Round 14 changes Vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd anticipate Houlihan getting a forward-tag role on Hurn.

Jamison will have to take Kennedy, Thornton on Lynch. No idea what we do when Cox goes forward. Might have to bring in Bower. I'd see Carrazzo perhaps having a full-time run-with job on LeCras.

That said, if you go too top-heavy, the Blues will slice and dice you through the middle. Must bring run and clearances against the Blues, both of which I think you have.

Re: matching up on Walker... Glass would be a poor choice. Walker absolutely blew up Teddy Richards yesterday - Walker is a phenomenal athlete. Glass will take one of Waite, Hendo, Kreuzer (depends who is playing/playing forward), and I'm sure he'll do fine. You'll also need all the pace you have in the backline. Both Eddie and Garlett were down/well-held yesterday, and that rarely happens two weeks in a row.

I reckon the Eagles will match up really well against the Blues. Should be a cracker. Hampson's injury might end up being really key. He was going along really nicely.

It will depend on your strategy in the backline.

Teams have been dropping one back to interrupt our supply to Kennedy, Cox, Darling and Lynch as most teams don't have the defensive cattle to run against all of them.

As such that leaves us one free down our end which we manufacture to become Hurn. If a forward goes to him to play a straight out tagging role - there isn't much you can do to get him free - but if he tries to run off and create - than you can set Hurn free.

The benefit for us is we have two elite kicks of the footy on the half back line in Butler and Hurn - albeit only Hurn has the cannon. So if Houlihan goes to Hurn in a tagging role - we'll just manufacture Butler as the spare man.

The best way to defeat the spare man - and the way Carlton will most likely defeat it is with midfield run and linking up - which is where you have your biggest dominance over us.

dont think we will be dropping one back as we havent really done it much this season except for brief stints.

Our mids/rucks will push back hard to support and to create options for the backline on the rebound but generally speaking we dont really play a spare man back as we havent allowed a lot of easy/quick entry into the F50 (due to midfield & forward line pressure on ball carriers)

Will be interesting to see what happens WC tries to manufacture a spare man back to free up butler (I'm assuming you mean 7 man backline?) - we might run an extra midfielder but if the spare man is creating issues I dont think we'd have too many qualms with playing a 7 man forward line as most of the options we'd rotate through there would be fairly mobile/dangerous around goals (basically the midds judd, murphy, robinson, ellard, gibbs, carazzo, simpson)

Will be interesting to see what happens WC tries to manufacture a spare man back to free up butler (I'm assuming you mean 7 man backline?) - we might run an extra midfielder but if the spare man is creating issues I dont think we'd have too many qualms with playing a 7 man forward line as most of the options we'd rotate through there would be fairly mobile/dangerous around goals (basically the midds judd, murphy, robinson, ellard, gibbs, carazzo, simpson)

In terms of manufacturing butler (or hurn) it's only when the opposition drop one back and subsequently we have 6 defenders on 5 forwards - so we try and get hurn free. If hurn is being tagged - we want that free backman to be Butler.

I don't think we've dropped numbers back too often this year - our spare man is created by opposition strategy - not our own.

One sized?

Betts and Garlett the smalls @ 180 + 173cm.
Walker is the mid @ 190cm.
Waite plays like a mid @ 194cm
You then have the talls with Kreuzer and Henderson @ 200 + 196cm. respectively.

Hardly one-sized

I was loosely refering to the team as a whole and the amount of mid-sized blokes you have with good pace. The players named were possible match-ups for Smith.

I reckon the Eagles will match up really well against the Blues. Should be a cracker. Hampson's injury might end up being really key. He was going along really nicely.

Who do you see coming in for Hampson? Can Setanta come back in or does Warnock get a reprieve?

would like to see masten in for ebert, to start as sub. ebert could use a full game and masten performed extremely well as sub a few weeks ago. won't happen though.

masten was very stiff to get dropped ahead of a round of no WAFL games. would have loved to see him and kennedy vs judd this week.

This should be a great game....but I fear we looked a little tired during yesterdays match. Well can't afford to be like that against the Blues this week. We need everyone at their best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hampsons out with a knee injury 4-6 weeks

I wondered why that soft**** Warnock was getting a run?:confused: That explains itself. :)

@ClarkyHeraldSun is reporting on twitter that " Eagle Jack Darling is set for a spell in the WAFL, in doubt for Blues clash".

I can see the wisdom in that. Whilst you can't fault his effort at all he does seem out of sorts and we may get a better contribution from someone else and Jack can regain some form & confidence in the WAFL.

Whilst I don't want Darling dropped, when the question is posed:

Who should be dropped to accommodate Mackenzie (assuming the match committee decides he is required in addition to Glass and Schofield)?

It is a difficult question to answer.

If Mackenzie is not required, I think its a poor decision, especially after subbing Darling off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 14 changes Vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back