Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I definitely felt that in 2018, this weird sort of FOMO when Collingwood were up and about because they’re the most supported team around the northern suburbs of Melbourne and it was the first time they contended since I stopped supporting them, and I think if I knew more Port fans and saw more games my feelings would absolutely be different (whether better or worse would come down to performance). Unfortunately outside of BigFooty all I deal with generally is people on tiktok saying shit like this to me when I dish out what I think is fair criticism. You can imagine what that’s like hahaha.
View attachment 2069316
View attachment 2069317
View attachment 2069318
View attachment 2069319
Maybe one day I’d be inclined to move to Adelaide, I’m already moving away from Melbourne in the near future so what’s another move to me?
Your best bet is to just hang out here for footy chat. Far more fun and (mostly 😉) more intelligent discussion. FB, TikTok etc are rubbish.

I feel the media is really undermining what port did against sydney and chalking it up to mentality.

No one knows what to make of that result. But taking it back to basics, we tackled across the ground with a ferocity that is finals-worthy. As we did the week before against Carlton.

It's hard to tell because of how often we either hit targets or scored when we went forward, but the game plan looks tweaked and not as reliant on locking the ball in the F50 with a high press. We slowed Sydney's movement from defence with coverage behind the ball and tackled with intent across the ground rather than trying to fall back and defend the D50.

As Ford said, even in Swahili, that was an epic win that has been building. In a way, I am happy the AFL media has been quiet about it because if it is legit form, they will know soon enough.

There are two forces at work here, the possibility that everything is coming together at the pointy end of the season and the good gameplan is set with the right players in the right positions and the players are responding with an accountable, team focussed play, the other is the media and fans had a go at Kenny Average and the team after the Brisbane Lions loss and Kenny and the players are playing for Kenny and sooner or later the intensity will slowly meander into mediocrity.

It is the unfortunate fate of Kenny's run as a coach.

No one knows what to make of that result. But taking it back to basics, we tackled across the ground with a ferocity that is finals-worthy. As we did the week before against Carlton.

It's hard to tell because of how often we either hit targets or scored when we went forward, but the game plan looks tweaked and not as reliant on locking the ball in the F50 with a high press. We slowed Sydney's movement from defence with coverage behind the ball and tackled with intent across the ground rather than trying to fall back and defend the D50.
There are 2 noticeable differences for mine.

The biggest one is our work in the contest and general defence. As has been mentioned many times already, we look a completely different side when Wines and Drew are shouldering the load at the contest and shifting Butters, Rozee, JHF and Mead to do their work on the outside. Sweet is proving to be a really important acquisition, Boak and Burgoyne are providing great workrate back in defence. Bergman is becoming an elite contest defender and AA is returning to AA form, allowing BZT to do his thing.

The 2nd is Rat forward. That move isn't what it does for Rat, it's what it's doing for Georgiades and Dixon. Rioli is getting easier reads on the ground ball as there isn't a stack of numbers around an aerial contest like we are used to seeing with Dixon, and the form of Wines and Drew means we are seeing more of JHF/Rozee deep forward, which is a terrifying proposition for opposition small/medium defenders.

why can't we win the flag though? I know it sounds crazy but our best footy stacks up as good as anyone this year and literally every team now has had a down patch where they've been really poor and supporters have probably lost hope.

It seems different to other years where there have been no real standout teams and really obvious hurdles for us.

Out of the 9 other sides still in contention, we've beaten 7 of them this year, i don't think we'd done that in previous years. Brisbane and Giants the only sides we've lost to.

Not sure why it is a crime to still have hope.

the fact is no coach is getting sacked sitting 3rd on the ladder, it is ridiculous to think he would so I'm accepting of that and desperately hoping that we are all wrong about Ken. And if we fail again, we've got a guy put in a position in Tredrea to make the right call. It was always the sensible thing to make a call on Ken at the end of the season. I was always of the opinion even when we were playing poorly that i didn't think there was much to gain sacking him mid season, especially if Carr is who they want. That transition needs to happen over an off season.
We can win the flag.

We have been able to for many years.

We have also been capable of what we saw on Saturday night for many years.

But we haven't seen that, and the consistency of our results and the way we have lost, time and time again, have shown why we haven't won previously, why we have shitty records against top teams, etc. That all doesn't drop away after 1 win, and that is why we can't/won't win. Because I have zero faith that this team can reverse years of trends and suddenly deliver. That mental weakness, the flakey gameplan, it'll all get exposed in September and I hope I'm wrong and we can deliver, but I don't believe we can.

Ultimately your view is you're going to remain positive and hopeful for the team continuing to invest your emotions in their fate, and I've said it before but good on you. I can't keep sitting here though expecting change from us doing the same thing over and over. Your positivity could also be likened to insanity in that way. I've invested too much emotional energy in this team and they've burnt me too much. Right now I'm the scorned ex-girlfriend who's going to need to see a crazy amount of action, and zero talk, to start trusting and investing that emotional energy again. 6 quarters isn't anywhere near enough.

Last edited:
I have little finals faith but I’ll still believe.
Last year we were cooked come finals.
2021 was deer in the headlights stuff, embarrassing.
2020 we were a dodgy intentional call from making the GF.

We’re looking physically sound, it’s clear
we have our positional dynamics at it’s optimum, I suspect JHF TOG and midfield minutes will continue to increase.

Are we going to win it? Who knows, no house going to be put on it, but in an open season why not.

I don’t care if Hinkley does it, hope he does and retires, best way to go out.

Tried to re-watch that last half of the Fox replay last night. But jeez that commentary makes it hard work.

How good is it to have Ricciuto and Brereton having a monotone dinner table discussion over Sydney's training schedule going forward while the game is still in progress. The whole last 5 minutes of that third quarter and a fair chunk of the last was the commentators giving lengthy thesis over 'where do Sydney go from here' while the game is playing in the background. It's utter BS. :drunk:

Sorry for a broken record but if the club cares about its fans how about, CEO Richardson pick up the phone and demand better quality commentary for our games - and that includes demanding the Crows' Football Director keeps the feck away from commenting on our matches.

I just can't imagine any other club putting up with their games being commentated on national TV broadcasts by the Director of Football from another club. Our admin is weak as piss on matters of principle when it comes to the interests of its members and supporters.

Last edited:
Tried to re-watch that last half of the Fox replay last night. But jeez that commentary makes it hard work.

How good is it to have Ricciuto and Brereton having a monotone dinner table discussion over Sydney's training schedule going forward while the game is still in progress. :drunk:

Sorry for a broken record but if the club cares about its fans how about Richardson pick up the phone and demand better quality commentary for our games - and that includes demanding the Crows' Football Director keeps the feck away.

I just can't imagine any other club putting up with their games being commentated on national TV broadcasts by the Director of Football from another club. Our admin is weak as piss on matters of principle.
You just know that Richo's solution would be Press Teal for Pipe.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do we dare to dream again or will it all end in tears as per the usual finals capitulation.

Do we dare to dream again or will it all end in tears as per the usual finals capitulation.
Depends on whether Hinkley holds his nerve with the team structure and play and not revert to the old:
Congest the forward line so that no one can score or you have to score from the pockets or outside 50
Have a small forward do nothing more than be defensive
Not trust the ability of your players against the opposition
Bring in players who are now too slow for the game
Play a zone that is keepings off and allow transition from our forward to their forward with ease from a point (we used to get killed on the rebound - we score point, they score goal) or intercept
Chipping the ball around in the backline until we make a mistake and give them a goal

I could go on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dermott Brereton is the problem.

Honestly I don't understand why he is still on TV. People want to take cracks at Kellie Underwood and others, but Dermie is just by far the worst commentator/special comments man that has ever been involved in TV coverage.

The Condescending, Slow, Monotone, Obvious, Dumb, often wrong dribble that comes out of him is phenomenal. I really dont understand how he keeps getting a job.

Honestly I don't understand why he is still on TV. People want to take cracks at Kellie Underwood and others, but Dermie is just by far the worst commentator/special comments man that has ever been involved in TV coverage.

The Condescending, Slow, Monotone, Obvious, Dumb, often wrong dribble that comes out of him is phenomenal. I really dont understand how he keeps getting a job.
The difference between Dermie and a lot of others though is that his best is actually very good. I think he has the biggest gap between his best and worst of any commentator. And we haven't heard his best in years.

Depends on whether Hinkley holds his nerve with the team structure and play and not revert to the old:
Congest the forward line so that no one can score or you have to score from the pockets or outside 50
Have a small forward do nothing more than be defensive
Not trust the ability of your players against the opposition
Bring in players who are now too slow for the game
Play a zone that is keepings off and allow transition from our forward to their forward with ease from a point (we used to get killed on the rebound - we score point, they score goal) or intercept
Chipping the ball around in the backline until we make a mistake and give them a goal

I could go on
Surely he is not that stupid, he has seen a version that currently works.

He got back to Getaway, telling people how beautiful France is then giving the most expensive deal out there like he used to. $6000 to see the Eiffel Tower. Give me a spell.

The difference between Dermie and a lot of others though is that his best is actually very good. I think he has the biggest gap between his best and worst of any commentator. And we haven't heard his best in years.
Maybe, I've just never heard anything good come from him. Just find it baffling that he has a job. Kellie Underwood gets a shit load of heat, but he is way worse. It's like nails on a chalkboard. I try and just ignore him as much as possible, because otherwise I spend the entire game getting frustrated at his stupid obvious points, or just flat out incorrect ones. He's just an absolute dope.

Just seen that it's the biggest win against a top of the ladder side in the AFL era.

Before that it was Geelong beating Collingwood by 96 in 2011.
The biggest ever was in 1983 (Fitzroy beat North by 150) which was a notoriously high scoring era. 1982 had the highest average score per game at 112 and then 1983 is tied for second with 1979 at 106. Not sure the average score in 2024 or 23 but in 2022 the average was only about 83, and I can’t imagine it’s climbed too much since then. To have the second biggest win over a ladder leader now when teams are averaging about 20 points less each is pretty remarkable.

We can win the flag.

We have been able to for many years.

We have also been capable of what we saw on Saturday night for many years.

But we haven't seen that, and the consistency of our results and the way we have lost, time and time again, have shown why we haven't won previously, why we have shitty records against top teams, etc. That all doesn't drop away after 1 win, and that is why we can't/won't win. Because I have zero faith that this team can reverse years of trends and suddenly deliver. That mental weakness, the flakey gameplan, it'll all get exposed in September and I hope I'm wrong and we can deliver, but I don't believe we can.

Ultimately your view is you're going to remain positive and hopeful for the team continuing to invest your emotions in their fate, and I've said it before but good on you. I can't keep sitting here though expecting change from us doing the same thing over and over. Your positivity could also be likened to insanity in that way. I've invested too much emotional energy in this team and they've burnt me too much. Right now I'm the scorned ex-girlfriend who's going to need to see a crazy amount of action, and zero talk, to start trusting and investing that emotional energy again. 6 quarters isn't anywhere near enough.
Ultimately your view is you're going to be negative and detached so you can't ever be disappointed or drained emotionally from this club, but then on the flipside there is no enjoyment either, and to me that sort of defeats the whole purpose of following a sporting team. If there is no emotional investment, i may as well be watching Hungary V Serbia in the Water Polo.

It's been very draining emotionally at times supporting Port, i get that, but i just can't jump off the ride. I feel like when/if we ever get to that ultimate goal again it will extremely satisfying having ridden all the bumps along the way.

That was an exciting game to watch. Even for a crows supporter. When my wife goes to Port games shes pretty quiet. I take her to 3 or 4 a year and I will tag along as a neutral. But in the lounge room on Saturday night gee she was loud and excited.

You guys have looked bloody good since Marshall has been out. Georgiades, Dixon and Rat with the smalls Rioli Evans and midfielder resting makes you so much stronger. And your defence with Alir and BZT as your main talls works better with Rat up forward. Its going to come down to Marshall or Rat and Rat is better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back