Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d also add Jones finally showing some footy IQ and good decision making. Most composed game I’ve seen him play tonight.

He was good. Some strong over head marks, intercept marks and precision kicking. I think it was his 50th game tonight. Has plenty of development to come.

I've been writing about this and the coaches since about the Lions loss have really tweaked the team.

Last week against the Blues there was good evidence that we are playing a slightly different brand of footy and some structures and philosophies had changed which goes back to the Lions loss.

During the game, someone posted that we had Georgiades and Rioli out when we lost to the Suns during our recent form and if they were playing, we would have won and it is very possible.

Basically the players who were super down on form or not hitting the contest are not in the team. They are Burton, McEntee, Finlayson and Marshall. Some of those players were net negatives.

Our midfield seems more rounded with Drew and Wines playing hard. At the moment, we don't need the Three Amigos to go ballistic to win games but they are playing well.

Two questions - 1. Is Georgiades the in form KPF in the game? Is Georgiades the best KPF in the game?

Sweet is also a huge factor in this lot of form.

Bergman going back to 3rd tall means he is in AA form.

Esava up forward is providing a strong contest where Marshall and Finlayson were not.

At the start of the year, the forward line was 1. Dixon, 2. Marshall 3. Georgiades but now the forrward line goes through 1. Georgiades 2. Esava 3. Dixon. Kudos to Dixon for going from 1st banana to 3rd banana and keeping it real.

Rioli coming back into the team when he was playing Top 5 at the club helps a lot too.

The backline is more accountable and locked in together and a shout out to rookie Logan Evans for making an impact and he and they are playing the right way. The strong marking of Bergman really helps stop opposition forays in their tracks.

So Georgiades, Wines, Drew, Bergman, Sweet and Aliir have all elevated their games or more importantly, been put into positions in which to excel and they have all been outstanding and borderline game winners.

Some of the younger guys continue to develop like Jase Burgoyne, Lachie Jones and Jackson Mead.

So I have give praise to the coaching staff no matter who it is, Kenny or Josh Carr but there has been a fundamental shift in the team and it has helped with play but also psychologically as they are starting to play with confidence.

And the thing is we still have a lot of improving to do and fat to cut.

I said in the Blues preview that if we win that game, our season turns around and no matter how you look at it, even with the most darkened sunglasses at night, the boys are back.

To beat a team of scrubbers by 100 points is great but the top team is impressive. We've smothered the Top 2 teams in consecutive weeks. In that form line, we also took care of the Bulldogs as well.

Also, we are hitting form at the right time of year which is the first time in a long time so kudos to the coaching staff once again.
If you believe Hinkley has changed game plan / philosophy in his 12th year, no disrespect but you must believe in Santa Claus.

Who cares he was right to take the piss out of the suggestion, I'm a tosser as well so are you.
Bit sick of Melbourne centric media w***ers like Gary the tosser lyin tellin us how it is
Same bloke who achieved nothing in finals himself. Personally or team wise
Assumes everyone is a loser like himself & barely knows the name of interstate players
but yeah
Let’s place a lot of weight in toss kings opinion

You know you're having a ball tearer of a game when:
1. Lachie Jones doesn't drop a single mark all night, when
2. Boak and Wines kick miraculous goals from the boundary line, when
3. not one player triple grabbed nor fumbled a ground ball, when
4. DBJ has a cracker of a match, and when
5. Ratugolea doesn't have a brain implosion.

Bit sick of Melbourne centric media w***ers like Gary the tosser lyin tellin us how it is
Same bloke who achieved nothing in finals himself. Personally or team wise
Assumes everyone is a loser like himself & barely knows the name of interstate players
but yeah
Let’s place a lot of weight in toss kings opinion
He took the piss out of the suggestion tonights result was to do with Sydney's training load you burke as in calling it bullshit.. calm down think about it & it might twig for you.

You know you're having a ball tearer of a game when:
1. Lachie Jones doesn't drop a single mark all night, when
2. Boak and Wines kick miraculous goals from the boundary line, when
3. not one player triple grabbed nor fumbled a ground ball, when
4. DBJ has a cracker of a match, and when
5. Ratugolea doesn't have a brain implosion.
Bottle it, cause we ain't seeing that again.

If you believe Hinkley has changed game plan / philosophy in his 12th year, no disrespect but you must believe in Santa Claus.
I don't have direct experience and it seems highly likely that these changes have come from someone other than Hinkley but I don't know.

However, I will say the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming that it is not Hinkley.

And yes, I do believe in Santa Claus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

L Jones, I did not see one error apart from a smothered kick, and I saw him grabbing the ball cleanly each time, much like his days at the sanfl Eagles. A lot of players executed skills really well tonight. I saw players desperate to win the 50/50, and winning it, and saw man on man tight marking, and I saw their confidence rocketing. When the game was hot at the beginning, I saw the ball being moved forward with a kick and players up the ground presenting with hard running. I saw four quarters of football and we did not concede the margin.

I saw no need to squeeze/force Marshall back into the squad and if they try to do so then whoever is responsible for it is a dead set dimwit. I am not a Marshall knocker at all, but he's been badly out of form for the entire year, which I think does the bloke no good at all gifting him games. He needs to earn his spot, but it will be such a Hinkley weakness if they bring him back in if today's squad remains fit.

McEntee as emergency was an absolute master-stroke. Put everyone on notice. If any of youse don't perform, Jed is in next week.

Very enjoyable game, wish big Sav nailed at least one more to give him some confidence in front of goals. Seriously can't believe how big he is, shame they're not doing player weights anymore.

Franky just building nicely. Seems to get in the right spots, forward line tends to get a little too crowded to get a decent crumbing goal unfortunately. Has a crack anyway, would be a shame if they got rid of him.

He took the piss out of the suggestion tonights result was to do with Sydney's training load you burke as in calling it bullshit.. calm down think about it & it might twig for you.
Fair call
Flew of the handle a bit & didn’t actually listen to Lyons comments
But yeah Sydney look cooked
Port, hawks, dogs seem to be the form teams
Brissy deserved faves
No vic team looks even close

Watta we do with Marshall ? Balance seems to be right.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If I was any good, I'd put Todd Marshall's head on Jason Segels head, and put Ratagolea and Hinkley in the image.

1722693239520.png

Rat has given us more in 2 weeks than Marshall has all year. Todd is one I wouldn't be rushing back in anytime soon.

A truly complete performance tonight.....when we are choc full of confidence, the talent we have can take us to a flag, no doubt.

Loving the cohesion and intensity too, we look like we want it more.....about time.

The balance looks just about perfect, credit where it's due to Hinkley/Carr, granted think Syd and Carl are the two most out of form sides in the 8.

True to Timmys anecdote about Jack, the fans stood and applauded at half time, how could you not, it was thoroughly deserved, just as the boos were a few weeks back, "who do ya think ya fooling".......that's what a supporter base should be, holding the team to account.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does everyone still want to lose and calling those that don’t happy clappers that should fck off?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If anything, all that performance does is highlight exactly why the fans have been unhappy. The result was extreme, but the method and style with which we are playing is just on a complete new level. One we've all believed was possible but have watched us fail to produce.

Let's not lose focus that one game doesn't make a season. If they can keep that rolling then who knows. Sky is the limit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back