Injury SACK DOCTORS 1 - CTE

Remove this Banner Ad

He was only placed in the concussion protocol on Monday like Aliir - essentially at the behest of the AFL.

I mean in action. What would have happened differently?
Not much, if anything, from what I can tell.

I mean in action. What would have happened differently?
Not much, if anything, from what I can tell.

Yeah I doubt much would have changed in terms of management. My bigger concern is that they tried to circumvent the system by labelling it a migraine rather than a concussion which was a (imo) clandestine attempt to keep Jones available for next week's game.

Yeah I doubt much would have changed in terms of management. My bigger concern is that they tried to circumvent the system by labelling it a migraine rather than a concussion which was a (imo) clandestine attempt to keep Jones available for next week's game.
Or we could've sent him out to play after 15 minutes. Like the Eagles did with Jeremy McGovern. Only to put him into concussion protocols the following Tuesday.

Why does Mark Fisher still have a job?
That’s the $64000 question. When supporters at the game can see Aliir wasn’t right there is absolutely no excuse that should allow him to stay.
This whole thing reeks of the old “easier to ask forgiveness than permission”
I
I thought it was because he passed the SCAT5 test, but still had a headache so that was the actual reason he was subbed. Rational caution.

There's no way he was going to be cleared to play against Geelong.
Not even we are that stupid.
No way does anyone with a migraine sit and watch a game with lights and noise. True Migraines have people flat on their back in a dark room
I can't see it being a massive fine, Port owe the AFL, they'd be fining themselves.
What do you think they’ll do then?

No way does anyone with a migraine sit and watch a game with lights and noise. True Migraines have people flat on their back in a dark room

There's a huge spectrum of both migraine symptoms and severity. I guess your True Migraines (tm) fit at the extreme end.

All this drivel talk about how there’s more to life than footy and we aspire to be good humans etc and yet we do crap like this.

The club should absolutely be held accountable, particularly in Aliir’s case.

Players are all happy to take the half million to million dollar annual salary. The grievances only start when when the cash flow tap is turned off after they've retired.

Anyone that's concerned about their health probably shouldn't play a brutal sport like AFL. Concussions only a small part of the overall damage they do to their bodies.

Cassie Burton, the partner of former Port utility Sam Mayes, said the current spotlight on Port's concussion situation "doesn't surprise me" and it made her "sick". "Sam's played concussed after they strapped his head and sent him back on the field," Burton wrote on Twitter, accompanied with a picture of Mayes' head bandaged during his AFL career.
"He's also pulled himself out of the AFL side as he wasn't feeling right from a separate head knock. It's scary to witness."
It is understood Mayes was sent back out on the ground in a SANFL semi-final playing for Port in 2019 after a head knock. He later took himself to the bench because he was feeling unwell. Mayes later had no recollection of Port's thrilling four-point victory after the match, which put the club into a grand final. In 2021, the former Brisbane Lions player was named in Port's AFL team despite having a head knock playing in the reserves a week earlier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cassie Burton, the partner of former Port utility Sam Mayes, said the current spotlight on Port's concussion situation "doesn't surprise me" and it made her "sick". "Sam's played concussed after they strapped his head and sent him back on the field," Burton wrote on Twitter, accompanied with a picture of Mayes' head bandaged during his AFL career.
"He's also pulled himself out of the AFL side as he wasn't feeling right from a separate head knock. It's scary to witness."
It is understood Mayes was sent back out on the ground in a SANFL semi-final playing for Port in 2019 after a head knock. He later took himself to the bench because he was feeling unwell. Mayes later had no recollection of Port's thrilling four-point victory after the match, which put the club into a grand final. In 2021, the former Brisbane Lions player was named in Port's AFL team despite having a head knock playing in the reserves a week earlier.

She didn't complain when Sam was bringing in the big bucks. Typical.

Can we please just be a little bit more careful re some of the comments about individuals? I get that this is a highly charged issue but personal attacks on the club doctor and his credentials are over the top as are comments with no evidence regarding Hinkley's involvement in what took place.

Where not unique there's going to be a million of these stories come out over time from all clubs, many historical but lots of recent stuff to. AFL and the clubs are going to be hit very hard in litigation costs.

haha. Port needs to be punished for sending players like Mayes and Ebert back out concussed but its courageous for Victorian clubs and players like Selwood.

Whatever, throw the book. Place is basically dead anyways

s**t take. If there’s ever a time to have empathy for the players, it’s now. There’s a pattern of breaching duty of care here.

It's true. They only complain after the mega dollars dry up. As for Sam Mayes she doesn't know whether he was concussed.

haha. Port needs to be punished for sending players like Mayes and Ebert back out concussed but its courageous for Victorian clubs and players like Selwood.

Whatever, throw the book. Place is basically dead anyways

It'll blow over in a week or so. The AFL will update their concussion policy...perhaps bring in own independent doctors for games, port will be fined for negligence and the social media goldfish hive will move on.

What a shock, the last picked guy doesn’t want to rock the boat and put his career in jeopardy.

Well if he genuinely felt that AFL was a danger to his health, he's pretty shallow if he prioritises cash over his health.

It's a barbaric sport, nobody should play it if they're concerned about their health.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury SACK DOCTORS 1 - CTE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back