Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm in the camp that wants to see Port win a premiership - whilst I also recognise that the likelihood of that happening under Hinkley is remote, and thus if they don't win a premiership this year, I want the results to fall in such a way that it means Hinkley is relieved of his duties asap.
So you want us to keep winning then. Glad we cleared that up.
That was my whole point.

Swans players have been given a reprieve from training for a mental and physical refresh before they take on Craig McRae’s 11th-placed Collingwood on Friday night.

Garry and Timmy revealed that the Swans' slump coincides with their 'mindfulness' guru being away with the Kookaburras in Paris. They bombed out in the quarter finals, so she can't be all that good...

That was my whole point.

Winning individual home and away games doesn't matter. Winning premierships matters.

Hinkley's 60% winning record is a bad record and he's a bad coach, because football clubs are measured in premierships.

Supporters shouldn't have to want us to lose, but how else do we get the coach out? He's proved very difficult to eradicate even in situations where every other club would have sacked him.

Winning individual home and away games doesn't matter. Winning premierships matters.

Hinkley's 60% winning record is a bad record and he's a bad coach, because football clubs are measured in premierships.

Supporters shouldn't have to want us to lose, but how else do we get the coach out? He's proved very difficult to eradicate even in situations where every other club would have sacked him.
You have to win the H and A games to get to the finals. I'm not disagreeing with you. If we flop again then sack the prick.
Don't know how my post got so misconstrued. Mr Cookie monster implied if you want us to win then your a happy clapper which is utter BS.

If we flop again then sack the prick.

The issue is that this line was the same in 2017, and yet here we are 7 seasons later making the same arguments.

We've had plenty of flops and they don't sack him.

For a lot of us, hope is gone until we sack him, and him picking up wins just keeps him here longer. We all want to be supporting the club and to be able to unabashedly enjoy a win like that, but due to the club's failure to act, a lot of us can't.

Maybe, I've just never heard anything good come from him. Just find it baffling that he has a job. Kellie Underwood gets a shit load of heat, but he is way worse. It's like nails on a chalkboard. I try and just ignore him as much as possible, because otherwise I spend the entire game getting frustrated at his stupid obvious points, or just flat out incorrect ones. He's just an absolute dope.
If you can be arsed, go back about 5 odd years ago and watch a game with him commentating. I'll bet in most cases you will be surprised at how badly he has fallen off.

2014 was cool and all but we completely cocked it up going from 11 and 1 to 12 and 7. We had a mini renaissance but eventually cocked it up again in the prelim with poor kicking. Many good memories from that year but one that got away from us.

I don’t think the 2014 group was as exciting as this playing group though, we are jam packed with young talent that has always kept me interested despite who is coaching. JHF, Butters, rozee, georgiades all genuine stars at 24 and under. Other young players building in Farrell, jones, Bergman, Burgoyne, Drew, BZT, mead, etc. Older players hitting form in allir, Houston, wines, Rioli even boak and Dixon are playing good at the moment. I honestly don’t think we’ve had a more balanced list in the last 20 years.

Pretty certain I’m older and been around longer than you champ. So don’t try and lecture me on who is a diehard, who has the deep enough emotional connection and who has or hasn’t ridden through the dark years of 2011-12.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Here's the funny thing though. Our coach in 2014 was 10x the coach we have in 2024.

I said what I said.

That was my whole point.
Every single person on this forum, even the ones saying they want us to lose individual games for the greater good, wants us to win out the season and win the flag.

Nobody wants to see us win 3 games, meekly stumble in to a prelim and get thrashed there, only for Hinkley to do it all again next year.

I've sat next to him on a plane a few times over the years. Looks small on TV but he's a solid lad - low centre of gravity as well which is advantageous as a small defender.

Arguably the best kick in the competition and an absolute weapon off half back. His defensive numbers would be interesting but I can't recall him getting pantsed by his opponent in any matchup this year specifically.
You're not Kenny's son, are you?

Yeah, a 60% H&A record over 12 years with no GFs to show for it actually makes it worse. In what world does acing all your practice tests and flunking your final exam count for anything?

You have to win the H and A games to get to the finals. I'm not disagreeing with you. If we flop again then sack the prick.
Don't know how my post got so misconstrued. Mr Cookie monster implied if you want us to win then your a happy clapper which is utter BS.
It's not at all.

Turning a blind eye and supporting, no matter what, is literally the definition of a happy clapper.

How many times have you heard Timmy Ginever talk about finishing a bad game and going into the club rooms and just hearing nothing but positivity. The answer is never.

It's a new fad, and it's exactly what the club wants from us. They want us to shut up, they want us to just pay, rock up, and support. They don't want us to question their poor management, they don't want us to put pressure on the coach, the board, the club, the players. They just want to sell tickets, stay stable and stay competitive. Its a mentality that is completely against the core of being a MEMBER driven club, that is striving for PREMIERSHIPS not mediocrity and competitiveness. It's literally exactly the mentality we've bagged the Crows for having with their customers, and it's why I can't just be silent. Being silent and blindly supporting has never been the Port way.

I'm a 4th generation Port fan. I spent my entire childhood in the outer at Alberton on Saturdays, attending every Magpies game through the 80s and 90s, before I've attended nearly every home game of the 27 AFL years we've played. Sacrificing events, arranging my life around this club. I'm as passionate as they come, but as a supporter I'm dying from watching my club losing its ruthless identity, burning through nearly an entire decade of hopelessness. Fos Williams would be rolling in his grave seeing what has happened. We've patiently waited YEARS for our club to grow some balls, and mid year it broke me. That was it, I've felt broken in 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, but this was it. I love what I've seen in the last 6 quarters, but I don't trust it or believe it at all, and if it is just a false dawn, then it is just another sugar hit which is only deepening our desperate position of needing change. So whether you like it or not, my position is set, I'm hoping whatever has to happen to sack Ken happens. I'm forever happy to be wrong about Ken and see him win us a flag, but I just can't sit here and support the poor decisions that our club has made for so long to be in this position given that I don't believe we will win anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not at all.

Turning a blind eye and supporting, no matter what, is literally the definition of a happy clapper.

How many times have you heard Timmy Ginever talk about finishing a bad game and going into the club rooms and just hearing nothing but positivity. The answer is never.

It's a new fad, and it's exactly what the club wants from us. They want us to shut up, they want us to just pay, rock up, and support. They don't want us to question their poor management, they don't want us to put pressure on the coach, the board, the club, the players. They just want to sell tickets, stay stable and stay competitive. Its a mentality that is completely against the core of being a MEMBER driven club, that is striving for PREMIERSHIPS not mediocrity and competitiveness. It's literally exactly the mentality we've bagged the Crows for having with their customers, and it's why I can't just be silent. Being silent and blindly supporting has never been the Port way.

I'm a 4th generation Port fan. I spent my entire childhood in the outer at Alberton on Saturdays, attending every Magpies game through the 80s and 90s, before I've attended nearly every home game of the 27 AFL years we've played. Sacrificing events, arranging my life around this club. I'm as passionate as they come, but as a supporter I'm dying from watching my club losing its ruthless identity, burning through nearly an entire decade of hopelessness. Fos Williams would be rolling in his grave seeing what has happened. We've patiently waited YEARS for our club to grow some balls, and mid year it broke me. That was it, I've felt broken in 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, but this was it. I love what I've seen in the last 6 quarters, but I don't trust it or believe it at all, and if it is just a false dawn, then it is just another sugar hit which is only deepening our desperate position of needing change. So whether you like it or not, my position is set, I'm hoping whatever has to happen to sack Ken happens. I'm forever happy to be wrong about Ken and see him win us a flag, but I just can't sit here and support the poor decisions that our club has made for so long to be in this position given that I don't believe we will win anything.
^from the heart.

Here's the funny thing though. Our coach in 2014 was 10x the coach we have in 2024.

I said what I said.
Based on what metrics? Still the same coach i think, which just had a much lower baseline of expectations in 2013-14 after the disaster that was 2008-2012, so the 14 and 8 5th placed minor round season seemed really good at the time but we have a chance to better that this year.

Our best season and chance overall was 2020. 2021 we should've made the GF too but i don't think we were getting past the Dees that year, but genuinely thought we were a big chance in 2020 if we got past Richmond.

It was mentioned on Fox Footy's On The Couch tonight that Port's last 6 quarters of football have yielded 29:24 (198) to 6:11 (47). The question everyone is asking is, is such startling form sustainable?
Is it the light switch moment such as when Geelong destroyed Richmond at marvel and never looked back?

Yeah, a 60% H&A record over 12 years with no GFs to show for it actually makes it worse. In what world does acing all your practice tests and flunking your final exam count for anything?
Yes, I feel this is the argument to be used at those who claim his H&A record is god like.

If it’s that good why hasn’t he made a grand final? Clearly he can’t coach under pressure, meaning his not a good coach!

Based on what metrics? Still the same coach i think, which just had a much lower baseline of expectations in 2013-14 after the disaster that was 2008-2012, so the 14 and 8 5th placed minor round season seemed really good at the time but we have a chance to better that this year.

Our best season and chance overall was 2020. 2021 we should've made the GF too but i don't think we were getting past the Dees that year, but genuinely thought we were a big chance in 2020 if we got past Richmond.
Relative to the list we had we did really well in 2014.

I'm not talking about stats here, I'm talking about the drive, the belief, all the little things were done well then. No laughing after losses, no lowering of expectations, no over-celebrating meaningless wins. He wanted success and believed in the players to achieve it.

Relative to the list we had we did really well in 2014.

I'm not talking about stats here, I'm talking about the drive, the belief, all the little things were done well then. No laughing after losses, no lowering of expectations, no over-celebrating meaningless wins. He wanted success and believed in the players to achieve it.
Yep, that 'Not Giving In', 'Yes We Ken', 'You Get What You Deserve' mentality left a long time ago.

I wonder how much influence, if any, Tredders has had on the team. There are still obvious questions with this team, especially around finals and winning a premiership, but maybe just maybe we might have turned a quarter because that wasn’t the same putrid style of play that Hinkleyball is. It felt like watching the Maggies under Jack with hunger, fight, and the desire to win at all costs. Kicking straight in front of goals. We, as a team, finally knowing our strengths and weaknesses and capitalise on them. This felt like finally watching Port Adelaide football, something that has been nonexistent since Choco got sacked.
Agree. I'm sure Tredders is having an impact in raising expectations & that's exactly what we need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21, 2024 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back