Autopsy Round 17, 2024 : Hawks fall in a hole in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

As great a servant as Bruest has been he should only be the sub going forward, the difference between he and Ginnivan was huge last night.

Ginnis ability to play up the ground was missed badly yesterday.

Also as Mitch said in his presser the forward pressure Calsher and Ginni provide was missed last night, unfortunately Lewis, Gunners and Bruest just can't provide that.

They had 2 tackles between them whereas Watson and Chol had 8 between them, with some of Wattos pressure directly leading to goals.

Don't think we can play Gunston, Lewis and Bruest in the same side.

If you want to know where Breust & Lewis are at, Worpel running through the guts and both forwards behind their defenders. Are they footballers or dogs smelling their masters backside?
This moment is where I lost faith that we could come back. It was the kind of footy that held us in good stead for two months, but the bad habits had crept back. Lewis won't get a chance to redeem himself this week, and I'm not sure Breust should get one. He's been one of my favourite players for a decade, but it seems that this level is out of reach now :(

Scaife and Dear should be the focus now, just have to get them up to speed. Compare Gunston's inability to kick 50m to Scaife, just have to get it jn his hands.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

I edited my post to include to include Scrimshaw in my best players. Still trying to push the narrative as me being racist hey STY? Poor form from a so called moderator, but hey no surprises coming from you
I’ve been here long enough see the pattern of your posts towards Wingard, CJ, Brockman and now Chol, and I will call it out when I see it.

I don't want to hurt feelings here and I know Lewis first game back. But Dear fills me with more confidence then Lewis despite the time off. Dear just works with this team. Not sure Lewis does.
Lewis started slow but got rolling abit, looked good. Although the amount of times he either got ignored leading or lead and got missed was astounding. Crashed packs, big grabs, couple goals. Hopefully nothing serious.
Agree. He’s big and slow.

When he crashes a pack he takes out every Hawthorn player and the ball seems to fall ground in a good position for the opposition to pick it up and clear it.

When Calsher crashes a pack if he can’t mark it he appears to spoil it in the direction of one of our players.
Players have to realise you don’t fly with Lewis because he crashes it..

Big and slow is odd, the talk here rn is so strange

Gunston goes out for Dear and Bruest for Ginnivan. Jiath for Ward is the other one I'd do.
I have not been a gunston fan this year, but the last 8 or so weeks he changed his role and started becoming an onfield coach, telling the young forwards when/where to lead. He absolutely stays

It’s not bashing and the criticism is warranted. He’s 26 and never played over 15 games and kicked more than 40 goals in a season.

I hope he makes it, but at this point not questioning his output and future is pure negligence.

I got slammed on here for questioning Ward’s output earlier in the season and he’s basically been in the VFL ever since.

Blind faith in underperforming players is not going to win us games and questioning a player’s form is not ‘bashing’.
You argued that he crashes packs and takes out our players, which is nonsensical in itself, then you are trying to justify it by referencing his injury history. What relevance does that have to him crashing packs? How does he take out our smalls, who should be standing a few metres from the pack? How is that warranted criticism?

Dear is a hugely exciting prospect, but he would have struggled to impact in a game like that. It was not a forward friendly game. Yet Lewis still managed to kick 2 from 2 strong grabs.

As for Ward, he was sent back to work on his centre game as there wasn't the opportunity in the ones. He has been killing it there but can't find his way back in due to us winning games and the form of others. You are using his predicament to justify another incorrect opinion.

One more thing. This team needs to toughen up. Big time. Want to be careful that they don't get a reputation of being soft because, as good as they may get, opposition teams will go after them physically. And beat them every time. History says... and all that. As someone posted earlier, Day was putting it all on the line with his body from the get go (injured himself as a result of it in the end) but the team didn't follow. This is another aspect of Sicily's game that is important too, if we recall all the argy bargy he got into in the win against the Bulldogs. It was important. The end result is that I still don't think the team quite gels as a unit at this stage because good teams rally and play hard for each when under intense pressure, in crisis, under siege etc. They respond and put it all on the line. Duke was under intense attention. The pressure on him was so high for the entire game because Geelong knows he is our main cog in the midfield. We needed players to get around him and get physical. Start giving it to his opponents. Instead, what happens is that everything goes out the window and they panick, complete loss of composure and it all falls apart. The team was completely spent at the end of the game and that was due to the reactive, panick riddled game they played.
Don't judge it on one game .
I think as a team we have shown plenty of toughness and resilience over the past 10 weeks .
We wouldn't have rebounded from 0-5 otherwise.
We wouldn't have responded after the Port game . Plenty of sides would have flattened after that .

We got a lesson yesterday and I'm pretty confident we will learn a heap from it and be better for it, as much as yesterday was a tough watch

Looking back on this we got beaten by a well oiled experienced side. The cats have there groove back beating the bombers comfortably last week.
They went to town on our midfield and we never really got our hands on the ball to get the game on our terms. Mixed in with some shocking ball movement on the smaller ground usually our strength.

Nuke,Nash,Jiath all below their best on the day, Amon had 7 turnovers. I wouldn't be blaming the defence. I think we lost out having Weddle in a lock down role we loose his freedom.

I wouldn't hit the panic button yet 8-8 is still a very good result from 0-5. Bounce back next week and it is still game on.

I edited my post to include to include Scrimshaw in my best players. Still trying to push the narrative as me being racist hey STY? Poor form from a so called moderator, but hey no surprises coming from you
He's not the only one who's noticed. Rather than complain about big bad moderator, maybe think about how you post and how it reads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve been here long enough see the pattern of your posts towards Wingard, CJ, Brockman and now Chol, and I will call it out when I see

You are just wrong period. I don’t and never made comments based on skin color. I was right about Wingard - we sold the farm on a player who already had a history of soft tissue injuries which holds true to this day. Re Brockman I made it clear that I loved him as a player but all signs were that he would go back to WA after 2 years due to personal / family reasons - tick. Have been a massive CJ fan from day one - please show evidence where I have criticized him? Chol - on record as saying that he hasn’t made the most of his athleticism throughout his playing career. Probably hard on him yesterday but only because I think he has all the talent to be a genuine a grade KP forward / relieving ruck

Yet despite all this you label me as a casual racist, FMD, Ive been called many things in my life but this is a first. Im actually not upset because the accusation from you is laughable and ridiculous

It’s not bashing and the criticism is warranted. He’s 26 and never played over 15 games and kicked more than 40 goals in a season.

I hope he makes it, but at this point not questioning his output and future is pure negligence.

I got slammed on here for questioning Ward’s output earlier in the season and he’s basically been in the VFL ever since.

Blind faith in underperforming players is not going to win us games and questioning a player’s form is not ‘bashing’.
It actually isn't blind faith because he is a proven goal kicker at AFL level.
Big key forwards are so hard to find , thinking moving him on for a speculative pick or the like makes zero sense .

I'm guessing there are Cats fans scrolling through this thread . They might be able to tell you when Tom Hawkins played his best career footy .
They had patience and got rewarded and we will too with Lewis .

Can someone explain why we played the far side of GMHBA all afternoon.

We couldn't find space yet played the tighter of the two wings constantly.

Geelong new exactly where we were going before we even went there.
I suspect we were starting down that side to try to open up the fat side with a second kick across ground. Had we kicked in to the fat side we would have to switch to the skinny, which would have put our runners under more pressure. Whatever we did, though, didn't work.

Lucky / early enough to get tickets to the game. Geez I hate sitting behind the goals at relatively low level.
Don’t know how the cheer squad do it. Can’t see up the other end, got no idea spatially what’s going on unless it’s in closest forward 50.

Don't judge it on one game .
I think as a team we have shown plenty of toughness and resilience over the past 10 weeks .
We wouldn't have rebounded from 0-5 otherwise.
We wouldn't have responded after the Port game . Plenty of sides would have flattened after that .

We got a lesson yesterday and I'm pretty confident we will learn a heap from it and be better for it, as much as yesterday was a tough watch

The evidence is there in plain sight and the team fell back to how it was playing before the good run when Geelong came out with the heat. Shell shocked, not playing for each other and getting toughed out of the contest. That isn't resilience. I believe what I see. Also, see the Matthew Lloyd comments above. Also, its an observation, not a criticism. So no need to get defensive about it.

The ground down at Geelong may be the worst in the AFL. Haven't missed having to watch games down there where they forgot to add the final third of the ground before building a stand on the wing.

Onto the game, honestly not too concerned about the result. We've had a strong last 2 months but our last few weeks were against weak opponents. The step up was going to be a challenge but our game is based on using the space to create and GMHBA lacks any space. Geelong played it better and we failed to adapt.

Felt like the selection of Mitchell was the wrong call, honestly he seems to have dropped off this year, overcommitting to contests, poor disposal and allowed Rohan to look like he was actually half decent at footy. Sicily's absence was telling, just seemed as though our defence for lost a lot and failed to structure up fast enough.

Ginni missing from the front end also meant we had roles shifted a bit and this also didn't seem to work well for us. This isn't too surprising, young teams are good when everyone knows there role, when the magnets are moved and players injured it's often where it all breaks down and it felt that way yesterday.

Plenty to learn, sad for Lewis after finally getting back into the side. The man can't catch a break.
Well said agree 100%. Once I saw our first kick out and that we had set up exactly the same way we do at the G I thought we were going to struggle due to the ground size.

Targets that are open at the G weren’t there but we still tried and were squeezed. Plus the cats holding us at every opportunity like they used to clamped our spread. We didn’t adapt.

Agree selection wasn’t par for course. Needed another big bodied mid. Harry shouldn’t have been in the side either. Had to make a change to the mix for this ground.

We missed Calshers lead ups big time.

Road ahead is tough as Day looked very sore. Likely a few soldiers down.

I hope we get a few more games this year with that standard of opponent. Rubbish wins against west coast and richmond are nice but don't do a whole lot for the development of the group. Our goal is to play and win finals and for that we need to play and work out well coached teams with elite structures and constant pressure.

Finals this year is a nice dream but realistically we're not able to mix it with the top of the table just yet. I reckon we have so much upside and are a great team to watch when we're on song - but need a lot more development.

I think our spine will be quite decent (ESP if we can add Battle to the mix) but our mids can get a bit shaky and fumbly under pressure. Need to keep the pressure on so they can acclimatise and adapt.

Am also a huge fan of Sam Mitchell's coaching style, but he didn't have the best day in terms of team selection and overall tactics. It happens. We move on to next week with another couple of players down and take on one of the form teams of the competition - bring it on!

You are just wrong period. I don’t and never made comments based on skin color. I was right about Wingard - we sold the farm on a player who already had a history of soft tissue injuries which holds true to this day. Re Brockman I made it clear that I loved him as a player but all signs were that he would go back to WA after 2 years due to personal / family reasons - tick. Have been a massive CJ fan from day one - please show evidence where I have criticized him? Chol - on record as saying that he hasn’t made the most of his athleticism throughout his playing career. Probably hard on him yesterday but only because I think he has all the talent to be a genuine a grade KP forward / relieving ruck

Yet despite all this you label me as a casual racist, FMD, Ive been called many things in my life but this is a first. Im actually not upset because the accusation from you is laughable and ridiculous
Oh yes, the basis of your posts on Brockman were that he was an Aboriginal player who would want to go home.
On Wingard you didn’t think he tried.

Now you call Chol lazy, more casual racism.

Either it’s deliberate or you just can’t help it and don’t know what casual racism is.

Put yesterday into context, the Cats did the same for a QTR and a bit to Sydney. Same finals type pressure. The difference in that game was Sydney was able to absorb it and give a whole bit back and eventually Geelong fell away. Obviously because there a better side than us. That's where we need to get to. The challenge from here on in is to absorb what the opposition are going to bring each week. Particularly the top half of the ladder teams. Longmuir will know how they will need to play to beat us. There more than good enough to do it as well so it's up to us to see what we have learned. Crack in from the first bounce and set the tone should be a non negotiable. That's how you put the good teams on the backfoot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 17, 2024 : Hawks fall in a hole in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back