Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure I agree on the North game as an example of good coaching

That North game was just a good old fashioned shit team playing above their level for 3 and a half quarters

Nineteen. Goals. Straight.

We will never see that again in our lifetime. Let alone from a bottom of the ladder team.

-45 marks
-68 possessions
-3 inside 50

Against the then worst team.

If that blue print works for them, it’ll work for better teams and it has

How would you know? Finn doesn't look up to it but he was given a run of games to prove himself. Reef has been sub, emergency, on or off and never given a run at it.
I know because every time he has played he has been miles off it. He’s never going to be a kpf, but he can’t really find the ball. 3rd tall maybe, but I still don’t see it.

I really hope he comes on but I just don’t see it unfortunately. He’s not a first year player, he’s in his 4th..

I'd be more than ok with us freeing up a shit tonne of cap space letting Sidebottom, Pendles, Howe and Checkers retire this season and chase a forward, mid and back to replace them armed with big contract offers to RFAs
Only works if they are available, want to come to us, and if in contract we have the capital to get a deal done

I know because every time he has played he has been miles off it. He’s never going to be a kpf, but he can’t really find the ball. 3rd tall maybe, but I still don’t see it.

I really hope he comes on but I just don’t see it unfortunately. He’s not a first year player, he’s in his 4th..
Miles off it? He's kicked goals in limited time on field on a number of occasions. I think he looks like he belongs out there- far more than Mcrae, Long or even Sullivan.

Because the thread starter choose that option and we didn't see the need to override that, but given the amount of grumbling over such a trivial thing …
Almost tempted to start a poll on which one should be used for losses from now on :p

a. Review
b. Autopsy

Has our system been worked out? Or with the injury list we have, the system has broken down due to continuity in the 22?
I think it's system.

Offensively, we're struggling to move the footy out of defence. We get numbers back and thus have to either run it out or hit up someone on the wing to allow time for players to get forward. With rushed kicks out we're really outnumbered and that's what we're getting forced into.

Defensively we give them backwards and sideways kicks and teams are getting very good at shifting us and moving it to 70 out without a contest or any risk.

We play around with the ball too much.
Ply with a little more purpose when we have the footy in hand and our backline won’t be so far out of position and under less pressure.

What hurts is how close the competition is. We come to play against GC, Essendon, Geelong and hold on against Freo and we sit comfortably in the top 4- Even with our injuries.

Can’t tell me that any of those sides are better than us.

Sneak into the 8 and unleash hell.

Hard to reconcile what has happened since last years’ prelim, where we were able to stop GWS scoring for 7 min of game time, to now where we can’t stop a team from getting goals in the last quarter when chasing a lead.

Close games are now losses not wins

We’re losing by bigger margins each week. Twice now this season, we’ve lost 3 in a row. Hopefully we don’t continue this streak!

To me, it looks like they’re no longer buying in. The belief we all spoke of, has gone.

No opposition will be rating our comeback attempts now. The self fulfilling prophecy where teams would get rattled as soon as they saw us coming, that’s done.

Injuries have played a part. A big part. But it’s more than that.

The outnumber. The pressure. The ability to stop opponents from scoring. The ability to score quickly in bursts ourselves. These all require effort. It’s a taxing game style but you are rewarded for effort.

Signature of both 2022 back half of the season, and especially 2023.

Saw a small glimpse of it between rounds 3 and 9 or so this year. But everything that was Craig McRaes brand has all but disappeared now.

I think he’s lost the playing group. I don’t know how he gets them back now.

What a ride 2022 and 2023 were. We were so spoilt. It was thrilling. Now it’s a memory. The ride is over.
Seriously?

Get outside and touch some grass

I think it's system.

Offensively, we're struggling to move the footy out of defence. We get numbers back and thus have to either run it out or hit up someone on the wing to allow time for players to get forward. With rushed kicks out we're really outnumbered and that's what we're getting forced into.

Defensively we give them backwards and sideways kicks and teams are getting very good at shifting us and moving it to 70 out without a contest or any risk.
If it's the system you need to wait until all our players aren't injured before you make the call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pass it over brother
Kirbs and Fat smokin' a juicy one together.
I'd say pass it over to the left-hand side, but he's sitting across from me. No one else sharing.
Makes it way easier to read shit posts when high.

We’ve missed a running half back with an elite kick since Daicos has gone into the midfield. We’ve played Ryan and DeMattia at half back in the vfl, but neither have the burst run

HDM had his best game in the VFL today against the Cats so definitely building. I thought Parker might be the 1 to make an impact this season but the injury Gods have put paid to that.

HDM had his best game in the VFL today against the Cats so definitely building. I thought Parker might be the 1 to make an impact this season but the injury Gods have put paid to that.
Unfortunate injury for parker, but I think he'll be better once he has a full pre-season. So I think next year he plays a fair bit

If it's the system you need to wait until all our players aren't injured before you make the call.
Players back will make us better. There's several different phases that will improve with better personnel. But I think there's an underlying system issue. How we move it out of defence and how we defend the opposition moving it out of their defence. I think opposition coaches have gotten on top of us and we need to adapt.

Pretty simple solution.

We like it fast and manic.
Opposition has worked out playing keepings off and spreading the ball around works.

So how do you counter that?

1) when we have the ball, by all means play fast and manic.
2) when we dont have the ball....FOR F...K sakes, man up! Dont bother with zones. Beat your opposing man.

That will be our only hope to make something of 2024.

Given the last 3 loses, we are still only 2 games from 2nd spot. Hard to believe.

Just need the players to believe!
Exactly, when the momentum starts going against us we need to be able to tighten up, why the hell are guys guarding space not men?
Teams are just sifting into pockets of space we give up, and move it that way.
The other thing is we are also being hurt by the long ball entry, I used to be confident last year we would kill most entries, this year we are being killed in that area too.

In addition to all of our injury woes, almost everyone seems horribly out of form.

Here’s a challenge - how many players can you list who could be described as currently playing their roles really well?

I’ll have a go……

Nick Daicos
John Noble
Darcy Cameron
Ummm……
Ahhh……

Yep, that’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
McStay Begg Cox Steene Beau Mitch Ellliot ................................................... a ridiculous post deserves equally derisive response !

Last edited:
He is a constant.

Kept doing "Billy" things last night when everyone else around him was melting down.

Was so good seeing Jamie back, his leading patterns, his one-on-one work with defenders, that amazing goal. Reinforced how much we’ve missed him. While we still lost, our forward line at least had some sense of danger with him there.

Almost tempted to start a poll on which one should be used for losses from now on :p

a. Review
b. Autopsy

What about ‘Self-immolation’ as a thread title for losses? Kind of reflects what goes on in here afterwards (and to which I contribute…)

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back