Autopsy Round 4, 2024 : Hawks get Pied

Remove this Banner Ad

Connor MacDonald had a poor game today, but I'm a bit miffed at people calling for him to be dropped.

His three prior games this season were good, coming off a strong season last year.

He surely deserves to be backed and developed, especially considering he has shown more than most of the emerging group of Hawks.
He is awful defensively, lets players run past him constantly.

There is also his size. All our young mids are kids - they need someone to do the battering work

15 contested possessions out of 18 touches.

He cracked in today. We need plenty of effort and heart.

When the more skilled players develop physically and can match his effort they can take over but until then Nash is playing.

He absolutely came out of the blocks in the 3rd quarter and smashed Crisp hard. Really lit a fire under us.

Also - give Mackenzie another preseason and he will be an absolute jet. He’s shown a lot this year, just needs the extra muscle and physicality.

Did anyone see Worps give the don’t argue to two Pies one after another in the 3rd? Moving Mitchell on has been the best thing we ever did in the Sam Mitchell era.

I’m not sure why there is so much criticism of C Mac. He is only a third year player.

We saw what happened in the second half when our leaders stood up. I believe CMac, Weddle and Ramsden have the most upside of all the young players on our list. We need to get them to 50 games plus.
and through a 2 possession, zero tackle first half? He has talent, but is lazy and he almost looks scared of contact sometimes. Go to the 2's and get the fight back.

Has been awesome this year. I’m not even having heart palpitations when he has the ball anymore.
Was just saying before, I can’t remember a Frosty howler in the last four weeks (skill error, bad decision, careless free kick). Been immense. Really happy for him.

It’s all he does, can’t believe the maggot umpires don’t see it, or refuse to see it. Take your pick which one.
It’s a pity Sicily didn’t smash every rib on him when he put the knee into him in the marking contest.
What a shit thing to say about a great servant of our club.

Good fightback but ultimately you don't have to come back if you don't let yourself get that far behind.

Hope Newc's form has turned a corner here because we look so much better when the ball is in his hands (that kick across ground an exception).

I haven't watched the replay yet, but was the kick you mentioned in the 2nd quarter?

Granted I was up the other end of the ground, so my eyes may have decieved me, but there was one where I thought he deliberately kicking it into the ground to avoid kicking it straight down the opposition throats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

15 contested possessions out of 18 touches.

He cracked in today. We need plenty of effort and heart.

When the more skilled players develop physically and can match his effort they can take over but until then Nash is playing.

He absolutely came out of the blocks in the 3rd quarter and smashed Crisp hard. Really lit a fire under us.
He was poor along with the rest of the crew in that first half. There was one effort where he was bumped off resulting in a Pies goal and he walked back to the middle upset. Since that point he was a changed man and started attacking the ball ferociously. Now we need someone to bump him in the first quarter next game.

Biggest difference Dimma brought to the forward line was leadership.

You see it all the time in the great teams. They have 5-6 guys who are constantly talking and directing players on the field.

It's hard to lead when you're out of form as you're too busy trying to get a kick. Lewis and Breust had been lacking on that front the past few weeks.

Enter Dimma and our dynamic changes.
Lewis should be shown a replay of Hardwick's game of how a forward should play. Constant movement allowed him to get space and actual leading for the ball instead of stand and wrestle the whole time

The Tom Mitchell hate from some is laughable

Incredible player before the leg break.

Moving him on was the best thing for our club at the time but I was happy for him to taste success.

I liked Newk and Tom going at each other all day. Two bulls.

Newk hoisted the team on his shoulders and almost won it for them. Hawks a 5-7 goal better side when he's at the top of his game, as he was today. When he plays like this, the partnership he forms with Day wins more games than not.
Amon was fabulous, also at his best and a welcome return to top form.
Sicily another to return to his best.
Hardwick should stay up forward, Mitchell can do his job down back and young Seamus gave the Norm Smith medallist a bath today.
Meek strong in the ruck, some great clearances, and is grabbing his opportunity with both hands. Needs to pluck those contested marks, and he will then become a serious asset for the team. Ramsden showed promise, but has a long way to go. The Meek-Chol combination seems our best, with two of the three big men up forward, we are just too slow, and the Pies waltzed it out of there far too easily.
Good all-round effort, but you'd have to say that the Pies are just travelling at the moment. If we have any serious aspirations of rising out of the bottom three, next weeks game against Gold Coast will give us a better indication if such a rise is possible.

Impey had a shocker early but worked his way into the game.

He hasn't had a great year so far. Almost seems like Frost and Impey have swapped brains this season.

He must be looking over his shoulder with CJ on the way back.

Good fightback but ultimately you don't have to come back if you don't let yourself get that far behind.

Hope Newc's form has turned a corner here because we look so much better when the ball is in his hands (that kick across ground an exception).
We should not give them such a start

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 4, 2024 : Hawks get Pied

Remove this Banner Ad

Back