Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Just look through the stats. They had 27 extra marks and they weren’t cheapies either, they were across the whole ground and many contested. Fremantle had 6 of the top 8 rated players on the ground. It will be interesting to see the coaches votes. I suspect they will get the majority of them.

It was a great grinding win where struck at the right time but we shouldn’t fool ourselves that it was a convincing win. I suspect if that was played in WA the result would look more like the Cats game.
We didn't need a convincing win. We just needed a win and this was a win against a good side that brought serious pressure. Could Freo have put a bigger margin on us by 3/4 time? Yep, but we've been on the other side of that coin a few times. Hanging in there and then lifting under pressure in the 4th against a quality side was a seriously good effort

Hate to say I told y'all, but never in doubt!
That was the response I expected.

Probably wasn't expecting such a high quality contest though. One of the games of the season and I'm not being funny.

An absolute arm wrestle.

Newk with a last quarter for the ages. Sicily ditto.

Stoked for Wardy. Low possession game all round, but thought he looked more involved than his 10 touches would suggest.

We are in 100% agreement about this.
Being outplayed for most of the game doesn't mean being dominated though. They took a lot of shots from 50 that ended in behinds, they were low percentage shots that they missed. They weren't goals that they should have kicked that let us off the hook.

Even according to expected scores we should have won.

Probably wasn't expecting such a high quality contest though. One of the games of the season and I'm not being funny.

An absolute arm wrestle.

Stoked for Wardy. Low possession game all round, but thought he looked more involved than his 10 touches would suggest.
Yeh, thought Ward had a decent game. Bit quieter in the second half, but still did some nice things. A few important smothers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An absolute arm wrestle.

I was really hoping for a good game from him to put him in weekly selection consideration. Tried hard but very much a bit player in the midfield. Not sure it’s enough for him to hold his spot. I really hope he can though.

His zip has never been as apparent in the AFL. He looked quick today, just a lot different to previous outings.
I would have liked to see a bit more impact from him, just for the sake of his confidence.

I thought Wardy was good. Sure by foot, hit contests hard. Did he attend many centre bounces?
Only had 10 touches but did a couple of really nice things.
Needs to stay in side now to find his feet.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Supreme win in finals like conditions. Freo were good, especially with their pressure .

Great coaching sending Sicily forward and Weddle into the ruck late. What a special talent Weddle is.

Newk massive in final term, Meek massive all day, Nash terrific and very exciting stuff from the kids especially Weddle, Dear and Wizard.

Season still alive. We should beat a decimated Collingwood in another mini final next week, likely in front of a bumper crowd
It was a brilliant move because Longmuir had to put Ryan on him to try and negate him even though he was hampered. We confused Ryan all day with our rotation of dangerous players through him. Weddle at times, Dimma than Sic. That's how you stop influential interceptors.

Being outplayed for most of the game doesn't mean being dominated though. They took a lot of shots from 50 that ended in behinds, they were low percentage shots that they missed. They weren't goals that they should have kicked that let us off the hook.

Even according to expected scores we should have won.

Let’s see what Mitchell says in his presser and how the coaches votes go. I’m happy we won but I’m not happy with the way the game was played. In our run of consecutive wins we took the initiative and completely dictated the flow of the game. Today Fremantle mostly did that and we were forced to react. I just hope the coaching team aren’t satisfied with that.

Let’s see what Mitchell says in his presser and how the coaches votes go. I’m happy we won but I’m not happy with the way the game was played. In our run of consecutive wins we took the initiative and completely dictated the flow of the game. Today Fremantle mostly did that and we were forced to react. I just hope the coaching team aren’t satisfied with that.
Gotta win ugly sometimes and when it's 12th versus 4th on the ladder it's fair to expect the other team is going to get on top at some stage. Think you're being far too critical.

I feel like some supporters think we should be dominating sides as though we've still got the threepeat team just because we've started winning again.

The belief in this team is ridiculous!!
Freo had us on the ropes multiple times but they just dug deep and refused to give in.
Banged up skipper stood tall to lead the team.
Meek was huge against Jackson
Weddle had a great game - took on many different roles.
Worpel, Nash, Day and Newcombe were all huge in the last quarter.
What about Sam Frost’s corridor kick to Jarman Impey opened up an opportunity to get the ball rolling!
I actually rewound the coverage a few seconds to confirm that was indeed Frosty.

If this is the reincarnation of 'Frost-ball', bring it on!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back