Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I've identified the problem here.
Your best bet is to just hang out here for footy chat. Far more fun and (mostly 😉) more intelligent discussion. FB, TikTok etc are rubbish.
Oh no doubt that the big issue here is that it’s exactly what you’ll run into on tiktok. Unfortunately for my career ambitions which relate to sports journalism (specifically footy) I can only really bide my time doing unpaid work for local leagues and VFL clubs for so long. Not having a connection at the top, not being a past player, and not going to a private school all stack up as obstacles when trying to get into that field so I’ve gotta try and get my content out there on a platform that gives me the best chance at fluking it and getting eyes on my stuff, even if it’s just me speaking into my phone. The idea is that hopefully the analysis cuts through if the right eyes see one of my videos. I’ve been very much aware that tiktok is going to attract people like that and the comments don’t upset me per se, they just remind me that these people don’t deserve to see success so how can I be happy to see anything that resembles success?
Fizzler, do not be concerned about the rubbish of the Happy Clappers.

It is in their philosophy that they are supposedly superior supporters and love to tell everyone that. It is almost virtual signalling that they are a better supporter. It's BS.

I started following the Magpies back in the 80s and 90s and if you knew someone was a Port supporter, they were instantly a brother and that is the way it should be.

One of the aspects of the mediocrity of the Ken and Koch Cockle Train is to not bottom out because that is when the Happy Clappers go walkabout very, very quickly.

It's also in the ballpark of the reason why I don't like the Never Tear Us Apart song. It is more to do with a supposed issue within the club or against the club when I would prefer an aggressive song to scare and intimidate the opposition like Thunderstruck or Galvanise. But each to their own.
You’re 100% correct. I never want to default to the point of “I’m a better supporter than you” but when these people pull it out at me it irritates me because I’m the one who actually cares. As such it makes it easy for me to take the piss out of them. It’s just how bizarre the whole situation is that gets to me, and these happy clappers aren’t even where 5% of my anger is directed at. Nonetheless it’s the fracturing of the club that is almost single-handedly the fault of David Koch (a lot of the issues are symptoms of him, I’m not sure he’s a symptom of anything, he’s the root cause) that truly angers me.
I think NTUA is a perfect pregame song because even if we get torched in a game I can look at some oppo dickhead saying “wE tOrE tHeM aPaRt” and know that they’ve missed the point entirely and that it’s something that’s for us, not other fans. But the fact that we sing that song because we don’t wanna be torn apart from the inside again, only for the current administration to cause that to happen again is super ironic. Our fanbase should be a brotherhood again but instead people like to compete about who’s the better fan and that’s the sad bit.
There are definitely some unnecessary responses in that lot.

I'm assuming you are Victorian born so obviously kudos for the decision, but I am interested in why you gave collingwood the rissole and became a Port supporter.

As a comparison, I didn't know the bloke personally and I can't remember his name but there was an ex South Aussie Port supporter who I believe moved to Melbourne for work/study before we joined the AFL and got wrapped up in the collingwood bubble.
He was a prolific poster on another site and regularly attended their games for years, but I was told he switched back to Port in the early 2000's and then copped so much heat from his collingwood supporting `mates' that he eventually lost interest in the game.
Correct, I have no SA connection outside of Port. To answer that question I have to do so in two parts, the first being why I gave Collingwood the flick. At the time I did so I was 12 and losing love for them due to McGuire’s arrogance and the way Buckley destroyed a list (in fact that eventuated even more so in the years after). Before anyone says something, I’m aware and the irony is not lost on me. You gotta understand though, Buckley’s 3 seasons felt like a long time to 12 year old me, about as long as Ken’s tenure felt to me around 2019.
So why go to Port? Well it probably answers the question if I tell you I became a Port fan ahead of 2015, but that doesn’t tell the full story. Port looked like a club I wanted to belong to, a storied history (been a nerd for that stuff from way back), a passionate fanbase, a new and gorgeous stadium, NTUA before the games, but the big one was the 2014 EF. I had a video of the highlights downloaded to my phone and when I was bored waiting for my mum to pick me up after school I’d watch those highlights and think “man, this is what I want to be a part of”.
I also had a soft spot for Port when I was a little kid because of the teal and the jumper, in fact when I was 4 I think I asked Dad who’s a Collingwood fan if I could be a Port fan and he said no. Jesus, the timing and some of those reasons for switching to Port would make you think I’d be the epitome of a happy clapper who loves Ken and Kochie, I’m glad that couldn’t be further from the truth.
There’s also the Magpies connection in some ways, Dad jokes that he didn’t disown me because I’m still a part of the magpie nest on a technicality. I definitely didn’t see the bars and go “wow, **** Collingwood, this is my team now” like Eddie might fear, I would’ve always ditched Collingwood, it’s just the thing that made me pick Port over Geelong shudders or something like that.
This is my 10th season following Port, I think my 10th most recent season as a Collingwood fan was when I was 2 and obviously didn’t have a say in the matter. Being 21 now and far more settled into my team, and having put what I’d estimate as several thousands of dollars into supporting Port over the years I couldn’t ever switch again, even if the current circumstances are an amplified version of the ones that made me ditch Collingwood in the first place. But **** they make it hard to feel the passion I did previously.

Case in point - our first goal showed the benefit of the Rat & Charlie combo. Charlie parked himself at the front of the pack and Rat was right behind him, whispering in his ear, “I’ve got your back Charlie”. Worked a treat as the Sydney backmen were completely blocked out.
The Rat’s one goal 4 behinds is only an average return but apart from his first shot, which he should have got, all the others were on an angle & about 40 metres out - always 50/50. As previously posted he does have a good kicking action and if he’s 30 metres out and dead in front, mark a goal down in your Record.

Tried to re-watch that last half of the Fox replay last night. But jeez that commentary makes it hard work.

How good is it to have Ricciuto and Brereton having a monotone dinner table discussion over Sydney's training schedule going forward while the game is still in progress. The whole last 5 minutes of that third quarter and a fair chunk of the last was the commentators giving lengthy thesis over 'where do Sydney go from here' while the game is playing in the background. It's utter BS. :drunk:

Sorry for a broken record but if the club cares about its fans how about, CEO Richardson pick up the phone and demand better quality commentary for our games - and that includes demanding the Crows' Football Director keeps the feck away from commenting on our matches.

I just can't imagine any other club putting up with their games being commentated on national TV broadcasts by the Director of Football from another club. Our admin is weak as piss on matters of principle when it comes to the interests of its members and supporters.
The commentary of most games, not just ours, is abysmal. The only one who actually commentates these days is Hudson, and he's good. I watched the replay of one of our last few games that he commentated and it was part way through the game before I stopped to think that not once had I said "Shut up Derm" or got sick of listening to BT rabbit on about anything but the game, I was just enjoying the game and listening to someone commentate and add bits of interesting detail about the play.

It's another real plus about actually being to go to games is that you don't have to listen to the rubbish commentators while you watch.

The commentary of most games, not just ours, is abysmal. The only one who actually commentates these days is Hudson, and he's good. I watched the replay of one of our last few games that he commentated and it was part way through the game before I stopped to think that not once had I said "Shut up Derm" or got sick of listening to BT rabbit on about anything but the game, I was just enjoying the game and listening to someone commentate and add bits of interesting detail about the play.

It's another real plus about actually being to go to games is that you don't have to listen to the rubbish commentators while you watch.

Yep. Now if someone came up with a way of subscribers being able to select different commentary options that you could select to run alongside the kayo game replay it would be win win.

Would also provide instant feedback to the broadcasters and the AFL of which commentators the people who watch the games actually want to hear.

(yeah I know, I'm dreamin'. The AFL TV broadcast commentary is like the Nazi Soup Kitchen episode from Seinfeld - you take what they give you otherwise no soup for you!)

Yep. Now if someone came up with a way of subscribers being able to select different commentary options that you could select to run alongside the kayo game replay it would be win win.

Would also provide instant feedback to the broadcasters and the AFL of which commentators the people who watch the games actually want to hear.
I don't have kayo, but I'd think about it if you could do that.

Next 3 weeks will show me if we have truly improved. 3 teams who will apply maximum pressure across the field.

We go 2-1 or 3-0 zip maybe just maybe I will be a sort of believer.

Lose 1-2 or 0-3 and we are no different and I’m sacking the prick the day after the freo game.

Tried to re-watch that last half of the Fox replay last night. But jeez that commentary makes it hard work.

How good is it to have Ricciuto and Brereton having a monotone dinner table discussion over Sydney's training schedule going forward while the game is still in progress. The whole last 5 minutes of that third quarter and a fair chunk of the last was the commentators giving lengthy thesis over 'where do Sydney go from here' while the game is playing in the background. It's utter BS. :drunk:

Sorry for a broken record but if the club cares about its fans how about, CEO Richardson pick up the phone and demand better quality commentary for our games - and that includes demanding the Crows' Football Director keeps the feck away from commenting on our matches.

I just can't imagine any other club putting up with their games being commentated on national TV broadcasts by the Director of Football from another club. Our admin is weak as piss on matters of principle when it comes to the interests of its members and supporters.
I watched the Kayo mini on Sunday morning. There were long stretches of commentary silence where they had edited out Dermie rambling on and just had crowd noise, and then just as a goal was about to be kicked back came Hudson to tell us what was happening.

Have to say the combination of Dermott, Riccuito and the stupid WOOOO-WOOOO guy near the crowd mic made it near unbearable to watch.

the stupid WOOOO-WOOOO guy near the crowd mic made it near unbearable to watch.
Yeah, wtf was that about? Hopefully they deal with that dumb ass next home game.

The MCG hire a falconer who sits with his bird on the top of the main stand to deal with the pigeon problem at large crowd games at the MCG. Perhaps the Adelaide Oval mob need something similar to deal with asshats?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True Port people don't mate. You have no control over the result so why even barrack AGAINST the team you say you support?
I'd say it's more a case of barracking against the type of football we were playing. The last 6 quarters of football have been nothing like that - how can you not be impressed by it? But the reservations remain: can we play like that when it matters most?

As others have said, a true 'all played well' scenario. But happy with those choices in a team where everyone played their role. Reckon in a game like that the winning coach focusses on giving the accolades to the players who need gee'ing up or rewarded for sticking to the game plan over several weeks (well I would if I was coach). For all his criticisms I reckon Uncle Ken would be just the guy to make everyone feel a part of that win and use it to best advantage.

Just goes to show what a great start to a game does to a team performance. Everyone was playing their heart out not wanting to be seen as a passenger. Reckon we can't underestimate what that does to the team's character, trust and self belief in the lead up to finals.

Proof in the pudding comes with the next 3 weeks of course.

I just want to lose the coach.
That should have been done years ago.
I just distance myself from the board and coaching staff but still support the team.
I can’t allow one person to change my feelings towards a team I’ve supported for over 50 years.
For me that would be a sign of weakness, they would have got the better of me.
It might not be everyone’s way but it’s my way and it’s not changing ever.

The whole night took me back to 01-04 days at footy park, where every second week we'd have the game won by qr time, and you could just sit back and enjoy the next 3 quarters, completely stress free...

And when games were tight at three quarter time, Choko, knowing where the true heart and soul in this club lies and being a part of it since birth, would drag the huddle away from the SANFL members stand over to the outer to allow the passion of our mob wash over them - to give them them and us a shared belief that a win was ours.

'those days are gone forever, I should just let 'em go , but...'

I watched the Kayo mini on Sunday morning. There were long stretches of commentary silence where they had edited out Dermie rambling on and just had crowd noise, and then just as a goal was about to be kicked back came Hudson to tell us what was happening.

Have to say the combination of Dermott, Riccuito and the stupid WOOOO-WOOOO guy near the crowd mic made it near unbearable to watch.

That woo-woo person gave me the shits watching the game on replay. Constantly kept pressing pause thinking my next door neighbour's kids were screaming their arses off.

That should have been done years ago.
I just distance myself from the board and coaching staff but still support the team.
I can’t allow one person to change my feelings towards a team I’ve supported for over 50 years.
For me that would be a sign of weakness, they would have got the better of me.
It might not be everyone’s way but it’s my way and it’s not changing ever.
Sitting there Saturday night watching that game - the very last thing I was thinking about was Ken, it's all about the players for me.

Jordan Sweet deserves more love, will go down as the most shrewd trade of 2023.
Which conversely makes splitting a first rounder for Ivan Soldo the least shrewd trade of 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back