Preview Saints vs Suns - Sat 1:40pm Metricon

Pick the margin?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did not question that. However, who would you rather Wright or Billings?
You posited that this may have been Wright's last match for our club.
I love the fact that we are not writing anyone off as a lost cause. The players on our list are our "product", in a way. We value them and develop them to become the best that they can be. Wright and Delaney are the latest examples of that, Acres, Minchington and Lee are further examples. These guys are gaining exposure in the big time because they proved themselves in the "B" grade earning a spot relinquished by another. Players like Sinclair and Lonie are finding that once they let their spot slip through their fingers it is hard to reclaim it. Some of the spots become available through injury, other times it is form.

Billings is a talent. His work makes our team better. His inside 50's are sorely missed but we have shown we can win without him. If he is available, is he an automatic inclusion? Maybe. The mindset being created by Richardson is one of earning and holding your spot. You don't want to make exceptions to the rule, ...but there are always exceptions.

I'd love to see Wright force his way back in (if he gets dropped). He brings speed, quick reflexes, good decision making and a manic pressure to our forward line that can help keep the ball there where we can do the most damage with it.

I would like to see Lee get his spot back. He was superb v Carlton before the injury, only after which did his opponent (Everitt) do anything of note. He has a future with us. So does Minchington - who is getting better with exposure to the top level and getting fitter all the time. I reckon Wright has it too - qualities that we want. He is not the whole package, but very few players are. We'll just have to learn how to utilise those qualities without allowing his faults (kicking) to diminish his contribution.

Bit of a worry game for me being interstate. Need to bring the same intensity we had against geelong and Carlton, even GAJ would have a hard time getting by that amount of pressure.

I think we will see a lot more of reiwoldt floating back when the momentum shifts against us. He stemmed the bleeding of goals against the cats until our mids could regroup and sort their shit out. Richo shouldn't hesitate to pull that trigger as often as needed.

Our depleted backline is actually handing things quite well considering, Gilbert in the backline for the second straight game, hopefully he stays there for good. If we can't kick out, he's usually the one breaking lines with his run.

If our mids are well on top we could win decently. if it's even in the midfield its gonna be another nail biter.

Good conditions day game should hold us in good stead.
Peter Wright match up is a headache already with Lynch playing brilliantly Delaney will have to go to him.
Leaves Wright at 200 with someone a head shorter than him in Gilbert/Lee/Robbo, pressure the key to that one.
Our forwards though will create more manic than theres
The same scenario as occurred against Geelong. Delaney on Hawkins then undersize on Stanley/Smith.

Didn't hurt us too much and won't this time because none of Stanley/Smith/Wright are real "clunking" forward pack mark threats at this time.

Feeling like a danger game.

Need to bring the intensity from the last two games and go hard. Another quick start would have GC reeling
Agree. This is exactly the type of game we've hostorically dropped. Straight after a huge win and we underestimate the lesser opponent at our peril.

Bring the A game boys!

I love the fact that we are not writing anyone off as a lost cause. The players on our list are our "product", in a way. We value them and develop them to become the best that they can be. Wright and Delaney are the latest examples of that, Acres, Minchington and Lee are further examples. These guys are gaining exposure in the big time because they proved themselves in the "B" grade earning a spot relinquished by another. Players like Sinclair and Lonie are finding that once they let their spot slip through their fingers it is hard to reclaim it. Some of the spots become available through injury, other times it is form.

Billings is a talent. His work makes our team better. His inside 50's are sorely missed but we have shown we can win without him. If he is available, is he an automatic inclusion? Maybe. The mindset being created by Richardson is one of earning and holding your spot. You don't want to make exceptions to the rule, ...but there are always exceptions.

I'd love to see Wright force his way back in (if he gets dropped). He brings speed, quick reflexes, good decision making and a manic pressure to our forward line that can help keep the ball there where we can do the most damage with it.

I would like to see Lee get his spot back. He was superb v Carlton before the injury, only after which did his opponent (Everitt) do anything of note. He has a future with us. So does Minchington - who is getting better with exposure to the top level and getting fitter all the time. I reckon Wright has it too - qualities that we want. He is not the whole package, but very few players are. We'll just have to learn how to utilise those qualities without allowing his faults (kicking) to diminish his contribution.

Correct thats what I said and I stand by that. I value every single player on the STK list don't get me wrong but I call it as I see it. With Deleany he is in the side because Dempster, Fisher and Carlisle are all out, he is our 4th ranked defender however, I like what Deleany has done effectively Hawkins only kicked two goals on him and Gilbert made an error and gifted him his first goal if my memory is correct.
Yeah agree and I never doubted or have criticism over Acres and Minchington, Minchy didn't get a lot of the footy but he made every touch count and laid a few tackles and had good run and carry, Acres the same he is a work in progress and he'll get there eventually.

I think Billings is an automatic inclusion, he played in the VFL a couple weeks ago and was among the best and as I said he is arguably our brightest young player and he is better being out on the ground than playing for Sandy especially because he has missed games due to injury over the past couple years which may have slightly delayed development and obviously exposure.

And I agree with Lee I mentioned that because Deleany will have to play on big Lynchy and Lee probably two metre Peter.

Anyway, from what I've seen of Wright I don't know if he'll be at the club is 2017, sorry if have sounded harsh in my assessment but it is a cut throat business and always will be.
I stand by what I said maybe it won't be his last game but his time is ticking away, I say Billings (if fit) in for Wright.

To be honest,I'm happy for Billings to stay in the 2s until he absolutely tears a game apart. He wont have played a game for 3 weeks at any level going into this game against the Suns, so i'd be keen to see him have another run at Sandy before even thinking of bringing him back into the seniors.

If Wright & Armitage are injured, then the inclusions id like us to go with would be McKenzie - play him as the high-pressure tagging small forward (Wright's spot) - & Sinclair for Armo

Probably makes sense for JB to come back via the Vfl seeing as he hasn't played but I think he could come straight back in depending on who goes out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. This is exactly the type of game we've hostorically dropped. Straight after a huge win and we underestimate the lesser opponent at our peril.

Bring the A game boys!

I think they just got a huge lesson from Geelong in what happens when you underestimate your "lesser" opposition.
After the game we just played one would really hope that they are going to be so full of self belief that they are going to want to replicate it.
At least I hope so.... Over to you Richo and coaches, balls in your court.

Billings played in the backline for sandy.. don't think his future is there for seniors, played there to get some accountability and learn defence.

His recall to the seniors won't be because he dominates with touches off half back, obvious to coaches he finds it and delivers it well.. will be picked when they think he's toughened up and learnt his lesson. the point is, hard to tell when he will be picked because he may have shown this in training etc.. my guess is if fit he plays this week, can't afford to have talent like him not in the team when they are fit

With the success against the Cats, comes the monkey on our backs of "something to lose". If we had lost, even by 1 point, it was season over, and let's just concentrate on continuing the (majority of) good performances. But now there's a scent, however ephemeral, of a top 8 finish and the prize of at least one finals game under the young brigades' belts. With that comes a bout of nerves for the supporters.

If we had lost last week, I'd be expecting to bounce back against the Suns. Now suddenly I'm hoping instead. I expect a great game. I don't expect the boys to slack off.

Can't wait to see Ross on GAJ as well :)

But now there's a scent, however ephemeral, of a top 8 finish and the prize of at least one finals game under the young brigades' belts. With that comes a bout of nerves for the supporters.
My nerves about finals is it could be in Perth or Adelaide if we manage to get there. Just doesn't sit right in my mind after the last games there.

Well said - a premiership is won by your bottom 6 not your top 6. The current draft model does not allow for 22 champions, (exepct for GWS which is why I am so angry at the AFL for creating that behemoth and the dill of dills the idiot of all idiots Mr Andrew Demetriou).

If Minch, Lee and Wright are our bottom 6 then happy days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back