Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

The lack of respect given by the Melbourne based AFL media to the 7th placed Port record thrashing of top placed Sydney continue.

Fill in AFL 360 host Kath Loughnan and Mark Robinson putting their focus on the ‘heroics’ of the Western Bulldogs and Brisbane wins while the emphasis on The Port/Sydney game was on Sydney’s loss rather than Ports win.

‘There has to be something wrong at Sydney to lose by that much’ says Robbo.

Zero respect for what Port did to win by that much against the top team. Zero.

Feck em. I hope it’s used to fire up the boys every game from here on out.

Last edited:

CEO Richardson pick up the phone and demand better quality commentary for our games - and that includes demanding the Crows' Football Director keeps the feck away from commenting on our matches.

1722850115923.png

In three of those losses the margin was 1-2 points, the worst loss was 39 points to the Bulldogs the week before, which I completely expected them to bounce back from.

We won by one. hundred. and. twelve. points.

I know it's fashionable on BF to talk down good things Port do, but that was a phenomenal result in anyone's language.
It wasn't my intention to talk down our incredible win on Saturday night. I was simply commenting on a poster using outdated information.

Looking forward to us doing a similar job Saturday night on Melbourne who have lost their last 3 games.

The lack of respect given by the Melbourne based AFL media to the 7th placed Port record thrashing of top placed Sydney continue.

Fill in AFL 360 host Kath Loughnan and Mark Robinson putting their focus on the ‘heroics’ of the Western Bulldogs and Brisbane wins while the emphasis on The Port/Sydney game was on Sydney’s loss rather than Ports win.

On the Couch was more balanced. Boak is on tomorrow so I expect more Port content then.

It is a symptom of how unreliable this team is when the whips are cracking. No one remotely believes in them to get the job done when it matters in September. It's why there's the lack of respect.

The footy department (including Ken) should be highlighting the lack of respect shown by the media and use it as bulletin board material to fuel them entering the finals series.

You want the respect? Go out and fücking win next month.

Kath Loughnan. Lol.

Which conversely makes splitting a first rounder for Ivan Soldo the least shrewd trade of 2023.

Soldo was a known quantity at AFL level, while Sweet wasn’t.

I don’t know how you felt, but after watching Lycett spud it up for years on end, Soldo looked like the second coming of Dean Cox when he first arrived. Lycett was an enormous liability for us, the poorest 1st Ruck in the comp by a very long margin.

BZT and Sweet were sideshows to Esava and Soldo - backup depth really. We just got lucky. And I am very happy about it.
Bar Soldo, all the other trades are looking like wins to me. I wouldn’t be surprised if we put Soldo on the trade table, he might even end up at the Crows who are desperate for another ready made ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn't my intention to talk down our incredible win on Saturday night. I was simply commenting on a poster using outdated information.

Looking forward to us doing a similar job Saturday night on Melbourne who have lost their last 3 games.

I was just so astonished by the result.

If we can bring that pressure and cohesion again this week and get another win I will be happy.

One week at a time.

I definitely felt that in 2018, this weird sort of FOMO when Collingwood were up and about because they’re the most supported team around the northern suburbs of Melbourne and it was the first time they contended since I stopped supporting them, and I think if I knew more Port fans and saw more games my feelings would absolutely be different (whether better or worse would come down to performance). Unfortunately outside of BigFooty all I deal with generally is people on tiktok saying shit like this to me when I dish out what I think is fair criticism. You can imagine what that’s like hahaha.
View attachment 2069316
View attachment 2069317
View attachment 2069318
View attachment 2069319
Maybe one day I’d be inclined to move to Adelaide, I’m already moving away from Melbourne in the near future so what’s another move to me?

This sort of stuff is pretty standard if you’re not prepared to suck on Ken’s oily hog for being the only coach capable of winning 13 games out of 24 in 2013, or say, credit David Koch with building Adelaide Oval with his bare hands.

There never seems to be any consequences when negative perceptions of individuals’ capabilities are proven correct though, which is strange.

I don’t think there’s a lot of optimism out there for what Port Adelaide is and should be capable of as an organisation, which is why clinging to the relative stability of mediocrity is an ingrained safety net for so many.

I still remember the old Dogs fan ringing 3AW up in finals last year, waxing lyrically about Jordon Sweet running down the wing bouncing the ball like peak Patty Dangerfield and how he was worth a first round pick.

How Matty Lloyd and Leigh Matthews laughed. You'll be happy to get a third round pick for him they proclaimed. And they were right.

I bet the Dogs supporter was watching when Sweet dropped the ball on Frankie Evans' chest and yelling at the TV "I told you! I told you!"

It is a symptom of how unreliable this team is when the whips are cracking. No one remotely believes in them to get the job done when it matters in September. It's why there's the lack of respect.

The footy department (including Ken) should be highlighting the lack of respect shown by the media and use it as bulletin board material to fuel them entering the finals series.

You want the respect? Go out and fücking win next month.
That would involve Ken owning some criticism. Something he is immune to.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Farrell’s year has been underrated. He’s deceptively tough

I've sat next to him on a plane a few times over the years. Looks small on TV but he's a solid lad - low centre of gravity as well which is advantageous as a small defender.

Arguably the best kick in the competition and an absolute weapon off half back. His defensive numbers would be interesting but I can't recall him getting pantsed by his opponent in any matchup this year specifically.

This sort of stuff is pretty standard if you’re not prepared to suck on Ken’s oily hog for being the only coach capable of winning 13 games out of 24 in 2013, or say, credit David Koch with building Adelaide Oval with his bare hands.

There never seems to be any consequences when negative perceptions of individuals’ capabilities are proven correct though, which is strange.

I don’t think there’s a lot of optimism out there for what Port Adelaide is and should be capable of as an organisation, which is why clinging to the relative stability of mediocrity is an ingrained safety net for so many.
Couldn’t put it better myself. The strange thing is that there’s no real reason why Port couldn’t be a strong organisation. Sure, low number of supporters (not members) is a factor as is the small population of Adelaide, but that one gets countered by the city only having 2 teams and not 9. I mean we’re not St Kilda, we’re the winningest top level club in the country even with only one senior flag since 1997. There’s the China endeavour which if anyone wanted to call it a “failure” (which I wouldn’t) that was only because of a once in a lifetime pandemic and partly a then-PM who’d take any opportunity to fire at them. With those two factors out of the equation we’d be rolling in it, so we can obviously see it’s possible for Port to be a powerhouse. But nah, a decent stretch in the middle of the home and away season is the pinnacle and these people will be overjoyed at that. That’s why I’m not taking the sugar hit of Saturday’s win, cause if it amounts to nothing then the optimism would’ve been for nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back