Autopsy Round 19 = Hawthorn 133-67 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL culture is very agist. All I've heard this week is how we are too old and slow. I find it hard to believe that we're playing the way we are because of Pendles and Sidey's sudden decline.

I would argue the NHL is an equally physical sport that requires better burst agility than AFL.

Yet, in the NHL, clubs keep older guys around on low salaries to develop youth, provide 4th line depth and playoff experience.

Why wouldn't you want Pendles and Sidey on $400k each playing and coaching in the VFL until they are 40?

They would have a far bigger impact on our list than a random rookie pickup.

Not against balancing our list profile in the off season, particularly in the contested footy department, but I hope we don't get pressured into letting go of these two legends too easily. Their influence is immense.

Last edited:

I don’t think it’s right to celebrate Shultz trade at start of the year and then bag the trade now. If you were never a fan of the trade, fine, bag away. But I feel there’s a lot of Derek Hindsight Campaigners on this site.
Absolutely, the vast majority of us saw it as an upgrade. It might still prove to be the case.

Absolutely, the vast majority of us saw it as an upgrade. It might still prove to be the case.

Give our circumstances, the trade was fine and undertaken with the right intent. Carlton were also keen on Schultz and he might be the missing piece for them.

As a player Schultz is decent and brings forward pressure - when he isn't playing the ball pings out of forward line. We are a better team when he is playing.

However, if we decide to change tact and go into a rebuild phase then the trade and what we gave up will look worse.

Give our circumstances, the trade was fine and undertaken with the right intent. Carlton were also keen on Schultz and he might be the missing piece for them.

As a player Schultz is decent and brings forward pressure - when he isn't playing the ball pings out of forward line. We are a better team when he is playing.

However, if we decide to change tact and go into a rebuild phase then the trade and what we gave up will look worse.

well said!

Slightly off topic but I've been super impressed by Jeff Browne's handling of the media this week. He seems to strike a good balance between being measured and having conviction. Overall, even though I am not happy with our season, I feel OK about where we are 'at' as a footy club and believe we will bounce back.

AFL culture is very agist. All I've heard this week is how we are too old and slow. I find it hard to believe that we're playing the way we are because of Pendles and Sidey's sudden decline.

I would argue the NHL is an equally physical sport that requires better burst agility than AFL.

Yet, in the NHL, clubs keep older guys around on low salaries to develop youth, provide 4th line depth and playoff experience.

Why wouldn't you want Pendles and Sidey on $400k each playing and coaching in the VFL until they are 40?

Not against balancing our list profile in the off season, particularly in the contested footy department, but I hope we don't get pressured into letting go of these two legends too easily. Their influence is immense.

Restrictive list sizes reduce the capacity for a club to retain older players for too long once their senior opportunities dry up. Id also assume the players desire to keep putting in the hard yards of training might wane if there’s little senior opportunity in their future. I like that we offer older players +1 year deals. Gives both the club and the player the opportunity to pull the pin when the time comes.

No NHL salaries are low. They stick around and earn heaps more than they would if they retired - that's not the case with "low" AFL salaries.

Agree - and would add the fastest way to develop youth, is too ensure they have experienced mentors and leaders.
That ensures far more productive list management, as those who won’t make are released early, and those with significant upside nurtured and prioritized.

Watch us beat Carlton!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t post much, given how long I’ve been here and I certainly don’t make posts of this nature.

It was a forgone conclusion. We win these types of games 8/10 and they stood up for Scott’s 400th.

Beautiful to watch!!

We’re not done yet…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19 = Hawthorn 133-67 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back