Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember when Drewy went missing to narnia that one year then when he debuted with rozee and co was pigeon holed as “just a blue collar mid nothing special will never be a star.” Like i said back then and i do now teams need these type of mids. Not everyone is a butters or a rozee flashy type, drew lets those guys shine. He was as good if not better in his draft year than mcluggage. Teams think hes a tagger and therefore we wouldnt hit on rely on him to clear and thats what makes him so dangerous. 32 touches 8 clearances but still 8 tackles 11 score involvements not bad for a blue collar mid

funny thing is the same things are said about mead before this year, williams before last year and sinn this year

Marr, he looks so much more intense with his pack contests and size intimidation of Todd. I know you love him, I’m a fan but he is soft and doesn’t provide the physicality Esava does
He also doesn’t provide the skill and touch that Todd has. It’s a matter of what we value more but I think an in form Todd is still a very valuable addition to our forward line. How we go about getting him to re find that form is the million dollar question.

Dixon geOrgiades ratugOlea Marshall

The prophecy of the Quadrangle has been fulfilled.
Thinking about this.

What does Frankie Evans offer that Marshall does not?

People assume more pressure because he is small but Marshall is just as quick and agile.

He is also taller and more skilled.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thinking about this.

People assume more pressure because he is small but Marshall is just as quick and agile.

Evans puts his head over the ball and tackles when it's his turn to go

If you didn't enjoy that you're dead inside.

From the opening bounce to the final kick the most complete game of footy we have played in years. Maybe ever.

Can't beat top 4 teams.
Can't wn on a Saturday night.
Can't do this and can't do that.
Did it.

Horne Francis is a freak. Insanely good.
Sweet is a behemoth. He physically crushed Grundy.

You could go through them all tonight, they all did something.
That really felt like an 'all played well' game you used to get in under 16s

Dunno how everyone else feels but last night was the first time the reaction moved from 'whatever, just playing out time til he's sacked' to 'maybe... just maybe' all year. It's ridiculous it takes a 19 goal win against the best team in the comp to get any sort of movement in the needle going, incite anything more than abject apathy, but that's where we are.

Let's see how it plays out I guess.

Last edited:
Dunno how everyone else feels but last night was the first time the reaction moved from 'whatever, just playing out time til he's sacked' to 'maybe... just maybe' all year. It's ridiculous it takes a 19 goal win against the best team in the comp to get any sort of movement in the needle going, incite anything more than abject apathy, but that's where we are.

Yeah me too.

And given you win a flag on average every 18-19 years I found myself calculating whether winning a flag now and putting up with 5 more years before we get the genuine clean out we need is worth it.

I decided it is.

Especially as they may feel it's job done and move on anyway.

I feel like if we won one this year it will be a fluke or circumstances and in no way repeatable but I still think you have to take one when you can get it and then try and work on the deeper issues anyway.

Last edited:

I enjoyed last night, but I've been burned by that ****ing bumpkin so many times it did nothing for my needle. I'll believe when we win a prelim.

Even at half time I was still "eh, they'll come back, we'll win by 3 goals"

But hey, its a crazy year, everyones been thrashed, noone is standing out, maybe, just maybe, we are coming good at the right time for once.

Credit where due, last night was a peerless, seamless game of utter perfection.
Hardly a single fumble, missed target or dropped mark all night.
Nailed virtually every tackle.
Straight kicking for goal.
Open forward line with plenty of space and moving targets, plus the mids raised their eyes and hit the leads.
Overlap running.
Picked up ground balls at full pace like they had Araldite on their hands.
Could not ever surpass that if they tried.

Still have trepidation that it will still implode at the pointy end of the season, so muted excitement atm.

Wish I could enjoy the moment, but I'm too emotionally bruised and battle scarred to dream big and believe any more.

Evans puts his head over the ball and tackles when it's his turn to go

Marshall averages as many tackles as any of our other key forwards, and that's despite a couple of the others regularly relieving in the ruck. He lacks physicality overall but he's still going in and making tackles. There is plenty to be critical of him about, especially this season, but it's not putting his head over the ball when he's had repeated head knocks due to concussion issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marshall averages as many tackles as any of our other key forwards, and that's despite a couple of the others regularly relieving in the ruck. He lacks physicality overall but he's still going in and making tackles. There is plenty to be critical of him about, especially this season, but it's not putting his head over the ball when he's had repeated head knocks due to concussion issues.
So which key forward goes out for him?

Well put. Feel the same,

I think what last night displayed it that we are capable of playing the best football of any team in the league.

After sitting there almost speechless, you just cannot say we are not a genuine flag possibility.

Whether Ken can coach and maintain this football all the way is the big question.

We haven't witnessed a game like that in a decade.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s building, Essendon destruction, killed Pisa early, Geelong early, Bulldogs same now Sydney.

We beat all current top 8 minus GWS and Brisbane.

None. It'll be either Evans or Narkle. I just hope they don't move Rategolea back into defence and ruin the structure of the side so they can squeeze Marshall back in.
Then I don’t understand the comparison of tackles. I think Marshall coming in for a small will ruin the structure. I would love to know stats on getting to contests, as Evans at least gets to them. Also, who is quicker. Marshall as a sub lacks flexibility. Rats going back means one of our backline goes out. Who?

Lovely dilemma to have!

So which key forward goes out for him?

I didn't say I wanted to drop a key forward, I was just responding to someone who was arguing that Marshall doesn't tackle.

Enviable Tradition said that Marshall could come in for Francis Evans and make us better. I tend to agree, especially if he's being used as a CHF linkman up the ground where his marking on the lead and excellent delivery can shine.

So do you want to lose or not? I’m confused.

Did I pinch a nerve?

Plenty have said they desperately want to lose and it’s annoyed the shit out of me because I don’t give a flying fck who the coach is as long as we are winning.

And have been slammed as a happy clapper that loves Kenny for being wired this way. Winning is all that matters to me.

I was one of the first question Hinkley’s coaching back in 2015. But fckn hell it gets ridiculously tiresome having every single thread on this entire board fixated on him.

Good to hear you enjoyed the win but the see you in gf week sarcastic comment makes me wonder what your deal is. I’m just enjoying the win this week, still got a challenge just to make finals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
100% with you on your feelings, winning is always good.

Thinking about this.

Interesting. Could Marshall actually play as a small forward? 🤔

Plenty have said they desperately want to lose and it’s annoyed the shit out of me because I don’t give a flying fck who the coach is as long as we are winning.

You understand that the head coach has a significant impact on culture, gameplan and performance, right?

We all want to win. We all want to be able to get excited by this team and we all want to be able to enjoy genuine hope that we can win the flag each year. Every single person posting here has probably spent thousands of hours and thousands of dollars supporting this club. The negativity comes from a place of deep, longstanding disappointment with how the club conducts itself that seemingly never ends.

We've had that hope crushed time and time again by this team under this coach where we don't stand up when it matters in September. People aren't robots, you can't just flick a switch and make them believe again after what we've been through for a decade.

Coming on this board and having a crack at people who are fed up after 12 long years of disappointment is completely misplaced anger. Get angry with the club for fostering this losing culture. Fos had some pretty clear instructions on what to do when your club is infested with losers.

So do you want to lose or not? I’m confused.

Did I pinch a nerve?

And have been slammed as a happy clapper that loves Kenny for being wired this way. Winning is all that matters to me.

I was one of the first question Hinkley’s coaching back in 2015. But fckn hell it gets ridiculously tiresome having every single thread on this entire board fixated on him.

Good to hear you enjoyed the win but the see you in gf week sarcastic comment makes me wonder what your deal is. I’m just enjoying the win this week, still got a challenge just to make finals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Many of us cannot enjoy home and away wins because we are so sceptical about the ability to produce in finals. We are here to win premierships. We are here to be the best. I want Port to win all the time but right now I think we could go 22-0 and I'd still be trepidatious in finals.

See you in grand final week isn't sarcastic, it's a deserved reminder that under Hinkley this club has become the biggest underachievers around, and as supporters and members we need to not forget that and to remind ourselves what we are in the comp to do. Win premierships.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Id trade Marshall.

Set shot kicking is nice but when you dont absolutely command the ball as a 195cm key forward and instead just lead to pockets youre pretty much adelaides Lewis Johnston. He needs almost perfect delivery everytime. Mitch Esava and Charlie can have 2-3 players on them and still make a contest or take a mark here or there. Todd gives up.

Ideally he would be the Westhoff/Blicavs winger/floating back. Todd loves going for one handers and does some smart taps at times and is a good kick. He just doesnt have the required intensity, query on fitness and speed for this role and has continually run under the ball all season. He also lets his opponent out jostle him. Theres no way he commands the oppo defenders the way Ratagoulea does
I said trade Marshall years ago and got more thumbs down than a firing squad.
The only excuse I can give him is all the head knocks have taken there toll on his confidence.
8 years in the system at his age he should be at his peak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back