Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never visited the freo board. Haha some quality melts in there. Will visit again! Wiz absolutely living rent free

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk
Did the same. What a bunch of muppets. Even saying that we are not very talented, we just won because Sam has a good game plan. There footy knowledge is as empty as there trophy cabinet.

The point they’re trying to make is that just because we won doesn’t mean that we played very well. You sound more focused on the W column when we really need to find a way to achieve the dominance we had over West coast Richmond etc over the better teams. Perhaps this ugly win was the first step to that but only time will tell and there will continue to be grumblings until we are back to dominating the league and winning threepeats. I think that’s pretty healthy actually.

I don’t see too many teams in our stretch of the ladder doing that either, most of them lodging more L than us

Is there any other team that has such an even spread of contributors at the moment? We have our stars who stand up at times, but our spread is better than I’ve seen in almost a decade.

It’s very difficult to pick the best players, as an argument could be made for 12+ players to be top 5 for us.

For me, that’s our best win. Freo are the in form side of the comp.
With that spread, it's going to be scary for the competition once we get some absolutely elite talent in the side.

I've never visited the freo board. Haha some quality melts in there. Will visit again! Wiz absolutely living rent free

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

I wonder if their board sooks harder and more pathetically than ours. We have some A grade spuds, who seem to post less after a victory and more after a loss.

The point they’re trying to make is that just because we won doesn’t mean that we played very well. You sound more focused on the W column when we really need to find a way to achieve the dominance we had over West coast Richmond etc over the better teams. Perhaps this ugly win was the first step to that but only time will tell and there will continue to be grumblings until we are back to dominating the league and winning threepeats. I think that’s pretty healthy actually.
What the hell are u on about we had games where we struggled to get over the line against mediocre teams and good teams during our dominant era. That's with us being genuine champion team. We r no where near that yet still building our way to it. We beat a team that is 2 to 3 years ahead of us on that path and we are still one of the form teams of the comp. Starting 0-5 for the year.

That game was like a final plenty of finals where we just scraped over the line but won. I don't understand your angst at all the focus should be the wins. Do u think we r in premiership contention? As Sam has put it we r a work in progress. Plenty to work on. We r trying to fast track as much as possible but it is still a journey

Don't think Harv's has that much rep to worry about in the wider AFL re coaching aspirations.
Not seen as a particularly good communicator and I don't believe heavily considered for senior coaching opportunities.

Oh, and he was gobsmackingly wrong about Sam who has had glowing reports from West Coast players as to his acumen and abilities to effect change with his thoughts about the game, not to mention he hit the ground sprinting in his ability to connect with the young fellas at Box Hill.

Montagna would absolutely know now he wrongly got off a winning horse, but has to bide his time till he can come back on to us and hope most will have forgotten.
Remember Robert Harvey was the guy who got Stan Alves sacked shortly after he took them to their first grand final in decades.

Robert Harvey was a great player, one of the best of his era however he is Stkilda to the bone. Absolutely allergic to winning and are content with their version of success.

If Hawthorn had as low standards of success as Stkilda we'd be considering 2001 as our golden era. I legit saw a Saints fan comment Hannebry was "worth every penny" due to him playing well in an elimination final win.

Talking Hawks Six Points Review Podcast

I just watched the replay.

Honestly, it is still hard to see how we won.

They marked everything at centre half back.

We just kicked the ball to their players.

Weird.
You are right that our forward entries were often repulsed. We also made some terrible unforced errors in the back half. Sp, why did we win?
1. We never let Freo get hold of the game.
2. We achieved midfield dominance in the final quarter which meant the sheer weight of forward entries created scoring opportunities.
3. Moving Sicily enabled us to capitalise on those entries.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood just won a flag off the back not necessarily dominating games, but staying in positions where they can be competitive and always giving themselves an opportunity to win. There are many pathways to success in the AFL.

If you're judging the threepeat team as the standard that we need to achieve, I have a feeling you'll be disappointed forever - particularly if you're expecting us in our current iteration to have commanding wins over top 4 sides.

Prior to the weekend Freo were the best defensive team in the comp.

They set up well to halt ball movement and they have strong interceptors.

Kids only have two heads if their mum can't outrun her brothers.
That's your best one for a while. My mum was the daughter of a Tasmanian wood cutter, explains her leg speed I guess.
Prior to the weekend Freo were the best defensive team in the comp.

They set up well to halt ball movement and they have strong interceptors.
Yes, I thought they played well, so great for us to win against adversity as they say. Find a way. I think we were lacking a tall up front, maybe it showed a bit today. Freo did a good job of keeping Chol away from where he wanted to be. Both sides had quite a lot of 'unforced errors', more than I would have thought usual. Perhaps it was slippery. Great pressure game to win.

We had numerous 'ugly wins' between '13 and '15...

I was at the MCG in 2013 against the Gold Coast when we let a young Aaron Hall kick 5 goals. We even trailed at half time.
Buddy dropped multiple chest marks on his way to the most unconvincing 5 goal performance I've ever seen from the great man.

I was at the MCG in 2013 against the Gold Coast when we let a young Aaron Hall kick 5 goals. We even trailed at half time.
Buddy dropped multiple chest marks on his way to the most unconvincing 5 goal performance I've ever seen from the great man.
To be honest, I don’t really remember anything that specific off the top of my head, but I do remember walking away from games thinking ‘well that was unconvincing, but we bank the four and move on.’

I just want to say to those of u who saw that game and are complaining about being dominated or us not playing well. Guess what we r not out there by ourselves. Fremantle came to play. Their pressure was high and they have some really good players.

This was one of our best games of the season given the opponent. Unlike last week where we folded under the pressure we gave some of it back. Yes there was some frustrating moments going inside 50 and yes some players were being over shadowed by their opponents. It would have been easy for us to lie down and give up after 3rd qtr.

Meeky who was dominated in that 3rd qtr by his opponent after spending the whole qtr on the ground symbolised our fight. Newk followed Meek's example and the rest of the team lifted.

I am not sure some of u realise what a great win that was against a really good opponent in a finals like intensity game.

I am over the ****in moon was really worried about this game. Onwards and upwards
Love everything about this post. Fremantle played very intense hard footy. So did we. The tackling of both sides was exceptional. The ebb and flow of the game was great. It was tight, tough and definitely higher intensity than most games we have played in this year.

We were ultimately up to the task and our efficiency inside 50 and ability to convert in the last term was what saw us overcome a quality opponent. This despite Freo shading us in most "statistical" categories across the day. We won the most important category of the day - the scoreboard - by making more of the chances we created.

F***ing hell that was great. Stressful on my heart in the third and fourth quarters, but worth it in the end. 11th on the ladder, percentage out of the eight baby! Watson great pressure, deserved two goals (Calsh will be glad it wasn’t too close in the end), and pressure great. Sic amazing in the back and front lines. Who would’ve thought our key defender captain would go forward and kick three to win the game for us. One of chols worst game this season, couldn’t mark it or get the ball to ground. Day and Newc great in the midfield. Scrimma, Frosty nice keeping the backline up without Sic. Dear good with the two goals, an exceptional marker of the ball. Hopefully Mass is okay for next week and we can get Ginni back as well. Ward good back in the side, deserved his spot. Meek great in the ruck against an all Australian ruckman. Worpel and Jars consistent as always. Moore and Amon keeping out of the spotlight but still great. CMac and Hardwick had some questionable moments, but didn’t cost the game in the end luckily. Nice to have Breust back. Looking forward to Pies rematch next week, if we win it we’ll be above them on the ladder. The run home looks pretty f***ing nice at the moment. Can’t wait to see where we go, but one week at a time. Meek Monday coming up… then the Magpies. Most wins under Sammy in a year so far, and plenty still to come. Loving life as a Hokman.
1721019206109.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back