Draft Profile SA Draft prospects 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you after a list of the best u18 boys, eligible for the 2024 draft, just from SA? I have followed it a bit the last few years.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, including a few from the 18's comp who may be overagers if they are worthy. If you have them in the SANFL 18's? I don't know a lot about the competition but it seems to me that it deserves more attention and focus.

Yeah, including a few from the 18's comp who may be overagers if they are worthy. If you have them in the SANFL 18's? I don't know a lot about the competition but it seems to me that it deserves more attention and focus.
I'd love to watch more SANFL u18's but unfortunately its the only elite junior comp behind a paywall. I imagine that plays a role in the lack of attention.

I'd love to see an SA 2024 draft top 50 or maybe a top 30 at this stage of the season. I know it's a bit of a task but SA always interests me.
I was hoping to put some time into this but times up, so going to wing it instead.
This list is for SA boys eligible this year, and picked as if I was picking for an afl spot now.
Draper
B Campo
Herbert
L Campo
Clarke
Hargraves
Welsh
Barrett
Montgomery
West
Hasting
Dodson
Nichols
Newton
Delmenico
Bradley
Cumming
Dodd
Burgoyne
Atkinson
Burbridge
Thoughts SA followers?

I was hoping to put some time into this but times up, so going to wing it instead.
This list is for SA boys eligible this year, and picked as if I was picking for an afl spot now.
Draper
B Campo
Herbert
L Campo
Clarke
Hargraves
Welsh
Barrett
Montgomery
West
Hasting
Dodson
Nichols
Newton
Delmenico
Bradley
Cumming
Dodd
Burgoyne
Atkinson
Burbridge
Thoughts SA followers?

Good list mate.

Draper
B Campo
Herbert
L Campo
Clarke
Hargraves
Welsh
Barrett
Montgomery
West
Hasting
Dodson
Nichols
Newton
Delmenico
Bradley
Cumming
Dodd
Burgoyne
Atkinson
Burbridge
Thoughts SA followers?
If Dodson chooses AFL I think he's every chance to be the 2nd SA draftee to be taken. He'd certainly be the 2nd SA player I'd take for the Crows.

Jay Polkinghorne would make my list also.

Draper
B Campo
Herbert
L Campo
Clarke
Hargraves
Welsh
Barrett
Montgomery
West
Hasting
Dodson
Nichols
Newton
Delmenico
Bradley
Cumming
Dodd
Burgoyne
Atkinson
Burbridge
Thoughts SA followers?
Fom over the far far west of SA (Penong) and had injury issues but when fit a very special talent

If Dodson chooses AFL I think he's every chance to be the 2nd SA draftee to be taken. He'd certainly be the 2nd SA player I'd take for the Crows.

Dodson for sure, he’d be crazy to choose footy over basketball if it is on offer. But would be a good project ruckman for any club, particularly the crows. Needs a good mentor for position around the ground. 32 today is a nice day out, albeit against a banged up opponent. If I was picking an u18 side, he is 2nd pick. If I was picking to play AFL game tomorrow….
Polky is interesting, unfortunately hasn’t played when Ive watched Norwood. Most of the vision I’ve seen of him is all inside the 50 which doesn’t translate well into AFL. Could be the type to kick 100 in country footy or go well in SANFL. Played 3 reserves games for 4,5 and 8 disposals… although does regularly kick goals. I would need to see him live. Thanks for your input👍

Last edited:

Polkinghorne has plenty going for him in terms of size and traits. Injuries maybe because of a growth spurt that some of the lads face around this age and I'm not sure if he's got muscular injuries or something else.

But definitely somehow I'd 100% draft with a late pick or rookie.

Draper
B Campo
Herbert
L Campo
Clarke
Hargraves
Welsh
Barrett
Montgomery
West
Hasting
Dodson
Nichols
Newton
Delmenico
Bradley
Cumming
Dodd
Burgoyne
Atkinson
Burbridge
Thoughts SA followers?
No Ned Bowman ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Ned Bowman ?
Somewhere In the next bracket. Was bottom 5 for all stats for the champs. Problem with Bowman, he’s too big to be a small forward (although he is quick) and I’m not sure that he’s a high flying big forward even tho he took a huge hanger in SANFL 18s. You see other forwards taking more marks, crashing packs to bring ball to ground. All the physical traits are there for him. I wonder if he’d be better as a half back, I’m not knocking the kid, he seems to have a decent crack each week and did kick a couple nice goals.

Anyone with info on how Ned Atkinson is doing? Friend of mine knows his dad, former (5 game!) Crow Brodie Atkinson, who seemed to think he is a lock to get drafted this year.

Post Champs look at the SA kids? Not a great month for the SA team, going 1-3 overall. But a few players stood up, and another handful look likely to go in the mid to late rounds...

1. Sid Draper

Still the top prospect out of SA on the back of a solid Champs. Probably didn't do enough to really lay a claim to the #1 spot, but well in the top 10 mix. And he's already gone back to the seniors in the SANFL this past weekend and arguably had his best performance yet, so if his Champs didn't do it for you then maybe check out some South Adelaide this year.

2. Alex Dodson

There was a lot of optimism around him heading into the Champs, and he's set himself apart from the others rucks in the draft to be the clear #1 in my opinion. Not sure he's made the call between AFL and basketball yet, but his ground work and ball winning is as good as any ruck from the last few years.

3. Angus Clarke

I've been pretty high on Clarke, it may seem a surprise to have him rated here amongst the SA kids. But I don't understand why he's not being spoken about - I've seen top 50's without him in it, which just seems crazy to me. I think his kicking is as good as anyone in the draft and he got better with every game. Final game against Metro was excellent, he really backed himself in with his run.

4. Ben Camporeale

SA's most consistent player across all four games, averaged in the high 20's for disposals and did a lot of the contested stuff. I imagine Carlton will be looking at a late first rounder, early second if they're lucky. He's a good size, wins his own ball and runs hard - just lacks a little something with his disposal and general hurt factor. But should be a pretty safe pick.

5. Charlie Nicholls

His best game was probably the trial against the U20 team, didn't quite put it together at the Champs but showed enough signs that I think he can be considered a safe bet to be drafted. 197cm and a strong mark with versatility to play at both ends, he'll be one of a handful of talls coming into the second round mix on potential.

6. Tyler Welsh

I probably didn't quite share the first round hype others had coming into the season, Welsh had two good games and two quiet games the Champs. He leads and marks strongly, but struggled to get involved in the games at times. I'd have liked to see him get up the ground more, because he's actually a good mover and a nice kick. Don't think the SA coaches did him many favours, but I do think there's a question on what role he plays at his size.

7. Ned Bowman

A fairly quiet Champs for Bowman, I think a lot of clubs would have had him on the radar going in and left wanting to see more - but I still think he's the type of player who could push the second round on athleticism and potential. A few high flying games for the medium forward back in the SANFL will convince enough scouts of his ability.

8. Lucas Camporeale

I find Lucas the more interesting of the Carlton F/S twins, if I could only have one then I would probably overlook Ben in favour of Lucas - even though Lucas is looking likely to go perhaps a round later. I think he might have more scope for improvement, and I just naturally find the more outside players more appealing as prospects. He runs hard, is a natural ball winner and looks the part of a modern wing. If anything, I think he should back his disposal in more and not play it too safe.

I'm going to stop the rankings there, because from here there's a handful of similar players all in the mix - Jacob Newton, Kade Herbert, Benny Barrett, Phoenix Hargrave, Evan Bradley. A group of really good small mids, small forwards, flankers. Whatever you want them to be. Hargrave and Herbert are probably the two most accomplished of the group, perhaps deserve their own ranking. But it's the other 3 that I'd be taking personally, Newton as the hard working defensive forward and Barrett and Bradley for the x factor.
Pretty much agree with all of these rankings

Agree on what you said re the camporeale’s too , I think Lucas is more interesting as a role player in that outside role at afl level , Ben might do their head in with his ball use . I’d have him further back in rankings but you basically said that

Demenico was one I was hoping to see do more but I’d say he will struggle to get drafted now

Bowman had enough wow moments to get interest from late 2nd round as you say … even though he didn’t quite hit the heights consistently , he seemed to get better the more exposure he had

I’ve got a feeling the 2025 mid season draft could throw up a few of them that don’t get drafted this year and will be worth following ( for a change )

Draper
B Campo
Herbert
L Campo
Clarke
Hargraves
Welsh
Barrett
Montgomery
West
Hasting
Dodson
Nichols
Newton
Delmenico
Bradley
Cumming
Dodd
Burgoyne
Atkinson
Burbridge
Thoughts SA followers?
You talking Sam Cumming ? He’s next years draft and a decent chance to go top 20 IMO

Draper, Clarke and Dodson are the only ones I’m confident go before Bowman.
Sorry, I can’t agree on Bowman, being a deep draft this year, I don’t know if clubs will use up a pick based on potential, get him as a rookie pick and time to develop, sure he has moments but give me a consistent performer anytime. Would rate Hargraves, Campo’s, Herbert, Newton, Nichols and Welsh before him.

Sorry, I can’t agree on Bowman, being a deep draft this year, I don’t know if clubs will use up a pick based on potential, get him as a rookie pick and time to develop, sure he has moments but give me a consistent performer anytime. Would rate Hargraves, Campo’s, Herbert, Newton, Nichols and Welsh before him.

I’d probably argue the exact opposite.

In a deep draft, a team might be more likely to go for a high upside potential pick - knowing a more solid, safer guy could be had later on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Profile SA Draft prospects 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back