Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

So do you want to lose or not? I’m confused.

Did I pinch a nerve?

Plenty have said they desperately want to lose and it’s annoyed the shit out of me because I don’t give a flying fck who the coach is as long as we are winning.

And have been slammed as a happy clapper that loves Kenny for being wired this way. Winning is all that matters to me.

I was one of the first question Hinkley’s coaching back in 2015. But fckn hell it gets ridiculously tiresome having every single thread on this entire board fixated on him.

Good to hear you enjoyed the win but the see you in gf week sarcastic comment makes me wonder what your deal is. I’m just enjoying the win this week, still got a challenge just to make finals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Last night was probably the best I’ve seen us play under Hinkley. Prior to that, we have in no way looked a premiership threat. That type of football last night was one out of the box. I want to see a body of work like that before I get too excited.
Yes under Hinkley and playing the uninspiring footy we have under him for such a long time I was kind of hoping we’d lose some games so we could all move on and see what another coach could bring, especially as we were looking at missing finals.
But as I’ve previously said I won’t be getting too excited unless we make a GF. Hence my ‘sarcastic’ comment.

Hard to review really such was our dominance . Winners all over the field . I was impressed again by Sweety ,Lauchie Jones’s marking , the team balance with Esava up forward and Drew and Wines in the midfield , no injuries and a massive confidence boost

Hinkley seems to be just messing with the media around Big Sav's position. He did it before the game and again last night post-match.

He did say Todd is in our best 22 but he gave it a heartbeats thought and didn't seem to me like he couldn't wait to rush Todd back in.

I think the official attendance was given as around 37,700 but there must have been over 40,000 there. I don't know how they count our crowds.

It was crazy busy in restaurants and pubs before the game, pastmyprimus and I went to half a dozen before we found one that would squeeze us in and we were in town early.

Heaps of Sydney supporters around the town. It was the busiest I've seen around Adelaide Oval before a Port match for a long time.

I’ve said this before, there’s a lot of corporate tickets , like Adelaide oval tickets that get tickets to both teams games, and from what I remember the business nominates a team they’re a fan of. This is how it worked with my partners ex workplace from what I knew.

The place had half a dozen seats (or more never got an exact number) to use or giveaway , when ever we put our hands up for the port games we were the only ones that got the tickets, apparently the boss never even offered them to anyone else really. The boss used them for crows games or gave them to a cpl of his fav clients / old friends.

a bunch of seats that no one had access to for port games.

I also question whether those seats at port games get counted when we did take them.

I think the official attendance was given as around 37,700 but there must have been over 40,00 there. I don't know how they count our crowds.

It was crazy busy in restaurants and pubs before the game, pastmyprimus and I went to half a dozen before we found one that would squeeze us in and we were in town early.

Heaps of Sydney supporters around the town. It was the busiest I've seen around Adelaide Oval before a Port match for a long time.
Really felt like one of the busiest Port Adelaide matches at Adelaide Oval (outside Showdown & finals) in recent times and was probably the busiest out of the three matches I watched this year with my membership (Lions & Bulldogs other two).

City was busier than normal yesterday but that was probably expected given the Thunderbirds GF in the netball was at the same time so luckily got there in the arvo without the trains clogging up like they usually do.

Great night as always at the footy and hopefully the Power continue to rise up the ladder and play a final or two here so I can attend cheer the Power on come finals time, unless they are playing my mighty Lions of course ;)

Id trade Marshall.

Set shot kicking is nice but when you dont absolutely command the ball as a 195cm key forward and instead just lead to pockets youre pretty much adelaides Lewis Johnston. He needs almost perfect delivery everytime. Mitch Esava and Charlie can have 2-3 players on them and still make a contest or take a mark here or there. Todd gives up.

Ideally he would be the Westhoff/Blicavs winger/floating back. Todd loves going for one handers and does some smart taps at times and is a good kick. He just doesnt have the required intensity, query on fitness and speed for this role and has continually run under the ball all season. He also lets his opponent out jostle him. Theres no way he commands the oppo defenders the way Ratagoulea does

Last night was probably the best I’ve seen us play under Hinkley. Prior to that, we have in no way looked a premiership threat.

Yes as a stand alone game it stands alone as a game where we completely dominated every position for four full quarters. Reckon you'd have to go back to the early 2000s to see better from us.

But I do think the team of 2014 had a real chance of winning the flag - losing only by a kick in the dying minutes of a prelim.

I think the official attendance was given as around 37,700 but there must have been over 40,000 there. I don't know how they count our crowds.

My family and I take a guess at the crowd number at half time and we usually get it right. The 37k number didn't seem to far off to me.

From where we sit (330s) there were plenty of vacant seats in the top level of both the western stand and Riverbank even though the corporates behind us and the concourse during breaks were fuller than normal for our games. The line up for toilets during the breaks were huge.

Agree that there were plenty of Sydney fans. And to their credit their cheer squad made quiet a racket after each goal Sydney kicked - they had plenty of rest period to build up a voice I guess.

I have been sceptical about Esava from day dot. But on the last couple of weeks it is clear that his natural instinct and talent is to mark. He can clunk a ball. A rarity these days. He has size and good athleticism. He is not a natural defender. He needs to stay in the forward line. He takes pressure off Dixon too. I'm not a Todd hater but I just don't see who he replaces in the current set up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow....

Our whole row spent the night going....didn't see that coming. Did you see that coming?

There was a short period there I think in the second for a couple of goals where every pass was perfect, people ran to the right spot etc where it seemed we were the only team on the field (it was that good).

Would be a lot of factors in that win. Some on us some on Sydney but it was bloody good walking out shaking your head saying the wtf was that for a good reason.

Sydney training load excuses or not, their coach looked devastated in his presser.

He was so composed in extremely difficult circumstances. It must have been so hard to answer questions when you know that performance in no way represents your team or its culture.

I have been sceptical about Esava from day dot. But on the last couple of weeks it is clear that his natural instinct and talent is to mark. He can clunk a ball. A rarity these days. He has size and good athleticism. He is not a natural defender. He needs to stay in the forward line. He takes pressure off Dixon too. I'm not a Todd hater but I just don't see who he replaces in the current set up.

opposition teams almost have two Dixon’s to worry about now, one is just younger and athletic.

Finlayson and Marshall don’t have the physical presence Esava has combined.

It’s loosened up the whole forward line.

100% this. Esava is a see ball get ball type of player. He’s having to do too much thinking as a defender and has some woeful lowlights to show for it.

Up forward he clunks marks, crashes packs and has great sense of timing on leads.

I feel that esava still has a lot to offer as a defender in our team. His actual defending hasn’t been that bad, but it’s coloured by his regular howlers in terms of decision making coming out of defence. One on one he is strong, good closing speed, just needs to learn when to try and intercept mark vs trying to kill the ball out of bounds and not let it drop at the foot of the contest. Also get the ball and never again try to kick across goals or backwards. 60m up the line to a contest if you have to.

Lol carn

Has kicked 3 goals in 2 weeks in games our forward line has had the best delivery from the midfield we’ve seen in Ken’s tenure.

If Todd kicked 1 goal 5 in a 112 point drubbing this board would have a car bomb in his driveway lol.

I actually think esava did pretty well, but find it pretty ironic he’s getting celebrated for a performance Todd would get slaughtered for on here.
Marr, he looks so much more intense with his pack contests and size intimidation of Todd. I know you love him, I’m a fan but he is soft and doesn’t provide the physicality Esava does

Dixon geOrgiades ratugOlea Marshall

The prophecy of the Quadrangle has been fulfilled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back