Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Schultz and Lipinski should play VFL for the final 2, Schultz gives good pressure but just cant do anything right with ball in hand. Stuffs absolutely everything up. Lipinski is slow, soft and lazy

Schulz is a mark and kick small forward not a Bobby Hill type. He's Elliott from the square.

Gees that was the incredibly frustrating.

You just knew we’d shut down after Ned’s goal early last quarter, allowing them to roar back.

Positives?

Steele was great.
Long showed a fair bit tonight.
Isaac’s best game of the year.
Anyone who needs off season surgery, go get it now!
Give Ed Allan a game or two in the centre.
Try Reef on the ball as well. See what they’ve both got, albeit they’ll be against pretty tough opponents.

This loss in particular should ensure we’ll be a whole lot hungrier next year than they were this year and also better prepared for season start - hopefully not be 0-3 in a blink of an eye with the crazy short breaks early on.

We deserved to be premiers last year, tbh, we haven’t been the same team this year in all honesty.

Special shout out to the umps as well 🤮 hmmm, don’t love it when two teams, whoever they are, appear to have different thresholds for what’s a free and what isn’t.

Anyhow, it was a real stretch that we’d make finals from where we were, at least we can all relax now ( a rare commodity for a Pies fan 🙂)

Take care all.

Moving forward, what are we realistically going to do in the midfield? Blanket Nick and we are toast.

Nobody stepping up as a youngster, our cattle are all old and whilst experienced are still slow, we lack explosion, JDG can’t stay healthy, that’s where we will continue to be smoked in tight games.

Cripps last week, Heeney and Warner this week. Who is going to be our big inside mid who can protect Nick and turn a game? I literally have no faith we have anyone who can step up. That will be our issue moving forward.

we still had the game on our boot on a few occasions and burned those opportunities.

100%

The result is not on the umpires (despite the crap decisions).

This was more of a choke from Collingwood than an impressive comeback by Sydney.

Pies let this game slip.

They talk about playing for the key moments. There were so many instances in the last where they failed to capture them.

For all you guys blaming Fly for the poor season, you can only do so much with the cattle you have on the field. We simply do not have the quality to go toe to toe with the more skillful sides.... And you can only do so much against corrupt umpiring.
There’s common sense and allowance for that for sure.

And many accept that.

However, he has lost his way and the DNA of what he preached when he first came in.

He has become such a safe coach …as evident without we are being overrun in last terms from positions of strength …and from his selections of the types of players.

As part of a midfield mix…Ned Long and Jack Bytel aren’t premiership material or finals damaging material
Even if they had somewhat decent games…you only need to watch the way the play the game to tell you that they don’t fit …and the manager has changed the way we play and setup which has now allowed for these types of limiting players to be playing such prominent and premium roles.

I don’t wanna sit there and bash individuals but it’s just to highlight an example that these types of players aren’t featuring in 22 or 23 and yet they’re holding down premium roles in a side trying to keep its season alive…

We’re kidding ourselves if we are going to support Naicos with Ned Long in a centre bounce or moving on from Jaicos or Sidebottom from wing roles to names like Bytel….

Reef McInnes if given the amount of midfield mins either them have been afforded will produce more output IMO and his talent alone is far higher as a ceiling….

This is what happens when a coach though loses his edge and begins to tighten up …
He has credits in the bank but he has evolved into something that would never have gotten him the job in the first place which is sad.

Fly won a flag way earlier than he should of with our list, Schultz was not a need for us so not sure why we did the trade not saying he is shit but he wasn't a need that is what i don't get
We love trading for non-needs.

We were stacked in 2018 for half forwards and mids and had Tyson Goldsack playing full back on grand final day. Better prioritise chasing Beams over May!

We were run over by the top of the ladder side by three points - actually their three superstars played blinders in the last quarter.

We put ourselves in a position to win but momentum, poor umpiring and some very lucky kicks landing to Swans players beat us.

We look exhausted the last six weeks.
The AFL have bled us to death draining as much money as they can with our fixture this year. If we finish out of the eight then we should only play sides around us twice next year but they bleed us for the money. Two games in Sydney vs Sydney. Explain?

I say we Fck over the AFL and rest anyone with an injury now and start our pre season.

It’s been a disappointing season for us fans. Im not sure what to make of it but I hope the club wants to be better and has a brutal review. Apparently the fans count. We were told they did last year for us. Let’s see what happens now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Piss off. He's had an average to poor year. He can play and has proven it. He'll get better. Spuds don't win Two Derby medals in WA.
Can play and has proven it? What against North? Ahahhaha. Probably his only good game all year. Come on mate, we've lost a fuking top 10 pick for this spud. Would love to have that pick back... Absolutely shits himself when the pressure is on.

No the two from Cox and Moore were blatant taps towards the boundary from 2 dumb footballers.
Cox type deliberate is never paid. It’s considered a fumble in a contest 99% of the time.

Moore has Cameron there. You’re 100% wrong on this one. Ump 5M away can see Cameron there and calmly calls throw in. Old mate from 50M away sprints in and overrules. Someone posted footage of it before. Go have a look.

It happens to just about every team in the comp these days...
It's not these days, it's been happening for decades to nearly every team who does it defending leads in last quarters by trying to not attack is a really great way to let your opposition back in.

It's been that way since Buckley was a player till now. Parking the bus is a shit tactic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I blame round zero into three consecutive 6 day breaks.
It can't be a coincidence that the two Grand Finalists from the year before both start the season 0-3 which has never happened before, and we have the earliest start to a season in VFL/AFL history.

It goes some way to explaining our downturn in fortunes.

100%

The result is not on the umpires (despite the crap decisions).

This was more of a choke from Collingwood than an impressive comeback by Sydney.

Pies let this game slip.

They talk about playing for the key moments. There were so many instances in the last where they failed to capture them.
100% this is right, some shit decisions from the umps but we had this game in our control, we let Heeney just dominate us that was in our control, our mids struggled to win a clearance that was in our control. Hopefully for next year we can look at the midfield although not sure how that happens with no meaningful draft picks

It can't be a coincidence that the two Grand Finalists from the year before both start the season 0-3 which has never happened before, and we have the earliest start to a season in VFL/AFL history.

It goes some way to explaining our downturn in fortunes.
yet, look at Brisbane now

Does that lend itself to maybe we don't quite have the talent there to do it?

We won a well deserved flag but we did so with a record number of close wins. Which means the opposition were also in every game up to the death knell most weeks.
Last year was also helped with less injuries and a more consistent 23. Unfortunately we haven’t been able to build momentum throughout the 2024 season.

Last year was also helped with less injuries and a more consistent 23. Unfortunately we haven’t been able to build momentum throughout the 2024 season.

We had plllllenty of injuries last year

Seems everyone has short memories

It also feels like we’re the only team who slips over

Absolutely staggering how frequently our players just slip over for no real reason
On this we can agree. Very frustrating!

I dont think the umpires are corrupt and I dont think the AFL is out to get us.

But I do think the manufacturers of our footy boots put something on the soles to make us slip over at critical times.

(I'm only half joking)

Gees that was the incredibly frustrating.

You just knew we’d shut down after Ned’s goal early last quarter, allowing them to roar back.

Positives?

Steele was great.
Long showed a fair bit tonight.
Isaac’s best game of the year.
Anyone who needs off season surgery, go get it now!
Give Ed Allan a game or two in the centre.
Try Reef on the ball as well. See what they’ve both got, albeit they’ll be against pretty tough opponents.

This loss in particular should ensure we’ll be a whole lot hungrier next year than they were this year and also better prepared for season start - hopefully not be 0-3 in a blink of an eye with the crazy short breaks early on.

We deserved to be premiers last year, tbh, we haven’t been the same team this year in all honesty.

Special shout out to the umps as well 🤮 hmmm, don’t love it when two teams, whoever they are, appear to have different thresholds for what’s a free and what isn’t.

Anyhow, it was a real stretch that we’d make finals from where we were, at least we can all relax now ( a rare commodity for a Pies fan 🙂)

Take care all.
I’ve been hanging around for someone with a calm and balanced response that had some positives to pop up like yours. I’m certainly not capable of it at the moment. Thanks👍

On tonight it looks to be an open finals series. Swans looked cooked for 3 and a half quarters with only a few blokes missing from their best 23.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back