Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be very interesting if we pack up shop next week and get ahead of injuries. I am assuming Pendles and Maynard are carrying injuries. I wouldn’t be surprised if Elliott was the first to retire. Even McStay may not be worth the risk and strengthen his body more over the off season.

HH is a bitter blow.

Long has been thrown to the wolves with opponents. It may be time to see what Demattia and Allan offer. Dean instead of Frampton.

Or do we play for the mathematical possibility that we can still make it.

The winners mentality we’ve been sold is hard to swallow since the bye. We are not learning and improving.

Do we have the balls to make changes to a premiership team or will we make the mistake of making excuses for this year and back up again?

We have been smashed at midfield clearances this year. Our midfield is not amongst the best. By name and reputation it appears to be but it’s not.

The Swans trio last quarter annihilated us when it counted. This is fact.

Fly says we are always evolving. Then do it.

Proud of the boys putting themselves in a position to win but we have not played four quarters all season. Seriously. Why not?

Go Pies

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

“We have been smashed at midfield clearances this year. Our midfield is not amongst the best. By name and reputation it appears to be but it’s not.”

“Long has been thrown to the wolves with opponents.”

You’ve answered your own statements.

Couple of players were missing last night that may address those issues

Let them be. Who cares. Can we be anymore hated by opposition fans than we already are? He's human. How many Collingwood supporters were screaming the same during the last term? Sometimes logic and balance go out the window when your team loses in such painful circumstances.
Yeah fair points Domus. I understand that he's frustrated like the rest of us. I'm just sick of the media's BS more than anything.

Not sure about this - - it’s not laziness he just lacks the confidence to act, and takes the path of least risk. In his mind it’s better to do that than make an error.
Self preservation is a powerful driver of his actions.
That's a lot of words for describing lazy.

Oh but bloods culture man, bloods culture. I can't believe he dribbled that shit in the post game last night.

The ‘Bloods’ culture is rubbish. Where was it during the flogging in the 22 GF, and last week’s 112 point hiding? The club’s leadership was completely missing in those games.

They got up last night, and got the points. Good luck to them. But don’t trot out the ‘Bloods’ garbage after a win like that, which was preceded only a week ago by an humiliating performance.

It might have helped the club feel united and good about themselves in the struggling old days of South Melbourne. But it has nothing to do with Sydney.

Rant over!

It will be very interesting if we pack up shop next week and get ahead of injuries. I am assuming Pendles and Maynard are carrying injuries. I wouldn’t be surprised if Elliott was the first to retire. Even McStay may not be worth the risk and strengthen his body more over the off season.

HH is a bitter blow.

Long has been thrown to the wolves with opponents. It may be time to see what Demattia and Allan offer. Dean instead of Frampton.

Or do we play for the mathematical possibility that we can still make it.

Proud of the boys putting themselves in a position to win but we have not played four quarters all season. Seriously. Why not?

Go Pies

Personally I believe we have had a very tolling last couple of years and the shortest preseason ever has done is zero favours. Add to the mix we have basically has zero inside midfields from last year impact this year (Mitchell, Adams, Degoey) having to play Nick Daicos and Crisp there has been a blow for us as much as those 2 have tried. Adams leaving us hurt more than I expected as he would have played every game this year with majority of it in the role he wanted. Easy to say In hindsight but I did say at the time it was a courageous move by Adams. Worst thing is Adams could potentially find himself in the same position at sydney than he did at the Pies not being that first choice inside mid and might not find a place at half forward. That's just a quick summary tho as there are a few more issues we are facing but I believe these things are arguably a catalyst to our demise this year.

The ‘Bloods’ culture is rubbish. Where was it during the flogging in the 22 GF, and last week’s 112 point hiding? The club’s leadership was completely missing in those games.

They got up last night, and got the points. Good luck to them. But don’t trot out the ‘Bloods’ garbage after a win like that, which was preceded only a week ago by an humiliating performance.

It might have helped the club feel united and good about themselves in the struggling old days of South Melbourne. But it has nothing to do with Sydney.

Rant over!
I think it's a sign of horse being a bit desperate as he knows they are in trouble so he's trying to do a rallying call. They'll be very sore and sorry the Sydney boys I think they'll struggle to find their best again this year and he knows it.

“We have been smashed at midfield clearances this year. Our midfield is not amongst the best. By name and reputation it appears to be but it’s not.”

“Long has been thrown to the wolves with opponents.”

You’ve answered your own statements.

Couple of players were missing last night that may address those issues

Degoey is very good when he is on but evidence is we are not stronger with him in the midfield. Mitchell is a huge loss but Adams was good cover. He is going to have to do it alone. I have faith in Long; would like to see him after 50 games. Yet we still struggle against the competitions best big bodied mids. Im not criticising just trying to see where we get better with an ageing midfield. Ideally Pendles and Crisp should not have to play there.

Packing up for me.

No way I will tune in if it's Geelong and Sydney in the grand final again. Will just put on 2023 and pretend 2024 didn't exist while the Cats win in another grand final mauling in lieu of the 2024 AFL Grand Final I have no interest in. Last thing I want is seeing Henry become a premiership player.

So all those who've had enough, don't care, won't bother with footy for the rest of the season - now that the Lions have been smacked and toppled from their high perch on the ladder, do you have any interest in next week's game?

I can't wait. We can have some fun here, and help drive the Lions further down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So all those who've had enough, don't care, won't bother with footy for the rest of the season - now that the Lions have been smacked and toppled from their high perch on the ladder, do you have any interest in next week's game?

13.3 to 4.9 in the last three quarters. Ouch

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rant over!
Good rant though,I enjoyed it.😀

The only good thing out of this debacle is that it probably didn’t cost us a place in the finals.Even if we had won our last three games we probably would have missed out on the finals on percentage because our percentage is so lousy.
And for the same reason we lost this game - protecting 5-goal leads instead of punting teams away to an early shower.

Since we got robbed last night, there has been a bit of name calling on here.
So we've missed the finals, but Fly has taken us to a prelim and a GF win in the 3 seasons he's been coach.
Would you have taken that after we finished 17th in 2021?
Come on guys and gals, this is not the Carlton or Essendon board - we're better than that.
We just have to do better next season.

Geelong vs Sydney is the worst outcome for a GF

Nope, Carlton vs anyone is the worst outcome, as it gives the filth a 50/50 chance of winning.

If we’re not in it, and they’re not in it, I don’t care who wins it (assuming Essendon are also no chance).

Nothing to lose next two weeks. Just want to see good performances. Would love to screw up the Lions top 4 hopes next week.

Let's get in their heads.
We beat them in the GF, and beat them at the Gabba.
Let's fix them up again at the G.
Then lets make Melbourne's already miserable season even worse.
We can lay the foundation for next season.
Go Pies!!

Are you more upset about the trade or the form of the pies ?

If they backed up their form from last season then pick say 15 to 18 would be a win.

Seems a lot of people are upset at the wrong thing.

I have no worries about the first round pick we gave, I’m more worried about the drop in form.
They're connected.

I don't have a problem with the trade. Although not having watched him much previously, I was expecting him to be cleaner and more composed with the footy than he has been for us.

Trade, draft and contracts are bets on the future. Theyre risk versus reward.

There was always a risk that we'd drop down the ladder - we're a chance now to drop pretty low and we'll lose a lot on the trade. But in the premiership window, the potential reward was also very high.

Bemoaning every loss is silly, as we'll always have losses, as you have to take risks and aren't going to win without taking them.

Has anyone asked Fly why he kept a fresh fast player on the bench for the entire last quarter when we were desperate for some legs and energy?

Truly bizarre coaching behavior

Did he forget he had a sub available?
Yep. I called him earlier.

He said that with 10 minutes to go we were in control 26 points up with the ball locked in with repeat chances to extend the lead. Then they got one against the tide and another one straight out of the centre square to put the game well and truly on the line. He didn't feel it was caused by an individual player lacking run, so he backed them all in.

Do you think had we used that currency on a midfielder or a half back instead of Schultz our form would be better?
Hard to say, in an ideal world we would still have Murphy and our backline would be ok.

I think the bulk core of our problems stem from the midfield, depending on who it was we could be better if we targeted an midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back