Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I've sat next to him on a plane a few times over the years. Looks small on TV but he's a solid lad - low centre of gravity as well which is advantageous as a small defender.

Arguably the best kick in the competition and an absolute weapon off half back. His defensive numbers would be interesting but I can't recall him getting pantsed by his opponent in any matchup this year specifically.
That mark he took backing into a contest on Saturday night was bloody courageous. Really like the lad.

You understand that the head coach has a significant impact on culture, gameplan and performance, right?

We all want to win. We all want to be able to get excited by this team and we all want to be able to enjoy genuine hope that we can win the flag each year. Every single person posting here has probably spent thousands of hours and thousands of dollars supporting this club. The negativity comes from a place of deep, longstanding disappointment with how the club conducts itself that seemingly never ends.

We've had that hope crushed time and time again by this team under this coach where we don't stand up when it matters in September. People aren't robots, you can't just flick a switch and make them believe again after what we've been through for a decade.

Coming on this board and having a crack at people who are fed up after 12 long years of disappointment is completely misplaced anger. Get angry with the club for fostering this losing culture. Fos had some pretty clear instructions on what to do when your club is infested with losers.
Bullseye. Nobody on this board wants to lose, but surely people can understand the frustration. Some peanut rang 5AA while Tredders was on tonight, and called Port fans who booed Hinkley during the Brisbane game traitors. What a load of crap!!!!! Another caller soon set that idiot straight by saying, "When we witness what was served up against the Lions, what are we supposed to do - cheer the players and coach off the ground?"

I look at it from another angle - maybe that horrible experience against the Lions was exactly what the club needed: it made everyone have a good hard look at themselves, and we've come out stronger at the other end. Of course the proof will be in the pudding over the next 7-8 weeks.

I still remember the old Dogs fan ringing 3AW up in finals last year, waxing lyrically about Jordon Sweet running down the wing bouncing the ball like peak Patty Dangerfield and how he was worth a first round pick.

How Matty Lloyd and Leigh Matthews laughed. You'll be happy to get a third round pick for him they proclaimed. And they were right.

I bet the Dogs supporter was watching when Sweet dropped the ball on Frankie Evans' chest and yelling at the TV "I told you! I told you!"

I wondered whether he shanked the kick, or an unbelievable laser like worm burner.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I wondered whether he shanked the kick, or an unbelievable laser like worm burner.

I still reckon he meant to hit Rioli and shanked it slightly. One of those nights when even the wrong things go right.

Ultimately your view is you're going to be negative and detached so you can't ever be disappointed or drained emotionally from this club, but then on the flipside there is no enjoyment either, and to me that sort of defeats the whole purpose of following a sporting team. If there is no emotional investment, i may as well be watching Hungary V Serbia in the Water Polo.

It's been very draining emotionally at times supporting Port, i get that, but i just can't jump off the ride. I feel like when/if we ever get to that ultimate goal again it will extremely satisfying having ridden all the bumps along the way.
And fair enough. You're describing being a happy clapper Vs a disenchanted disconnected supporter.

And I absolutely wear the negativity that this clubs regime has brought upon me. I just can't continue to support a failing regime and their choices. Sitting there and happy clapping isn't the Port Adelaide way and I can't do it like you can. Our club is being run the worst it has in its whole history and the lack of change has eroded hope and faith over a long time, the length of which has never been seen before. No other clubs supporters have ever had to go through this, and so the concept of just cheering on a record level of fruitless stability has never been tested, but I'm not surprised I'm like many, if not the majority, and heavily disconnected.

I mean if Hinkley was sacked a week back, I would've rocked up to that game excited for the game, hoping for a win, and would've walked away absolutely stoked. Instead I now just fear it is probably yet another false dawn, and it just gave the happy clappers and media lemmings an opportunity to back in the dead horse that is Hinkley yet again. Again I hope I'm wrong and that we win the next 6 and take the flag, but I am certain our limitations will prevent it.

No one knows what to make of that result. But taking it back to basics, we tackled across the ground with a ferocity that is finals-worthy. As we did the week before against Carlton.

It's hard to tell because of how often we either hit targets or scored when we went forward, but the game plan looks tweaked and not as reliant on locking the ball in the F50 with a high press. We slowed Sydney's movement from defence with coverage behind the ball and tackled with intent across the ground rather than trying to fall back and defend the D50.
It was mentioned on Fox Footy's On The Couch tonight that Port's last 6 quarters of football have yielded 29:24 (198) to 6:11 (47). The question everyone is asking is, is such startling form sustainable?

anger lol, i wasn't angry.

Juist thought it was funny that everyone that wanted to lose suddenly was waxing lyrical about the win on saturday night, so i simply asked the question if everyone wanted to still lose or not.

Seems i pinched a few nerves pointing out some obvious hypocrisy.

It's not hypocritical. Your wilful ignorance regarding the context is ridiculous but congratulations on pinching a few nerves I guess. 👍

The people who you're saying "want to lose" don't actually want to lose. They want to win flags, see Hinkley as a massive barrier to winning flags, and as such want Hinkley gone. Wins like this have us staring down the barrel of him still coaching us in 2025. Not wanting Hinkley as our coach in 2025 isn't the same as wanting us to lose.

Regardless of why they hold it, holding that opinion doesn't mean they aren't allowed to get excited about our team performing well. I've been bullish about the list the whole time in the face of many on here and the Footy Dept manager himself saying the list isn't good enough. The list has been good enough for a decade.

See if you can find a single person who was anti-Hinkley before Saturday night that is now pro-Hinkley.

Ultimately your view is you're going to be negative and detached so you can't ever be disappointed or drained emotionally from this club, but then on the flipside there is no enjoyment either, and to me that sort of defeats the whole purpose of following a sporting team. If there is no emotional investment, i may as well be watching Hungary V Serbia in the Water Polo.

It's been very draining emotionally at times supporting Port, i get that, but i just can't jump off the ride. I feel like when/if we ever get to that ultimate goal again it will extremely satisfying having ridden all the bumps along the way.

I'd argue that if you are still able to emotionally enjoy watching Port Adelaide play in 2024 as much as you were in say, 2014, your emotional connection isn't that deep. No offense. A deep emotional connection to Port Adelaide's performances should have you at least a little bit broken at this point.

You're arguing with a bunch of absolute die hards here. 2011/12 attendees. People who have lived and died by the results of this team and who have pumped countless hours and dollars into supporting the club. Before at some point in the last decade their brain stopped letting them get their hopes up when we play a good game.

You're right, there isn't much enjoyment. Because it's all too easy to predict that winning 13 regular season games in a row doesn't mean you'll even get close in a final under this coach.

And fair enough. You're describing being a happy clapper Vs a disenchanted disconnected supporter.

And I absolutely wear the negativity that this clubs regime has brought upon me. I just can't continue to support a failing regime and their choices. Sitting there and happy clapping isn't the Port Adelaide way and I can't do it like you can. Our club is being run the worst it has in its whole history and the lack of change has eroded hope and faith over a long time, the length of which has never been seen before. No other clubs supporters have ever had to go through this, and so the concept of just cheering on a record level of fruitless stability has never been tested, but I'm not surprised I'm like many, if not the majority, and heavily disconnected.

I mean if Hinkley was sacked a week back, I would've rocked up to that game excited for the game, hoping for a win, and would've walked away absolutely stoked. Instead I now just fear it is probably yet another false dawn, and it just gave the happy clappers and media lemmings an opportunity to back in the dead horse that is Hinkley yet again. Again I hope I'm wrong and that we win the next 6 and take the flag, but I am certain our limitations will prevent it.

There is so much wrong in your whole post I don’t know where to start. But this whole crap that anyone that still enjoys wins and has hope is a happy clapper is fckn pathetic.

There is so much wrong in your whole post I don’t know where to start. But this whole crap that anyone that still enjoys wins and has hope is a happy clapper is fckn pathetic.

How so? I think their post makes sense. Which parts of the post are wrong?

I'd argue that if you are still able to emotionally enjoy watching Port Adelaide play in 2024 as much as you were in say, 2014, your emotional connection isn't that deep. No offense. A deep emotional connection to Port Adelaide's performances should have you at least a little bit broken at this point.

You're arguing with a bunch of absolute die hards here. 2011/12 attendees. People who have lived and died by the results of this team and who have pumped countless hours and dollars into supporting the club. Before at some point in the last decade their brain stopped letting them get their hopes up when we play a good game.

You're right, there isn't much enjoyment. Because it's all too easy to predict that winning 13 regular season games in a row doesn't mean you'll even get close in a final under this coach.

I’ll never forget going to West Lakes in 2011 in the middle of winter as I need to buy a new MacBook because the other went kaput and as I leave JB went to go downstairs to Kmart, I saw a pop-up stall with two blocks from Port Adelaide asking people, “Do you want to become a member?”, begging people to sign up only for people to just keep on walking by like if they were never there and finished at Kmart getting my stuff, and as I walked back to the car park and packed my things in the car, I thought myself gee wiz we are looking at what happened to us. It was bad enough going to games with my family and my mates when the tarps were out. At some games, attendance was so bad that if the ball was kicked and it landed on top of the traps, someone (usually the security guards) would have to throw the ball back to the umpire for the ump to throw in. My days they were dark times, very very bad.

Last edited:

2014 was cool and all but we completely cocked it up going from 11 and 1 to 12 and 7. We had a mini renaissance but eventually cocked it up again in the prelim with poor kicking. Many good memories from that year but one that got away from us.

I don’t think the 2014 group was as exciting as this playing group though, we are jam packed with young talent that has always kept me interested despite who is coaching. JHF, Butters, rozee, georgiades all genuine stars at 24 and under. Other young players building in Farrell, jones, Bergman, Burgoyne, Drew, BZT, mead, etc. Older players hitting form in allir, Houston, wines, Rioli even boak and Dixon are playing good at the moment. I honestly don’t think we’ve had a more balanced list in the last 20 years.

Pretty certain I’m older and been around longer than you champ. So don’t try and lecture me on who is a diehard, who has the deep enough emotional connection and who has or hasn’t ridden through the dark years of 2011-12.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're describing being a happy clapper Vs a disenchanted disconnected supporter.

Sitting there and happy clapping isn't the Port Adelaide way and I can't do it like you can
What a load of absolute crap. You have Hinkley living in your head rent free. I will support my team through thick or thin. You do you and I will do me. I support the players how I choose. I'm no Hinkley fan but he isn't the club. His blood sweat and tears aren't in the foundations of this great club. So the present custodians suck. You've given up. That's not the Port Adelaide way either. I know lots of Port people, all are tired of Hinkley but none want us to lose. Tell me how wanting us to lose is actually going to make it happen?

2014 was cool and all but we completely cocked it up going from 11 and 1 to 12 and 7. We had a mini renaissance but eventually cocked it up again in the prelim with poor kicking. Many good memories from that year but one that got away from us.

I don’t think the 2014 group was as exciting as this playing group though, we are jam packed with young talent that has always kept me interested despite who is coaching. JHF, Butters, rozee, georgiades all genuine stars at 24 and under. Other young players building in Farrell, jones, Bergman, Burgoyne, Drew, BZT, mead, etc. Older players hitting form in allir, Houston, wines, Rioli even boak and Dixon are playing good at the moment. I honestly don’t think we’ve had a more balanced list in the last 20 years.

Pretty certain I’m older and been around longer than you champ. So don’t try and lecture me on who is a diehard, who has the deep enough emotional connection and who has or hasn’t ridden through the dark years of 2011-12.

Probably older and yet not old enough to stop yourself from coming onto bigfooty after a win and potting your fellow supporters for having pattern recognition. 👍

It was mentioned on Fox Footy's On The Couch tonight that Port's last 6 quarters of football have yielded 29:24 (198) to 6:11 (47). The question everyone is asking is, is such startling form sustainable?
Garry also ran with the opening narrative that we booed 6 weeks ago and now we are singing his praise in the streets

what a crock of shit garry, love the way they make that crap up and no-one there to dispute his bullshit assertion.

What a load of absolute crap. You have Hinkley living in your head rent free. I will support my team through thick or thin. You do you and I will do me. I support the players how I choose. I'm no Hinkley fan but he isn't the club. His blood sweat and tears aren't in the foundations of this great club. So the present custodians suck. You've given up. That's not the Port Adelaide way either. I know lots of Port people, all are tired of Hinkley but none want us to lose. Tell me how wanting us to lose is actually going to make it happen?

Tell me how wanting us to win is actually going to make it happen?

Probably older and yet not old enough to stop yourself from coming onto bigfooty after a win and potting your fellow supporters for having pattern recognition. 👍
But all good for any supporter that actually has some hope in the team to be potted at any opportunity from all and sundry in the Port Board clique. Hypocrisy again but it's fine you can choose to delude yourself with the view that your opinions are superior and more representative of the average Port supporter but my experiences would suggest that is not the case, I'm actually one of the more negative ones in the real world.

It is actually crazy that I'm sitting here getting lectured about lacking emotional connection, not being a diehard, being a happy clapper, etc. And it's apparently me doing the potting for simply asking the question about whether the people on here still wanted to lose or not, because I've found the behaviour and attitudes of fans on here to be really confusing this year and lacking consistency. It was more a question to a collective group and i wasn't singling out anyone in particular.

Enjoy the rest of the season.

Koch, Davies and Hinkley are happy for us to finish mid-table every year and the only thing pushing us to achieve anything higher is the supporters booing, putting signs up or Tredrea getting on the radio...

These morons get comfortable whenever we have a postive win/loss record and let slip that they do no research on opposition, have no ambition to improve on the previous year, etc.

None of us can control that . What camp do you want to be in?
I know which one I'd rather be in.
I'm a Port person mate so wanting to lose isn't in my DNA.
Anything else doesn't make sense to me .

I'm in the camp that wants to see Port win a premiership - whilst I also recognise that the likelihood of that happening under Hinkley is remote, and thus if they don't win a premiership this year, I want the results to fall in such a way that it means Hinkley is relieved of his duties asap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back