Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

We get to a 5 goal lead and you just know what's coming. Defensive rubbish that allows the oppo to get a run on.

When you've got your foot on the other teams throat, you dont stop, you go harder and bury the campaigners.

So many 8 goal plus wins we turn into single figure victories or as we found out numerous times this year, draws and close losses. Last night burns.
Have you been watching other games? Plenty of other teams coughing up 5 goal leads in the last

Fly won a flag way earlier than he should of with our list, Schultz was not a need for us so not sure why we did the trade not saying he is shit but he wasn't a need that is what i don't get

No, it was the final effort out of what is an ageing list. We got the flag that we missed in 18/19 albeit most of out core bar Nick were 5 years older. Now the list is on the edge of a cliff. Browne says we'll keep regenerating rather than going the draft. The issue is we have nothing to play with this off season.

Have you been watching other games? Plenty of other teams coughing up 5 goal leads in the last
Yes it’s happening across the entire comp no doubt as 5 goal margins are nothing to make up in momentum shifts.

The issue with us is, this season….our pattern of just being overrun in the last term was once our greatest strength and is now our greatness weakness.

I’d love to know how many supporters have enjoyed watching us play this year?
It’s not about wins and losses, just purely about entrainment value and enjoyment of what the team is trying to do on a weekly basis….for me, personally, we have bored more than excited which needs to be corrected in the summer

So it didn’t take long for me to simmer down. The season is over, that’s bringing me peace now, I can finally stop caring and hoping until next season. I try to never count my chickens before they’ve hatched, but you simply shouldn’t lose from those sort of leads.

We’ve gone from the kings of the comeback, to wilting under the pressure of other teams going helter skelter because we’ve actually set ourselves up to win a game.

Anywho -

DC: Keeps getting better and better. Absolutely immense, and as much as I love/d BG, Darcy gave him a bath and has undoubtedly repaid the faith for investing in him.

Crisp: Had moments. Strong in the contest for the most part.

Jaicos: Good without being great. Didn’t impact when we need him.

Sidey: Massive on Gulden. Unfortunately the only moment of that game that anyone will remember from that head to head is Gulden’s goal.

McCreery: Turned up the pressure, that’s his bread and butter. I expect nothing less.

McStay: Great in my opinion. Really starting to get that confidence back, his marking game is a massive asset.

Howe: Disappointing end to a milestone. Set up and intercepted well for most of the night, prone to an absolute weekly clanger that’ll cost a goal though.

Pendles: Not great, not terrible.

Cox: Playing his role.

Hill: Was busy, had moments. I probably give him an out like most of the forwards tbh. Can’t score if the ball doesn’t come down there, was involved when it was.

Bytel: Don’t really see anything majorly special about him, epitome of ‘bottom 6’ player who will probably never break out. Wasn’t bad but has a ceiling.

Long: More or less the above, but exceeded my expectations.

Moore: Like Howe, held up okay for most of the night. This is the base level sort of game I expect consistently from Darcy.

Quaynor: Nice to see him kick a goal. Look a bit more lively tonight but his season pretty much sums up the team as a whole. A fall from grace.

Naicos: Was really proud of the effort to fight through the tag early, clearance work was elite. I won’t say a bad word against Nick, I’ll leave that to oppo supporters. He needs the support around him, can’t be a one man band all the time.

Elliott: Barely noticed him, thought he was getting out-worked and out-bodied early.

Noble: Eh, he is what he is.

Lipinski: Like many of his team mates, was contributing when it was going well, disappeared when the Swans changed gears.

Schultz: Forward pressure was a tick, didn’t feel like any sort of offensive threat though.

WHE: Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.

Maynard: See Lipinski

Frampton: I’ve said it before, he’s a deadset meme. We rightfully piss ourselves laughing that he locks down on Charlie Curnow, but then in the space of a week can look like he’s forgotten how to play football.

Richards: Went well at his post-game running load I heard.. obviously can’t judge, seems a bit silly to wait so long to pull the trigger, if at all.

He played on Mckay.

Imagine having mids like Heeney. We lack class. They have Warner, Gulden and Heeney. We only have Nick who struggles with a tag and has to be tagged because we do not have any other quality mid. Heeney is sensational.

It's weird how supporters haven't noticed that other clubs are simply doing exactly what we were doing to them last year. It's almost like they studied our game style 🤪

I don't recall the heat being on the team which gave up their 30+ lead at 3 qtr time last year & losing to us.

It was all about our comeback & our supposed 'luck' 🙄

We obviously worked on being in front at 3qtr time this year, we just hadn't counted on the opposition able to do our type of comebacks...!

Hopefully we get our 4 qtr game going next year 🤞

Schultz cops a lot of flack. Didn’t look to do a lot from the broadcast, but he might one of those players who are noticed more at the ground vs on tv. At the ground in previous weeks he does a lot of unrewarded running to present or pressure.

That said, he misses a lot of gettable shots on goal and they’re often not close either. He’s not the only player who misses goals, but I have no confidence when he lines up.

He runs around alot applying 'forward pressure', gets bowled over 6-8 times per game, winded or smacked in the head 2-3 times per game, might have 3 shots on goal for 1.1 and another that doesn't make the distance.

He was a gun at Freo but has been very underwhelming as a Pie.

Imagine having mids like Heeney. We lack class. They have Warner, Gulden and Heeney. We only have Nick who struggles with a tag and has to be tagged because we do not have any other quality mid. Heeney is sensational.

JDG. Take a peek at his prelim last year. Unfortunately he's injury prone and will never consistently play at his peak.

We were missing degoey last night. Injury free he’s a match winner and proven big game player. We also don’t get free academy hits like the swans.

Hasn’t done much for them. 1 flag in 2012 in recent memory

We also have Degoey who is a quality mid.Unfortunately he doesn’t play much these days.

To be fair we have had mids of class…we don’t need to imagine.
We have seen names like Pendles and Sidebottom, we now have Naicos.
We have JDG —his final series last year was super strong and clutch.

However, yes we do need to find replacements for two of our generational champions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, it was the final effort out of what is an ageing list. We got the flag that we missed in 18/19 albeit most of out core bar Nick were 5 years older. Now the list is on the edge of a cliff. Browne says we'll keep regenerating rather than going the draft. The issue is we have nothing to play with this off season.
Makes sense, going to be interesting offseason. I do think we do need to start retiring a few older players. Look at Geelong retired I Smith (norm smith in the premiership) and Selwood, they had a bad year but now right in mix again. Issue for us is lack of draft picks hopefully some of the VFL players come through.

If you think Heeney, Warner, Gulden being held for 90% of a game is a winning formula for a flag, I can’t agree.
Swans win was far more about us losing it than them winning it.

Last years set up certainly achieved a better result.

Last year we had a more consistent and connected lineup, and last year we were given way more access to transition through the guts. Neither have been applicable this year. Selection has been a revolving door as evidenced by 6 debutants and 3 club debutants, and teams have denied us the corridor.

But at least when they get to training on Monday you won’t be able to tell that they lost and are not playing finals, that’s the main thing isn’t it?

I said after the bye we’d be lucky to win one game for the rest of the season.

I’ve said this a few times over the past few months. We won’t be a competitive side until at least 2030 now. No young players expect Nick and Beau but Beau is not a 30+ possession player. No trade or draft capital at all so this year at least we need a miracle to draft anyone decent with our first pick at 200 because you know we gave up so much for the worst trade we’ve ever done.
2030??
Seriously??
When is the last time you saw Collingwood uncompetitive for 6 years.
Without looking at any stats I would confidently say it has never happened.
You don't play in 45 grand finals and god knows how many other finals series by being uncompetitive for 6 years.
Yes we may have a couple of down years but it won't take us till 2030 to be competitive again.

More shame on them then for getting a twenty goal flogging last week. They did the same in the 2022 GF.
Bloods' Culture. What a joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back