Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comparing him to Elliott is an insult to Elliott. Elliott is clutch.

Still can't believe I had to argue against posters trying to claim he was elite at the start of the year

It wasn't posters claiming anything, it's the AFL stats that bestowed the elite tag. You can argue against it all you like, doesn't change the facts.

So all those who've had enough, don't care, won't bother with footy for the rest of the season - now that the Lions have been smacked and toppled from their high perch on the ladder, do you have any interest in next week's game?

I can't wait. We can have some fun here, and help drive the Lions further down.
Yep. I can't wait for the GF replay.

Packing up for me.

No way I will tune in if it's Geelong and Sydney in the grand final again. Will just put on 2023 and pretend 2024 didn't exist while the Cats win in another grand final mauling in lieu of the 2024 AFL Grand Final I have no interest in. Last thing I want is seeing Henry become a premiership player.
Stop posting this everywhere dude - it’s just trolling at this point.

Geelong aren’t getting anywhere near the grand final in any event.

Hard to say, in an ideal world we would still have Murphy and our backline would be ok.

I think the bulk core of our problems stem from the midfield, depending on who it was we could be better if we targeted a midfielder.
Murphy would improve us defensively but he wouldn’t fix the lack of run coming out of our defence.

The worst thing about losing to these flogs is that they beat us in 2022 by a point after another controversial umpire decision that got them in the granny. Not to mention their supporters are insufferable.

Can’t stand them, hoping anyone else apart from them and Geelong win the GF. Yeah I’m bitter but don’t really care

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Obviously given we are out, hoping the dogs or giants can get it done. The rest of the potentials 🤢🤢🤢.

Usually I agree w you Stormsky, but I judge the process as results will always differ

- 2022 trading was still slightly above value for what those players were currently delivering (for whatever reason) and the cost of the trades (even if the players didn’t develop or fit our scheme, weren’t going to seriously compromise our future drafting / trading
Had GWS know he would be a NS medalist, then they quite rightly could and should have asked for more. He wanted out and they did ok for what he had produced.

- I’m in the camp of I don’t care if our F1 for Schultz turns out to be pick 6 or 18, the process of the deal wasn’t right. He was not worth a F1 and current 2nd. I hate other posters (not you) making assumptions that I wouldn’t be criticising the trade if it was 18. The trade was short-sighted, arrogant and flippant with our pick currency (this is all my opinion - but I think I’ve argued it well). He would have been UFA in one year, and I believe the picks (if they needed to be traded at all) should have been spent in other areas of the ground. We have the right and responsibility to walk away from trades if the other club asks too much.

What is disgraceful is the treatment of Schultz who had no say in his cost. My fury is direct solely at those who signed off on this

- further, just bc we trade well one year doesn’t give those responsible a open-ended stamp to “just get deals done”. Look at the names we are now mentioning about bringing in bc we can’t bring in quality. Look at the decisions being considered about future picks being trade bc we don’t have the currency for this draft that has both the mids and talls we need / like. Imagine if there was a Selwood there at our first and he could help us win multiple flags? Yes I know that reaching but it’s the same as posters who as so dismissive of first and second round picks

I’d have also been staunch on making the Cats give a first for Ollie or be willing to see him go to draft for nothing. There are still benchmarks to be set. Just my opinion.

Sorry about the long response, not directed at you, I’m just so mad that an idiot like me could see the foolishness of last season’s trade period and those who are smart and make big $$$ couldn’t be more responsible for our future - we are the club, not them.
Bet they’ll still take my membership $ next year.

I agree with most of that. Particularly not worrying too much about what the outcome - it's whether or not it was a decent bet at the time.

However, I wouldn't factor in ufa - contracted guys like Daniher and Hill who didn't get to their nominated club one year chose different clubs next year. Plus the salary demand would have jumped a heap.

Salary is one factor that makes it difficult to judge trades, as we all know it's part of trade price in salary dumps, however you'd also be willing to pay more if the bloke is on a good contract, and Schultz's rumoured contract sounded pretty modest.

The other factor is it's clear that even with normal injuries we just didn't have the depth - as none of the kids were ready or particularly likely to be ready. We needed to bring someone in. So in a premiership window, paying a bit more was worth it, as the reward from the trade was potentially greater.

Having said all that, I was expecting him to be a fair bit better - he lacks composure - making the price we paid too high.

Last edited:
So all those who've had enough, don't care, won't bother with footy for the rest of the season - now that the Lions have been smacked and toppled from their high perch on the ladder, do you have any interest in next week's game?

I can't wait. We can have some fun here, and help drive the Lions further down.
Plus tomorrow we get to rejoice at either a Carlton or Hawthorn loss. And then there's one or both of them getting knocked out of finals. Good times ahead.

I wasn’t too upset last night as I thought we did well for 3 qtrs but damn I woke up absolutely gutted, just feels like a missed opportunity to actually make some noise in the finals, offcourse Lions lose as well to make things worse smh

Since we got robbed last night, there has been a bit of name calling on here.
So we've missed the finals, but Fly has taken us to a prelim and a GF win in the 3 seasons he's been coach.
Would you have taken that after we finished 17th in 2021?
Come on guys and gals, this is not the Carlton or Essendon board - we're better than that.
We just have to do better next season.
All boards are the same cesspool of reactionary rubbish based on whether their team wins or loses.

Nothing to lose next two weeks. Just want to see good performances. Would love to screw up the Lions top 4 hopes next week.
Hey, careful what you wish for!

Brisbane, Sydney, even maybe Port / GWS with double chances are all hopeful barriers to Carlton getting too far!

If there’s a God, anyone but!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. I called him earlier.

He said that with 10 minutes to go we were in control 26 points up with the ball locked in with repeat chances to extend the lead. Then they got one against the tide and another one straight out of the centre square to put the game well and truly on the line. He didn't feel it was caused by an individual player lacking run, so he backed them all in.
Word has it, he was desperately trying to get a hold of doctor/coach kappa for advice on what to do but kappa was too busy giving a speech to athletes and world leaders in France

I don’t understand why no journo asked why did they wait until the end to sub, in the presser.

The most ridiculous use of the sub l have seen considering the form of Schultz during the night.
Does the club feel they need to play Schultz because of what we paid for him in the trade. Otherwise we will look stupid if we dropped or sub him off during a game!!!!

Never thought I’d see the day; Hodge calling out the further away ump over ruling the closer ump with those deliberate calls last night. Hodge was also the strongest on the 50 to McStay. Can we give him a whistle?

I’m not sure who to put that game on…the players or the coaches.
Because of how frequent we have just stopped in last terms when we get to 25-30 point leads…and get reigned in so quickly tells me it’s on the coaches.

It's been a team effort this season. Coaches and Players have all been ordinary when the heat is on. Plenty to ponder in the off season and it'll be fascinating to see which way we go. Can we do a Geelong and remain competitive or is it time to reset this list?

Yeah it's pretty obvious teams have gone to work on our attempts to shut-down the game. Not sure why we would want to when we were clearly on top.

Also, that non 50 is the worst decision of the year. First he touched him when he wasn't in the contest. Next he ran about 8 metres past the mark. Next the umpire bloody told McStay to play on! Rushing his kick. Absolute choke job by that umpire. That is paid at every other moment in the game.

We get to a 5 goal lead and you just know what's coming. Defensive rubbish that allows the oppo to get a run on.

When you've got your foot on the other teams throat, you dont stop, you go harder and bury the campaigners.

So many 8 goal plus wins we turn into single figure victories or as we found out numerous times this year, draws and close losses. Last night burns.

Hey, careful what you wish for!

Brisbane, Sydney, even maybe Port / GWS with double chances are all hopeful barriers to Carlton getting too far!

If there’s a God, anyone but!!
Good point!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back