Round 21 Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Well the Crows take on Collingwood at AAMI Stadium to ensure a top 2 finish and a home Qualifying Final. Here are the changes I would make to the side for Round 21:

IN: Clarke, Maric
OUT: Hudson (inj), Skipworth (omit)

There has been much debate regarding who we should bring in to replace Ben Hudson following his knee-reconstruction. The obvious choices are either Clarke or Maric. One is experienced, the other is a rookie still learning the game and developing. However, in my opinion why not play them both? The Magpies ruck division is extremely poor, as they are led by younster David Fanning, and backed up the Clokes. We could play Rhett Biglands in the forward line for basically the entire game. This would allow Biglands to adjust to this position, as well as providing both Clarke and Maric an oppertunity to play in the ruck. One would ruck for two quarters, while at the same time the other would be spending time on the bench or floating around the ground. What do you think of my proposition?

i think it sucks, the Biglands idea as a forward was floated a while back when we were struggling forward, but Bock has released McGregor forward and solved that problem, we now have McGregor, Perrie for contested marks, Welsh on the lead, Hentschel as backup and thompson and Skippy roving and such like. I think our forward line is pretty much settled now with the occasional surprise of Roo.

I really dont think it would be wise to play 3 ruckmen, I would lean towards Clarke get him in against Collingwood to remind him of what AFL is and get him primed for the finals.

Out: Hudson
In: Clarke

i would like to see Ladhams but we all know that aint happening

Markthirtytwo said:
I for one would like to see that. Just give the lad experience, just in case.

Bock got dropped for team balance. No difference here.
Bock has been great since getting dropped - don't mess with his form.

IF we wanted to road test the 2 big men, then Kenny would be the one I would consider resting, as over the last month, it has looked like he needs a break. Also, would give Hentschel an opportunity for a full game @ CHF.

Kane McGoodwin said:

IF we wanted to road test the 2 big men, then Kenny would be the one I would consider resting, as over the last month, it has looked like he needs a break. Also, would give Hentschel an opportunity for a full game @ CHF.
Good point, I think Kenny looks sore and slow and would definitely be in need of a freshen up. I don't know that I would rest him all together though, but I would certainly start him on the pine. This game is still important for us as it guarantees 2nd spot- a very valuable prize that is still within reach of the Saints unless we flatten Collingwood.

I would love to see us demolish the Pies completely as we have a terrible record against them and we owe them plenty for the Tarrant goal and for the Cloke inspired Prelim. victory. We have to stick the boots in while they're down and enjoy it.

OUT: HUDSON :(
IN: Clarke :(

I never thought I would say this but Ladhams should come under consideration. 40 possessions last weekend. Must be rewarded at the expense of Skippy

Kane McGoodwin said:

Yeah but Bock was also very good before he got dropped.

Stiffy_18 said:
Yeah but Bock was also very good before he got dropped.
I disagree Stiffy. After I got back from overseas, Bock was well beaten in the 2 games I saw before getting dropped (Pavlich & ?). He has responded well as has been in our best players since returning.

Kane McGoodwin said:

Didnt mean the bockster, Kane, and your probably right, Kenny could need a weeks rest. Good move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane McGoodwin said:
I disagree Stiffy. After I got back from overseas, Bock was well beaten in the 2 games I saw before getting dropped (Pavlich & ?). He has responded well as has been in our best players since returning.
Yes but his month before that has been as good as he has been in the last couple of weeks (if not better)

Craig has shown this year that he is prepared to give players more than 2 weeks to get back on tracks.

SpringChoke said:
OUT: HUDSON :(
IN: Clarke :(

I never thought I would say this but Ladhams should come under consideration. 40 possessions last weekend. Must be rewarded at the expense of Skippy

Skippy was very good last week, Springy. 10 disposals in 40 minutes - that translates to a 30 disposal game in a full game. They were good touches too.

As Jars458 said he plays an important role in our structure. He won't be dropped.

Stiffy_18 said:
For the life of me I can't understand people going into the game with 3 ruckman (omitting a small in the process) when its forcasted to be a very wet day. Whatever happened to team balance :confused:

OUT: Hudson :(
IN: Clarke

Did you or did you not read my post? We are playing Collingwood, do people realise how bad they are? Worst forward line in the league, pathetic midfield and even worse ruck division. We will destroy them, so at the same time why not experiment and give both Clarke and Maric a go?

Stiffy_18 said:
For the life of me I can't understand people going into the game with 3 ruckman (omitting a small in the process) when its forcasted to be a very wet day. Whatever happened to team balance :confused:

OUT: Hudson :(
IN: Clarke

Dont think a big for a small is a wise option either but I seem to think we have a couple of pretty sore players at the minute and bringing Maric in wouldnt do any harm. Give him experience just in case, give him a taste of what AFL footy is all about from being on the ground. He just wouldnt have experienced that type of pressure before.

Resting Kenny or Perrie and rotating a big un down the sharp end providing it's not going to be wet ofcourse.

Drummond said:
Did you or did you not read my post? We are playing Collingwood, do people realise how bad they are? Worst forward line in the league, pathetic midfield and even worse ruck division. We will destroy them, so at the same time why not experiment and give both Clarke and Maric a go?
This is the same pathetic collingwood that beat WC earlier in the year?????? Or the same pathetic Collingwood that has the wood over us for well over a decade and always seem to beat us even when they are struggling and we are flying??????

Its wet and playing 3 ruckman is not a great tactical move even if you are playing Gepps Cross reserves.

I sure am glad you have nothing to do with our match committee.

Stiffy_18 said:
Yes but his month before that has been as good as he has been in the last couple of weeks (if not better)

Craig has shown this year that he is prepared to give players more than 2 weeks to get back on tracks.
But you said Bock was good before he got dropped - I was disagreeing on that point as he was poor IMO just before getting dropped & has responded well since.

macca23 said:
Skippy was very good last week, Springy. 10 disposals in 40 minutes - that translates to a 30 disposal game in a full game. They were good touches too.

As Jars458 said he plays an important role in our structure. He won't be dropped.
Yep, not only was he good last week, but has been solid all year. You don't drop a performing player just for the sake of it - particularly to replace with another who has been given more opportunities!

Stiffy_18 said:
This is the same pathetic collingwood that beat WC earlier in the year?????? Or the same pathetic Collingwood that has the wood over us for well over a decade and always seem to beat us even when they are struggling and we are flying??????

Its wet and playing 3 ruckman is not a great tactical move even if you are playing Gepps Cross reserves.

Stiffy, the Pies are tanking at the moment & are not the same motivated team that they were against Weagles.

The Pies no longer have the wood on us either.

This is our last opprortunity against a weaker side to experiment.

I think the 3 ruckmen idea has merit in principle.

I would have liked to see Liam or Ivan in the 22 given that until now we have had a fairly stable squad, and there probably has been some room for experimentation. Everything is easy in hind sight....who's to say we would have been 15/5 if we had gone down this path though ?

However, I think now that we're only 1 win from a definite top 2 spot (Give 'em the ol heave ho !).....*I can't believe I said that !*.... :eek: ............then the time for experimentation has gone.

We need to go with whoever the match committee consider is in the best form, and most likely to be able to handle finals football. Despite my ideology that has a predisposition to blood new talent, I think we need to go with Clarke given he has the experience and has played finals football.

The reality is that the Dirty Dancer has been on fire the last 4 weeks....and I have been pleased to see NC start qtrs with him on the ball recently.

.....so whoever comes in........Ivan or The Vet.....they are only going to be covering the last 10 mins of every qtr. So hopefully the impact of Huddo's injury, and the possible ramifications of an incorrect decision on Maric v Clarke, can be softened somewhat.

Stiffy_18 said:

I was at the Collingwood vs West Coast game, and the Pies played great, but that was Round 9! A long, long time ago, a lot has changes since then, their 'form' has dropped, and they have suffered some key injuries. Collingwood have lost their last 6 matches! We actually beat them this year, do you remember? So do they still have the wood on us?

As I said, we can play Biglands in the forward line, and rotate Clarke and Maric in the ruck. Don't you understand that we are not going to lose this game, almost regardless of what we do?

Maybe I should....

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 21 Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back