Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I kept waiting for the foot to come off the pedal and us to cruise to a 6 goal win. Have we ever beaten someone by this much under hinkley?
We beat an abysmal Suns team by the same margin in 2017 - a week before THAT elimination final.

To come home after a game like that and turn on Kayo to watch the replay only to hear the feckin Crows Football Director is one of the game commentators sucks balls.

After our biggest win in God knows how long, I nursed a hard on all the way home and it vanished in seconds as soon as Brereton and Ricciuto started their ear numbing BS.

WTF is it worth having 4K vision if you’ve got analogue sound.

/rant

Last edited:
The pieces have really come together over the last 6 weeks:
Logan Evans in the mid season draft
Bergman back into defence
Esava forward
Jordan Sweet as no 1 ruck
Mcentee banished
Dixon back
Marshall injured
Drew and Wines at the coalface
Georgiades hitting some sweet form
Burgoyne cementing place on wing
Rioli back from wherever
I’d also add Jones finally showing some footy IQ and good decision making. Most composed game I’ve seen him play tonight.

Rozee may be our Captain, but Horne-Francis is our General. Watching him instruct the troops around him on positioning and tactics was great to see. His utter focus on winning the ball, even when we're 90pts up, was just immense.

We had a lot of amazing players tonight but he stood out as the best of them.

The balance in the team forward and back looks really good. It’s nice to have another forward who can take a big grab.
Also the midfield balance looks spot on with Wines and Drew in there.
I agree. Marshall needs to play in the SANFL, our forward line functions far better without him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoroughly enjoyed tonight. Was great feeling at the ground.
So many people wondering if they were dreaming!

Horne-Francis could end up the GOAT if we can build the team around him.

Drew was tremendous.

Georgiades is exactly the player we all hoped he would be.

Esava takes so much pressure off Dixon. Keep this up and he’ll be worth what we paid for him!

Last edited:
Does everyone still want to lose and calling those that don’t happy clappers that should fck off?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Who wants to lose? Dumb comment. People here only want to lose to hurry Hinkley out of the club. You know, that guy that’s presided over the club for 12 years, a record amount of time without a GF appearance? Great win tonight. I enjoyed it. Don’t come out here with bs comments like you’ve been vindicated. See you in GF week.

The balance in the team forward and back looks really good. It’s nice to have another forward who can take a big grab.
Also the midfield balance looks spot on with Wines and Drew in there.
BZT & Aliir as the sole bigs down there just seems to work, up the other end as much as I still have hope for Todd it has looked much better up there without him and Jez trundling around like they don't give a shit.

Rozee may be our Captain, but Horne-Francis is our General. Watching him instruct the troops around him on positioning and tactics was great to see. His utter focus on winning the ball, even when we're 90pts up, was just immense.

We had a lot of amazing players tonight but he stood out as the best of them.
JHF will be the best player to have played for the club.

The pieces have really come together over the last 6 weeks:
Logan Evans in the mid season draft
Bergman back into defence
Esava forward
Jordan Sweet as no 1 ruck
Mcentee banished
Dixon back
Marshall injured
Drew and Wines at the coalface
Georgiades hitting some sweet form
Burgoyne cementing place on wing
Rioli back from wherever
I've been writing about this and the coaches since about the Lions loss have really tweaked the team.

Last week against the Blues there was good evidence that we are playing a slightly different brand of footy and some structures and philosophies had changed which goes back to the Lions loss.

During the game, John Hinckley Jr that we had Georgiades and Rioli out when we lost to the Suns during our recent form and if they were playing, we would have won and it is very possible.

Basically the players who were super down on form or not hitting the contest are not in the team. They are Burton, McEntee, Finlayson and Marshall. Some of those players were net negatives.

Our midfield seems more rounded with Drew and Wines playing hard. At the moment, we don't need the Three Amigos to go ballistic to win games but they are playing well.

Two questions - 1. Is Georgiades the in form KPF in the game? Is Georgiades the best KPF in the game?

Sweet is also a huge factor in this lot of form.

Bergman going back to 3rd tall means he is in AA form.

Esava up forward is providing a strong contest where Marshall and Finlayson were not.

At the start of the year, the forward line was 1. Dixon, 2. Marshall 3. Georgiades but now the forrward line goes through 1. Georgiades 2. Esava 3. Dixon. Kudos to Dixon for going from 1st banana to 3rd banana and keeping it real.

Rioli coming back into the team when he was playing Top 5 at the club helps a lot too.

The backline is more accountable and locked in together and a shout out to rookie Logan Evans for making an impact and he and they are playing the right way. The strong marking of Bergman really helps stop opposition forays in their tracks.

So Georgiades, Wines, Drew, Bergman, Sweet and Aliir have all elevated their games or more importantly, been put into positions in which to excel and they have all been outstanding and borderline game winners.

Some of the younger guys continue to develop like Jase Burgoyne, Lachie Jones and Jackson Mead.

So I have give praise to the coaching staff no matter who it is, Kenny or Josh Carr but there has been a fundamental shift in the team and it has helped with play but also psychologically as they are starting to play with confidence.

And the thing is we still have a lot of improving to do and fat to cut.

I said in the Blues preview that if we win that game, our season turns around and no matter how you look at it, even with the most darkened sunglasses at night, the boys are back.

To beat a team of scrubbers by 100 points is great but the top team is impressive. We've smothered the Top 2 teams in consecutive weeks. In that form line, we also took care of the Bulldogs as well.

Also, we are hitting form at the right time of year which is the first time in a long time so kudos to the coaching staff once again.

Last edited:
I agree. Marshall needs to play in the SANFL, our forward line functions far better without him.

It functions better because we have three forwards who actually compete rather than two who do and one who just lets his opponent dominate him whenever he's even vaguely in the vicinity.

That was like watching the Swans play in 1992 or 1993, or Woodville in the 70's.

Or Watching the Powerful Annihilation Machine of the 1970's thru to the 90's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back