xInfected_Virus

Team Captain
Apr 23, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wisconsin Badgers Women's Volleyball
Positives +
  • Still in contention of a top 3 pick and a priority pick.
  • Another week closer till Simmo's departure.
  • Allen finding his groove again. Could've had six at least if he kicked straight.
  • Waterman working hard again and made the most of his chances.
  • Darling competed well in the ruck and was ok forward. Still got two shots at goal with the supply the team bought. However structurally he isn't ideal to be that third forward ruck guy, that should be J.Williams.
  • Got the forwards enough supply as we tied them in inside 50s. No surprising that Allen and Waterman were effective when they had supply.
  • Yeo a beast again, was our best midfielder.
  • Reid was quiet in the first half before being good in the second half. Fumbles a bit too much for me.
  • Improved second half.
  • Bailey holding his own against Gawn in the ruck and nullified is impact around the ground when Gawn was on the ground.
  • Kelly was good however prone to the odd clanger although part of the reason is not having enough forwards ahead of the ball.
  • Duggan gave it his all and didn't butcher the ball as much.
  • Cole was solid.
  • Hough was great again and provided some overlap run.
  • Gov in potential AA form, the only key defender who actually rebounds and takes the game on. Took some nice intercepts. If he plays all year and isn't in the AA team then I will go full nuclear melt.
  • Barrass also good, not a rebounding threat as Gov though but great interceptor.
  • J.Williams showing limited glimpses in the short time he was there.

Meh =

=
Hutch showing glimpses of the best talent in that MSD in junk time. Just needs more of it but shouldn't be in the team when there's three KPFs. Unfortunately got burnt too many times. Was quiet for the first three quarters though and shouldn't be in the side.
= Hunt tried against his old side but wasn't bad.
= Rotham did an ok job against Fritsch and killed a lot of contests.
= Chesser was ok but should've done more.
= Cripps was decent, worked hard but failing to get to Darling or to whoever was clear in the F50 made my blood boil.

Negatives -
  • No structure around the ground. Too many players getting sucked in defence and leaving no one ahead of the ball when the team transistions.
  • Witherden, Jones and Brockman were god awful. I've been defending Jones for a while but this is absolute trash from him, not using the ball well such as putting Witherden under pressure. Brockman, just doesn't have confidence at the moment and lacks composure which he was rightfully subbed out. Witherden isn't finding the ball as much and his lack of pace is getting exposed when the team attacks and on the transition.
  • Too many talls upfront which allowed the Dees to rebound it out at will as too many of our players get sucked into the contest and not enough crumbers and the tall crumbers don't have the agility to catch any agile smaller rebounders. Guess who was the sub??? That's right a tall.
  • Smashed in contested possessions. Just the players hunger not there in winning the ball at the coalface. Better off giving Ginbey extended time there as a full time mid.
  • Also smashed on the outside.

Final thoughts.

When the team gets enough supply, Waterman and Allen become more effective. It's clear to me that the team NEEDS to abandon having an overly tall forward line as teams can easily waltz it out. Unfortunately, Darling and Hutch shouldn't play next week and we bring J.Williams as the second ruck in place of Darling.

Unpopular opinion: Harley for me seems too fumbly and lacks the defensive running ability, maybe that will come if he improves his tank and plays more. I have a feeling that BS suspension on him combined with the bye greatly affected his game as he looks disinterested and not chasing as hard enough especially when in close. I know he will get better as he plays more later in the year and when Hewett returns to the senior side once he's done well in the WAFL.

Simmo may as well tell the team to yolo when transitioning AND tell his players to stay ahead of the ball at all times and trust the midfield and defenders that they will win it and if they concede points then so be it and getting forwards sucked up the ground will further stifle ball movement. Plus permanently abandon the four tall forward lineup for good. Doing those two things at least will at least lead to more respectable losing margins. He may as well help the club before it's time to go at least.

Was really disappointed with some of the effort today, seeing it live.

Darling is a hindrance, Witherden shouldn’t be playing AFL. Overall we were just out worked by a fairly slick unit, but Melbourne always had more numbers around the footy when it was in dispute. Our good players faded in and out of the game. Jones is lively but shouldn’t be in the ones.

Oscar was really good, McGovern excellent, Reid is amazing to watch live but I’m surprised he only touched it 16 times.

Ginbey, someone needs to teach him how to play football. He’s all out of sorts like he’s not sure what he’s out there for. He follows the ball around without being involved much.

Positives : the supporters who rocked up to watch this shit show they are the only ones who deserve credit

Negatives : the shit show that this club has become worst list in our history
I don’t know whether it’s the worst list or worst coaching.

Other teams just cut through us with no attempt or ability or organisation to disrupt their movement.

Last edited:
-Ryan tried hard.Doesn’t panic with ball in hand.
-OA / Waterman combo looks dangerous.
-JJs pass of the decade.
-JJs too soft and makes shit decisions
-JWS should start.
-Rotham? No!
-Witherden ? No!
-JJ? No!
-Cripps and JD? Time to phase them out??
-Harley? Wise up mate! Instead of being a super talented individual become a super talented team man!!
Yes I know; we expect so much so soon !!
-Chesser? I’ve defended him for some time but harder for longer mate! We have enough soft c**ks we don’t need anymore and you are on the cusp!
-Hough? See Chesser comments!

Hutchinson - 10 tackles with 8 of them inside 50.

Granted he didn’t touch the ball that much but surely he keeps his spot next week. I also thought he showed a bit in the last quarter when he was allowed to play high half forward and get involved more. A bit of pace, effort and anger when he lost a contest. A few traits missing from others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hutchinson - 10 tackles with 8 of them inside 50.

Granted he didn’t touch the ball that much but surely he keeps his spot next week. I also thought he showed a bit in the last quarter when he was allowed to play high half forward and get involved more. A bit of pace, effort and anger when he lost a contest. A few traits missing from others.
Yeah he was a huge positive.

Was impressed when he stuck the tackle on Viney - most seasoned AFL players would've just bounced off him there.

As a long time member here in Melbourne, today was the final straw for on whether i renew next year, and that is a big no. Today i choose football over a game of golf hoping i would see some effort and all the talk from the players on how they own it after last weeks poor effort, they owned nothing in the first quarter with how easy Melbourne moved the ball, it has been 3 years of absolute tripe, and it ain't going to get better in the next few years. I am done supporting the club financially. I fully understand the club will not give a crap as they have plenty of money, but it will give me choices as to whether i turn up on game day, much like the players do.

As i posted in the game day thread, i was behind the goals at the Ponsford stand end, and our game plan is ****ing terrible, the backs work their asses of to win the ball back, and when they look up the ground we all run to the one side and stand there, some might raise their hand, but that is the end of it, the creativity has been coached out of them by Simmo and his co horts, what coach in any sporting event keeps his job after 8 wins in 3 years.

Our list is terrible, and a 5 yr rebuild is a pipe dream IMO, watching today's game the only players that could possibly be part of our next finals run, could be Reid ( if he still at the club, i doubt he will ) - Ginbey- Hough- Waterman - Allan - J Williams.

The rest will either be retired or delisted/moved on. That is how much turnover i believe is still to go to build a competitive list.

first year kids and mid season draft picks are outperforming seasoned afl players with many preaseasons into them.

Our guys just don’t want to be afl footballers.

Time to turn the page, new coach and cut all the dead wood who want to guard grass, sit on the outside and only be ball receivers on the end of a chain.

Let’s start moving forward.

Last edited:
Paused it at half-time to get my 45 in - needed my own circuit breaker to be able to get through it all.

My main takeaways (postives at least):

Allen worked hard to get back into the game in the second half. Hoping he's turned a corner in terms of touch.

Ginbey was very good after half-time. Not sure what others have been complaining about.

Reid, though quiet still worked very hard which is important - talent can only get you so far.

Ryan has been good in patches up the field, but I'd prefer him in the fwd line and being instructed to rove the pack and apply defensive pressure.

Hutchinson's enormous tackling effort was fantastic but I stil think he should be getting some more time in the WAFL - but having him in the team is hardly an issue.

The rest of the game and players was a tepid bowl of meh.

Positives: I purposely didn’t watch the game which based off the scoreline seems to be a rinse and repeat effort of the past 5 seasons. Im in a much better mood for not putting myself through it as I do every week

Negatives: I didn’t watch the game… which is a very sad place we have gotten to, I’d never miss an eagles game, even in our atrocious 2008-2010 days I’d make sure I’d sit through every game no matter what.

P.S. I don’t think we were as bad as the scoreboard reflected !
The first quarter was pretty bad. The other three were alright outside of a couple of short windows where we went to sleep.

As a long time member here in Melbourne, today was the final straw for on whether i renew next year, and that is a big no. Today i choose football over a game of golf hoping i would see some effort and all the talk from the players on how they own it after last weeks poor effort, they owned nothing in the first quarter with how easy Melbourne moved the ball, it has been 3 years of absolute tripe, and it ain't going to get better in the next few years. I am done supporting the club financially. I fully understand the club will not give a crap as they have plenty of money, but it will give me choices as to whether i turn up on game day, much like the players do.

As i posted in the game day thread, i was behind the goals at the Ponsford stand end, and our game plan is ****ing terrible, the backs work their asses of to win the ball back, and when they look up the ground we all run to the one side and stand there, some might raise their hand, but that is the end of it, the creativity has been coached out of them by Simmo and his co horts, what coach in any sporting event keeps his job after 8 wins in 3 years.

Our list is terrible, and a 5 yr rebuild is a pipe dream IMO, watching today's game the only players that could possibly be part of our next finals run, could be Reid ( if he still at the club, i doubt he will ) - Ginbey- Hough- Waterman - Allan - J Williams.

The rest will either be retired or delisted/moved on. That is how much turnover i believe is still to go to build a competitive list.
Thanks for your support bro I feel your pain

Enjoy the golf :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 17, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back