players are now just going through the motions until he’s gone”.

But upon reflection, I think there’s a fair few players on our current list who don’t want him gone. These guys share the same loser mentality as their coach, they lack ambition, they lack fight, they lack discipline, they lack hunger, they lack mongrel, they lack resilience, etc etc.

Yeah, they’ll rock up to training & tick off all the right boxes, they might even play a decent game every now & then, but that’s where it ends. The diehard fans, creating a legacy, respecting the history & the jumper of the club means nothing to them. I mean if our Senior Coach can have a bit of a laugh & a giggle immediately after a bad loss, why not the players?

It’s a really bad culture at the moment, rotten to the core. If it was a marriage, you’d walk away from it.

Last edited:
Don't worry.
Dixon and Finlayson had amazing games in the magpies, just look at the stats.
They will fix everything.

/sarcasm_off

Must win game against Brisbane, or Port don't make finals.
B1 and B2 will come in, unfortunately Lord didn't set the house on fire.
Clurey in for Williams.

Ken's last ditch effort to kick the can down the road for 5 more games before things get scary.
If Port don't get to 13-5 then its season over.
Calling it now.

Dad's army coming in this week.

1718576146907.png

going into the game with evans. mcentee & dbj as defensive forwards, is bizarre at the minimum. we lost the game at selection.
gws handball to create movement going forward, we handball for the sake of handball.
questioning hinkley ball, is valid, but josh carr as midfield coach & the next head coach has more questions than answers.
forcing the ball into the centre corridor during the whole game, was/is risky, gws waited for us to fail. we did......
rozee needs a couple of weeks off, he is carrying an injury.
butters getting tagged, move him forward.
bergman needs midfield time.

ratugolea, kicks a goal & is immediately moved back to defence, in the last quarter, highlights hinkley ball:
BZT went off injured, some one had to go back

I could put my body on the line and give max effort too, I would do it for half of what he’s paid. Doesn’t mean I should be getting a game at port

99.9% of times when mcintee is involved in a chain of possessions it breaks down. It’s at the point where we almost need to make sure we play through whatever side of the field he’s not on. Just a massive momentum killer.
And the oppo know that; they do not respect him meaning they have a player loose

Remove this Banner Ad

Back