Autopsy Round 20, 2021 v Essendon - first win against Bombers at the MCG in 98 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love to sneak a top 4 spot, probably deserve it. Havnt really had a bad hit of form this year. Unbelievable season

Worst form was probably that stretch where we scraped past Bombers, lost to Giants, got pumped by GCS, and then scraped by Geelong. Got back into our groove after that (excluding Hawks loss).

Our biggest issue at centre bounces is converting first possession into effective clearances. The dead give away is how many of Essendon's whiz-bang centre clearances actually started as Swans possessions. Horse needs to get serious about changing the midfield as we are where we were 4 years ago and compared to the rest of the team where you can really see the evolution and changes that have been made for the betterment of the team, the midfield is lagging big time.

I will get in trouble for this but oh well. Just my view.
Yep we got killed in the middle all day long. Desperately need Warner back in there. Hopefully Rowbottom turns a corner too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just goes to show how critical a top
4 spot is. We can have this amazing season, finish 5th have one poor game and it’s all over. Really need to get these next 3 wins to give ourselves a chance

PA play WB in last game. If they get beaten and we win our last 3 we get 4th.

I agree.

It's not a huge worry that we lose clearances around the ground so much as I think we set up in a way where we focus on winning possession at half back the way richmond did so you concede a few.

The real worry is the way teams just waltz out of centre clearances against us with no pressure at all. We look way too slow.

Not exactly sure what we are doing with our centre setups really.

I dont think we are having entire quarters where the midfield is getting obliterated at centre bounces so much anymore which is an improvement. But we arent really improving our centre clearance work very much either and we are obviously unwilling to move to a more defensive centre setup with opposition mids frequently finding themselves with time and space and not enough pressure when exiting the contest.

Feel we are heavily dependent upon Hickey getting his clearances to take the pressure off the mids.
Not sure it is going to hold up that well in finals but Warner should help.

Hope Heeney’s thumb is ok. Probably gonna swell up this week.

Youd have Parker kick for your life above anyone at the Swans. He is smart to get most of his kicks in the corridor but still he really is reliable.

Blakey is going to have you tear your hair out but the good is very good should be encouraged no matter what.

Reid showed again how important his marking option is. Dawson overshadowed him but to have those two guys opposite sides and Cartin in the middle back we have some reliable hands.

I felt so bad so so very bad that Essendon fans were robbed of their opportunity to boo Buddy. It’s a cruel world sometimes.

Blakey is going to have you tear your hair out but the good is very good should be encouraged no matter what.

What impressed me today with Blakey was his ability to break even 1-on-1 defensively - its the obvious glaring weakness in his game potentially playing in the defensive half that good teams may well seek to exploit. But he did some really good stuff at criticial times in that part of his game. One thing playing down back will teach him in time too is not to panic - which will help him minimise the number of 'headless chicken/kamikaze leo' moments. Has been great since coming back in, and between him and Dawson we have two really dynamic weapons by foot coming out of the back half.

Only my opinion but we are better away from the contested ground of Sydney were clearances are more important that any ground in Australia

We’re an outside team atm and bigger grounds help but still need to win the ball from centre clearances

Gladys should get a premiership medal is what you are saying ?

What impressed me today with Blakey was his ability to break even 1-on-1 defensively - its the obvious glaring weakness in his game potentially playing in the defensive half that good teams may well seek to exploit. But he did some really good stuff at criticial times in that part of his game. One thing playing down back will teach him in time too is not to panic - which will help him minimise the number of 'headless chicken/kamikaze leo' moments. Has been great since coming back in, and between him and Dawson we have two really dynamic weapons by foot coming out of the back half.

This was one of my great concerns but he’s been pretty good defensively, usually at least gets a fist to the ball

Gladys should get a premiership medal is what you are saying ?

You laugh but I do genuinely think we would have lost a lot more games than we have had we been playing at the SCG.

A great game, everything on the line for the Bombers and our boys just turning up wherever the AFL want us to play. Took a bit of time to settle down and then put them to the sword. Nothing better than a bomber flame out. There is real belief in the system which suits our group & its only going to get better. Even effort across the board. Papley, Mc Cartin, Parker, Rampe, Mills, Dawson tremendous. When the team needs to lift its pressure rating Parker steps up and leads the way a great captain leading a young team. September here we come.

Just goes to show how critical a top
4 spot is. We can have this amazing season, finish 5th have one poor game and it’s all over. Really need to get these next 3 wins to give ourselves a chance

Exactly what happened in 2017 one awful game against Geelong and **** our comeback from 0-6 meant nothing.

Sport is cruel like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20, 2021 v Essendon - first win against Bombers at the MCG in 98 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back