Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Watta we do with Marshall ? Balance seems to be right.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Swap him for frank evans , we lose nothing in terms of run or skills , if anything an upgrade lol.

Evans looked several leagues below every other port player out there tonight.

I agree. Marshall needs to play in the SANFL, our forward line functions far better without him.

It functions better because we have three forwards who actually compete rather than two who do and one who just lets his opponent dominate him whenever he's even vaguely in the vicinity.

Lol how were playing has little to do with personnel up front. We played a sanfl plodder tonight in Evans and that didn’t seem to bother us.

Our midfield has gone from insipid and soft to kings and the dump it high to Dixon in a flooded forward line gameplan has vanished. In the last two weeks our midfield has lowered their eyes and looked for targets more time than the 12 years in total before

How can anyone attribute that to Marshall doesn’t work hardery some such nonsense? No amount of anything one kf does changes how the team delivers the ball forward. Certainly Mitch in all his talent has never changed how we deliver the ball whether he’s in or out of the side.

The simplest answer to why our forward line looks more cohesive the last 2 weeks in games where our dominant midfield has used the ball so well?

From a fan base that said for a decade in unison, “gee this flooding the forward line and dumping it onto Dixon’s head so we can aim to lock it in and score from stoppages doesn’t work why won’t the coach change it” …

I mean do we think it’s coincidence that an entire fanbases main gripe was this one thing, this thing has finally changed (arguably only cause the coach was forced by Dixon’s form) and we have the exact result we said would happen?

This is exactly what happened before, has everyone forgot that our fan base lamented Ken’s attraction to playing small forwards deep and picking hardly any kfs while our opponents just took intercept marks galore and we all said, gee ****face if you stop picking smalls and playing them as kfs that will stop! And Lo and behold, list management team forced his hand by getting rid of those smalls, drafting some kfs and suddenly the EXACT bloody thing we said would happen happened.

We’re not prophets, it’s just Hinkley is stubborn and fails to make changes until years later when he’s forced. Obvious bloody things that he should.

Our forward line being more effective when our midfield lowers it eyes and kicks to targets is the headline and it should shock no one.

The last couple of weeks we've cleaned teams up in the last quarter which made me think maybe we have scheduled our fitness run much better this year.

It's hard to tell given our dominance all night but we never let up again and kicked 5.7 in the last quarter to obliterate Sydney. It was finals level pressure for the game for the second week in a row.

One thing that caught my eye in the last quarter was how hard Willie Rioli was working up the ground to present an option on the wing and how hard we ran forward after turning the ball over from Sydney in their forward line.

Our form has been predicated on players playing roles they are good at.
It means the form of the team and overall cohesion is going along very nicely.

To really hit home the form of players, these are the guys I am nominating as playing to a very high level with our recent run of form and team changes. Yours might be different but it should be similar.

Horne-Francis, Houston, Butters, Aliir, Wines, Georgiades, Bergman, Rozee, Rioli, Drew, Sweet.

I don't have a problem if you add Farrell or Zerk in there. Maybe you would take Sweet out.

I remember during the year there was a discussion that Rioli was our 5th best player on form and it was hard to find a player who was 6th or 7th best at the time but at the moment, a lot of guys are playing some really impressive footy.

Rioli back into the team gives us real zip around the goals.
He’s a small forward that kicks goals❤️
Rat definitely moves around creating some confusion for defenders.
JHF playing more forward gives us a bit more class up front.
Marshall and Finn have lost all confidence and look half asleep up forward.
It’s not perfect yet but is looking much more balanced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who wants to lose? Dumb comment. People here only want to lose to hurry Hinkley out of the club. You know, that guy that’s presided over the club for 12 years, a record amount of time without a GF appearance? Great win tonight. I enjoyed it. Don’t come out here with bs comments like you’ve been vindicated. See you in GF week.

So do you want to lose or not? I’m confused.

Did I pinch a nerve?

Plenty have said they desperately want to lose and it’s annoyed the shit out of me because I don’t give a flying fck who the coach is as long as we are winning.

And have been slammed as a happy clapper that loves Kenny for being wired this way. Winning is all that matters to me.

I was one of the first question Hinkley’s coaching back in 2015. But fckn hell it gets ridiculously tiresome having every single thread on this entire board fixated on him.

Good to hear you enjoyed the win but the see you in gf week sarcastic comment makes me wonder what your deal is. I’m just enjoying the win this week, still got a challenge just to make finals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Interestingly Hinkley credited Luke Kelly for improving our ground ball gets.

And he mentioned how the list was healthier compared to this time last year.

The thing about Rat is that he gives the forward line power.

Dixon doesn't have it anymore and Marshall and Finny never had it.

That great mark he took was just brute force.

Power and mobility. His ability to move around the forward line and drag players with him opens up space for Georgiades and Rioli.

That was an incredible game. Probably the most complete team performance I’ve ever seen live, and to think it was against a team which has been top of the ladder by a comfortable margin for the whole year.

Completely dominated them in the first half. Not only was it 45-0 at quarter time, Sydney did not have an effective possession inside their attacking 50 for the whole quarter (in fact I think it was about midway through the second quarter they managed this)

We seem to have found a much better balance across the ground over the past month or so. Sweet in the ruck has been massive. Wines and Drew have lifted and suddenly our midfield balance looks spot on. That’s also released JHF and Rozee to play forward more which makes our forward line much more dynamic. Ratugolea looks much more likely as a target up forward and has helped free up Georgiades. Bergman settling down back has recaptured his form, and BZT and Allir seem to be developing much better chemistry.

If we can continue it there’s a chance of hitting the finals in form with confidence running high.

Brilliant performance by the whole team. The psychology of this team has changed in recent weeks. There's a hunger there now & willingness to work harder for each other. Far better team cohesion & players are now in their optimal positions. It seems as though they want to prove to people who didn't rate the list that they are wrong. That's way better motivation than winning to save your Daddy's job. Was a fun watch tonight. JHF makes me laugh, he's so damn good & he played 4 qtrs tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back