Prediction Round 24, 2024: Changes vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing Trew in a lot of peoples outs, only had 5 possessions so I get it. 4 clearances for him was 3rd behind Reid and Yeo by the way. Starts on the bench, gets a heap of praise in the match day thread for his second qtr. Moved onto Cripps in the second half due to [per Schofield] other mids not doing their job. Not sure Trew gets dropped but Andrew Gaff 25 disposals certainly won't be playing so... cue the melts?
I want Hall to take Trews spot in the midfield rotation.

I want Hall to take Trews spot in the midfield rotation.

He's miles behind Trew right now, as he should be considering Trew has survived 3 preseasons and 40 games at WAFL level.

Happy for Hall to play next week though, has a Geelong connection and seemed like Schoey hinted he'd be back in the side next week.

He's miles behind Trew right now, as he should be considering Trew has survived 3 preseasons and 40 games at WAFL level.

Happy for Hall to play next week though, has a Geelong connection and seemed like Schoey hinted he'd be back in the side next week.
I want Hall to be an inside mid, not playing on a wing like he has been.
Both Trew and Hall cant really play anywhere else.

I dont care if Hall is worse than Trew right now, Hall is way more likely to be a part of the future of the club than Trew.
Trew could be delisted at the end of the year and very few people would care. Hall isnt going anywhere

I want Hall to be an inside mid, not playing on a wing like he has been.
Both Trew and Hall cant really play anywhere else.

I dont care if Hall is worse than Trew right now, Hall is way more likely to be a part of the future of the club than Trew.
Trew could be delisted at the end of the year and very few people would care. Hall isnt going anywhere

We need them both in the squad and playing Hall as an inside mid right now would not be showing much by way of selection integrity. Trew is the next most likely player on our list outside of Yeo, Duggan, Kelly to step into the mix alongside Harley. There's something to be said for not being a teenager, Hall isn't really in the same conversation as Trew but Trew has moved past Luke Edwards and Culley as a prospect to retain for another season. In 12 months time he may or may not have moved past Noah Long, but I certainly hope Long comes back from the acl and fulfils the promise he showed in his first season.

We need them both in the squad and playing Hall as an inside mid right now would not be showing much by way of selection integrity. Trew is the next most likely player on our list outside of Yeo, Duggan, Kelly to step into the mix alongside Harley. There's something to be said for not being a teenager, Hall isn't really in the same conversation as Trew but Trew has moved past Luke Edwards and Culley as a prospect to retain for another season. In 12 months time he may or may not have moved past Noah Long, but I certainly hope Long comes back from the acl and fulfils the promise he showed in his first season.
We dont need them both. Trew is an ok player who tries but realistically he is unlikely to be a part of any future success. Hall at least has some chance.
Duggan, Yeo, Kelly and Reid arent going away this year, so we can only fit 1 of Trew and Hall in there too. We havent given Hall a proper go at it yet, Trew has had a few goes now and hasnt really demanded the spot.
Have to take into consideration selection integrity but also what the list manager has planned for the offseason and what exposure we want to give to which kids to set them up for next year.
Hall would get nothing out of playing on a wing.

You need to remember who we are playing next week too, Geelong.
They have the weakest inside midfield group in the comp, way weaker than ours. Its basically just Danger and a bunch of average defensive players.
Perfect time for Hall to come in and see how he goes.

LEdwards and Culley are long gone, im not even considering them as options they may as well be delisted already.

you aren't going to go to Geelong with no senior players. we will lose by 150 and Rawlinson baker et al would have gotten zero out of the game apart from a stat for games played.

Gaff has retired, Darling and Cripps are absolutely cooked due to chasing maximum games for their milestones rather than the club being smart and managing their bodies and don't need to be travelling after a 6 day break. Witherden is irrelevant as he's being delisted [hopefully] so whats the point in playing him.

That still leaves Yeo, Kelly, Duggan, Hunt, Cole, McGovern, Williams, Allen, Waterman, Edward, Petch as senior bodies, Trew, Hough, Ginbey, Reid more than up for it as is Maric despite his age. Hutchinson is in his 20's Bakers 20. Rawlinson only kid there but so what? We're playing a retirement home so a bit of youth might give us an edge.

Traditionally, in spite of what people think will happen it is almost always the case when we take a younger side than we ordinarily do we inexplicably crack in for 4 quarters, then drop them all the next week for senior players and stink it up.

We dont need them both. Trew is an ok player who tries but realistically he is unlikely to be a part of any future success. Hall at least has some chance.
Duggan, Yeo, Kelly and Reid arent going away this year, so we can only fit 1 of Trew and Hall in there too. We havent given Hall a proper go at it yet, Trew has had a few goes now and hasnt really demanded the spot.
Have to take into consideration selection integrity but also what the list manager has planned for the offseason and what exposure we want to give to which kids to set them up for next year.
Hall would get nothing out of playing on a wing.

You need to remember who we are playing next week too, Geelong.
They have the weakest inside midfield group in the comp, way weaker than ours. Its basically just Danger and a bunch of average defensive players.
Perfect time for Hall to come in and see how he goes.

LEdwards and Culley are long gone, im not even considering them as options they may as well be delisted already.

I like Hall, I hope he makes it. He's shown nothing of note since rolling his ankle and while I could see AFL level traits in moments over his past 2 games, he's not at AFL level in terms of 4 quarter effort and needs to earn his chances building at WAFL level. Trew had 5 possessions today and if he backs that up next week with the same we can have a conversation.

With Hall, let's say we bring in 3 midfielders picked in the first and second round this year and another mid in 2025. Hall making it is a bonus and if he is to make it he'll need to work hard on his game because his kicking kind of sucks and his hands from what I've seen watching him in WAFL aren't damaging enough. He seems to like to just immediately handball to the bloke standing next regardless of whether that player is free or not. Needs time to develop smarts and refine skills. Player for the future and a depth player for the next 12-24 months not someone we need to force into the 22.

Because most of our starting midfield is around 30 and if one of them goes down the only bloke who's remotely capable of playing 23 games in there in 2025 if he needed to would be Trew, obviously its worth giving him some time at the level where we can. With Hewitt out and Ginbey exploring half back, Trew represents the best value right now to be in the 22 and getting some of those midfield rotations.

I like Hall, I hope he makes it. He's shown nothing of note since rolling his ankle and while I could see AFL level traits in moments over his past 2 games, he's not at AFL level in terms of 4 quarter effort and needs to earn his chances building at WAFL level. Trew had 5 possessions today and if he backs that up next week with the same we can have a conversation.
Hes been stuck on a wing doing a role hes unfamiliar with. Its not like throwing a senior player out there who is already comfortable at the level.
Id forget about what he showed on a wing, look only at what he can do this week as an inside mid
With Hall, let's say we bring in 3 midfielders picked in the first and second round this year and another mid in 2025. Hall making it is a bonus and if he is to make it he'll need to work hard on his game because his kicking kind of sucks and his hands from what I've seen watching him in WAFL aren't damaging enough. He seems to like to just immediately handball to the bloke standing next regardless of whether that player is free or not. Needs time to develop smarts and refine skills. Player for the future and a depth player for the next 12-24 months not someone we need to force into the 22.
We would be silly to take 3 mids in the draft this year. If we take one with our first pick i wouldnt take another. Find a fringe mid from another club and go again with Hewett, Reid, and the pick 3 guy as our future midfield.
Duggan isnt that old, and Yeo/Kelly will still be there next year.
We shouldnt need Trew to play 23 games next year.
For the final game of the year against an easy midfield to matchup on id prioritise Hall over Trew every time
Because most of our starting midfield is around 30 and if one of them goes down the only bloke who's remotely capable of playing 23 games in there in 2025 if he needed to would be Trew, obviously its worth giving him some time at the level where we can. With Hewitt out and Ginbey exploring half back, Trew represents the best value right now to be in the 22 and getting some of those midfield rotations.
2 of them are about 30. Duggan is still 27

Ill say again ive seen enough of Trew to not want him to be around much next year.
If he was a defensive player then sure, but he doesnt seem at home doing a defensive job to me. Hard to fit Yeo, Reid, Hewett, pick 3, Kelly along with Trew when none of them are naturally defensively minded mids.

I maintain that Trew should be cover for when one of Yeo/Kelly/Reid is out, for midfield balance

In all likelihood though, Trew and Hall will both play and Hall will be stuck doing the gimp wing role thats killed Chessers year

Hes been stuck on a wing doing a role hes unfamiliar with. Its not like throwing a senior player out there who is already comfortable at the level.
Id forget about what he showed on a wing, look only at what he can do this week as an inside mid

We would be silly to take 3 mids in the draft this year. If we take one with our first pick i wouldnt take another. Find a fringe mid from another club and go again with Hewett, Reid, and the pick 3 guy as our future midfield.
Duggan isnt that old, and Yeo/Kelly will still be there next year.
We shouldnt need Trew to play 23 games next year.
For the final game of the year against an easy midfield to matchup on id prioritise Hall over Trew every time

2 of them are about 30. Duggan is still 27

Ill say again ive seen enough of Trew to not want him to be around much next year.
If he was a defensive player then sure, but he doesnt seem at home doing a defensive job to me. Hard to fit Yeo, Reid, Hewett, pick 3, Kelly along with Trew when none of them are naturally defensively minded mids.

I maintain that Trew should be cover for when one of Yeo/Kelly/Reid is out, for midfield balance

In all likelihood though, Trew and Hall will both play and Hall will be stuck doing the gimp wing role thats killed Chessers year

Geez Louise I thought I was obsessed.

Hall vs Trew is not an either or, we'll likely deslist Cully and Edwards this year we need at least one bloke on this list who is in his damn 20's.

A actually want to take a defender with our first pick so I can't argue there, 2 bests available mids in the teens would be my choice then speculate on a half back then Champion to round it out. Millions would disagree and want a North Melbourne style log jam of elite mids stagnating in the WAFL behind Harley for an opportunity to get into the Yeo, Duggan, Kelly rotation.

You may have seen enough of Trew, I guess close your eyes going forward cause I think Schofield is a fan and he's done enough this year to earn another contract.

Now for the love of god can we all go back to talking about the merits of paying out Jamie Cripps and quietly retiring him after he's a late out against the Cats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schofield said post game Hall is back next week. Found it interesting he signalled a specific change this far out but I suppose it was a pre-decided move regarding Gaff
Yeah the club would have told him to play Gaff for sure. Hall and Maric the unlucky ones to miss out due to that as they both played wing in the last few weeks.

In Barrass, Burgiel, Baker
Out Harley

I figure if we rest Harley so he can’t get injured in the last game of the year and play with 24 on the field rather than 22, we might limit the damage to less than a 100 points.

I would love to see Archer Reid get a debut as third tall behind Allen and Waterman.

The kid can play. Has done well in the WAFL considering the circumstances.

Normally I’d agree, but I think a debut in a 20 goal loss to Geelong in Geelong might do more harm than good.

He’d either catch a cold in our forward line, or get shifted back and given a bath by Neale or Stanley.

I'm over it all, bring in the big broom!
Can't wait for the off-season and changes and trade period.

Didn't see the WAFL game but liked the fact Chesser got in amongst it with 9 tackles and Culley 15.

Maric 6 too.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
IMG_0715.jpeg

Can’t take anything whatsoever from the WAFL game this week unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back