Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

We played easily the best game of any team in the entire season, so you would think we would get a huge mention in the “9 things we learned” article on the AFL site… nope, of course not. Only team mentioned about our game was Sydney.
I think media go hard on the loser at the beginning of the week and move to the winners mid week. There’s a lot of minutes to fill 😒

Honestly the top of the table team that's been flag favourites for most of the season being 71-0 down and losing by 112, while losing 4 of their last 5 games, is way more of a story than anything Port-related. Its blown the premiership race wide open if it wasn't already.

End of the day you still can't trust us, even with this result. We're still the team that lost to Gold Coast 3 weeks ago, and got absolutely flogged by the Lions at home a couple weeks before that.

Living here in Adelaide I am able to get to all our games here, and I think it makes a huge amount of difference as far as getting enjoyment from these games. I am lucky that all the people that i sit near are long time supporters and very passionate and knowledgeable about the team and the games. They dish out criticism when it is deserved, we have sat through plenty of not so enjoyable games too, but appreciate the good times as well. I think it is a whole different experience when you have fellow supporters to celebrate with and commiserate with.
I definitely felt that in 2018, this weird sort of FOMO when Collingwood were up and about because they’re the most supported team around the northern suburbs of Melbourne and it was the first time they contended since I stopped supporting them, and I think if I knew more Port fans and saw more games my feelings would absolutely be different (whether better or worse would come down to performance). Unfortunately outside of BigFooty all I deal with generally is people on tiktok saying shit like this to me when I dish out what I think is fair criticism. You can imagine what that’s like hahaha.
IMG_5565.jpeg
IMG_5562.jpeg
IMG_5560.jpeg
IMG_5558.jpeg
Maybe one day I’d be inclined to move to Adelaide, I’m already moving away from Melbourne in the near future so what’s another move to me?

Really interesting that since the match, a lot of the Victorian/national media talk has focused on how poor Sydney were with any favourable review of our performance being an afterthought. Understandably, commentators seem reluctant to put faith in us. Contrast this to the salivating over Brisbane’s win against the Saints and the Dogs’ over Melbourne. I completely get it and like it. It suits Hinkley’s mindset. We crumple under praise and expectation and perform much better when we have a chip on our shoulder.

We've underachieved for years, I get it. Blowing the top of the ladder out by 100+ couldn't possibly be Port.

Also media: I feel sorry for Hinkley because he just doesn't have the list.

I definitely felt that in 2018, this weird sort of FOMO when Collingwood were up and about because they’re the most supported team around the northern suburbs of Melbourne and it was the first time they contended since I stopped supporting them, and I think if I knew more Port fans and saw more games my feelings would absolutely be different (whether better or worse would come down to performance). Unfortunately outside of BigFooty all I deal with generally is people on tiktok saying shit like this to me when I dish out what I think is fair criticism. You can imagine what that’s like hahaha.
View attachment 2069316
View attachment 2069317
View attachment 2069318
View attachment 2069319
Maybe one day I’d be inclined to move to Adelaide, I’m already moving away from Melbourne in the near future so what’s another move to me?
I think I've identified the problem here.

Fizzler, do not be concerned about the rubbish of the Happy Clappers.

It is in their philosophy that they are supposedly superior supporters and love to tell everyone that. It is almost virtual signalling that they are a better supporter. It's BS.

I started following the Magpies back in the 80s and 90s and if you knew someone was a Port supporter, they were instantly a brother and that is the way it should be.

One of the aspects of the mediocrity of the Ken and Koch Cockle Train is to not bottom out because that is when the Happy Clappers go walkabout very, very quickly.

It's also in the ballpark of the reason why I don't like the Never Tear Us Apart song. It is more to do with a supposed issue within the club or against the club when I would prefer an aggressive song to scare and intimidate the opposition like Thunderstruck or Galvanise. But each to their own.

View attachment 2069316
View attachment 2069317
View attachment 2069318
View attachment 2069319
There are definitely some unnecessary responses in that lot.

I'm assuming you are Victorian born so obviously kudos for the decision, but I am interested in why you gave collingwood the rissole and became a Port supporter.

As a comparison, I didn't know the bloke personally and I can't remember his name but there was an ex South Aussie Port supporter who I believe moved to Melbourne for work/study before we joined the AFL and got wrapped up in the collingwood bubble.
He was a prolific poster on another site and regularly attended their games for years, but I was told he switched back to Port in the early 2000's and then copped so much heat from his collingwood supporting `mates' that he eventually lost interest in the game.

As much as I want Hinkley gone that was a mesmerizing performance. Can’t ever remember seeing a performance like that from the start of a game to the end. The trick now is to build on the momentum and carry it through to the finals. That will be where the proof in the pudding is and whether we can perform in finals

Honestly the top of the table team that's been flag favourites for most of the season being 71-0 down and losing by 112, while losing 4 of their last 5 games ....
Sydney have lost 5 of their last 6 with their only win being against Norf.

You understand that the head coach has a significant impact on culture, gameplan and performance, right?

We all want to win. We all want to be able to get excited by this team and we all want to be able to enjoy genuine hope that we can win the flag each year. Every single person posting here has probably spent thousands of hours and thousands of dollars supporting this club. The negativity comes from a place of deep, longstanding disappointment with how the club conducts itself that seemingly never ends.

We've had that hope crushed time and time again by this team under this coach where we don't stand up when it matters in September. People aren't robots, you can't just flick a switch and make them believe again after what we've been through for a decade.

Coming on this board and having a crack at people who are fed up after 12 long years of disappointment is completely misplaced anger. Get angry with the club for fostering this losing culture. Fos had some pretty clear instructions on what to do when your club is infested with losers.
anger lol, i wasn't angry.

Juist thought it was funny that everyone that wanted to lose suddenly was waxing lyrical about the win on saturday night, so i simply asked the question if everyone wanted to still lose or not.

Seems i pinched a few nerves pointing out some obvious hypocrisy.

Last edited:
I think media go hard on the loser at the beginning of the week and move to the winners mid week. There’s a lot of minutes to fill 😒

Kane had time to have a sook - again - about the Port supporters who booed Hinkley after the Brisbane game.

That moment lives rent free inside his head. How dare football fans criticise an unacceptable performance (without resorting to disgraceful foul-mouthed abuse or hurling of bodily fluids like some other supporters)

Juist thought it was funny that everyone that wanted to lose suddenly was waxing lyrical about the win on saturday night, so i simply asked the question if everyone wanted to still lose or not.

Seems i pinched a few nerves pointed out some obvious hypocrisy.
A build up of 12 years of failure broke me. I know many were broken well before. That's not 'sudden'.

I wanted us to lose, I still want us to lose. If we aren't going to win a flag, then these little sugar hits mean ZERO. If losing is what it takes to sack the coach and unlock the potential of this group which we saw vividly on Saturday night, then I'm all in for it.

I've always hoped I'm wrong and always will about Hinkley, but we have at least another 24 quarters of footy to play for the year, and we need to sustain this footy for all of them. A 6 quarter burst of good footy doesn't turn around years of sustained failure.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Until the last few weeks, Lachie was running between contests, misjudging the flight of the ball, going up instead of staying down, over running the ball etc.
Im not sure what has actually just happened, but he now looks a completely different player. His composure and reading of the play has been A1

What happened is gaining experience. People need to be patient with players adapting to the speed of the game and building confidence. Not everyone is an Ollie Wines or Horne-Francis.

Sydney have lost 5 of their last 6 with their only win being against Norf.

In three of those losses the margin was 1-2 points, the worst loss was 39 points to the Bulldogs the week before, which I completely expected them to bounce back from.

We won by one. hundred. and. twelve. points.

I know it's fashionable on BF to talk down good things Port do, but that was a phenomenal result in anyone's language.

Many of us cannot enjoy home and away wins because we are so sceptical about the ability to produce in finals. We are here to win premierships. We are here to be the best. I want Port to win all the time but right now I think we could go 22-0 and I'd still be trepidatious in finals.

See you in grand final week isn't sarcastic, it's a deserved reminder that under Hinkley this club has become the biggest underachievers around, and as supporters and members we need to not forget that and to remind ourselves what we are in the comp to do. Win premierships.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
I have my reservations about making finals still, so I'm definitely skeptical too about winning finals because we still need to win another game just to make it first.

But I'm not dead inside so will enjoy wins like Saturday night along the way, be a pretty long season if literally no part of it is enjoyable until we've got an unassailable lead in a GF.

And right now, with 2 games we should win ahead we are up to our eyeballs in this season, things were never as bad as they were made out to be on here. The season is there for the taking if we really want it.

Seems i pinched a few nerves pointed out some obvious hypocrisy.
I want us to win the flag. That's all I care about. The only question is how do we get there.

Its clear to me beyond doubt right now that we have the list. Do I trust our coaches to deliver a flag or to do everything possible to get us there this year? Honestly I still don't. We've had good H&A, but we've turned gold in to ashes over and over again in the last decade. We constantly cap and limit our list rather than inspire.

Had we lost a couple more games last year, hell maybe if Florent's kick had traveled one more meter, would we be in this position? Or would we be here with Josh Carr and building some real trust and faith in this side to perform when it matters?

When you win and when you lose matters. We've had a good fortnight but need to keep delivering over the next month and a half or its just yet another missed opportunity to go with the last 11.

Kane had time to have a sook - again - about the Port supporters who booed Hinkley after the Brisbane game.

That moment lives rent free inside his head. How dare football fans criticise an unacceptable performance (without resorting to disgraceful foul-mouthed abuse or hurling of bodily fluids like some other supporters)
Yet he's still completely unwilling to look at the things he's publicly said about the list and players who have now proved him wrong yet again (almost as often as Bevo)

A build up of 12 years of failure broke me. I know many were broken well before. That's not 'sudden'.

I wanted us to lose, I still want us to lose. If we aren't going to win a flag, then these little sugar hits mean ZERO. If losing is what it takes to sack the coach and unlock the potential of this group which we saw vividly on Saturday night, then I'm all in for it.

I've always hoped I'm wrong and always will about Hinkley, but we have at least another 24 quarters of footy to play for the year, and we need to sustain this footy for all of them, to turn that belief around, a 6 quarter burst of good footy doesn't turn around years of sustained failure.
why can't we win the flag though? I know it sounds crazy but our best footy stacks up as good as anyone this year and literally every team now has had a down patch where they've been really poor and supporters have probably lost hope.

It seems different to other years where there have been no real standout teams and really obvious hurdles for us.

Out of the 9 other sides still in contention, we've beaten 7 of them this year, i don't think we'd done that in previous years. Brisbane and Giants the only sides we've lost to.

Not sure why it is a crime to still have hope.

the fact is no coach is getting sacked sitting 3rd on the ladder, it is ridiculous to think he would so I'm accepting of that and desperately hoping that we are all wrong about Ken. And if we fail again, we've got a guy put in a position in Tredrea to make the right call. It was always the sensible thing to make a call on Ken at the end of the season. I was always of the opinion even when we were playing poorly that i didn't think there was much to gain sacking him mid season, especially if Carr is who they want. That transition needs to happen over an off season.

As comprehensive as Saturday night's win against Sydney was it has still not convinced the Melbourne commenterati that they are a genuine top 4 side. Which is fair enough given the flops against Brisbane, Gold Cost and Giants post bye and the years of finals flops.

How we go in the next 3 weeks is a test of whether or not wins against Carlton and Sydney are just yet another false dawn for Port.

But what surprises me (not) is how high they rate the Bulldogs and even Geelong (although Geelong are always a chance if they make finals I guess):

David King seedings post round 21:

1. Brisbane
2. Geelong
3. Western Bulldogs
4. Sydney

Joey Montagna seedings post round 21:

1. Brisbane
2. Sydney
3. Western Bulldogs
4. Freo

Yet he's still completely unwilling to look at the things he's publicly said about the list and players who have now proved him wrong yet again (almost as often as Bevo)

He's Captain Clickbait.

The minute Bulldogs lose he'll be on Bevo like a stray dog on a bone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back