Mega Thread The Western Bulldogs - The Sack Macca saga

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My other fear is that Cam Mooney stated B-mac had 'softened" since his Geelong days. What does that say about our group?

Different stages. Geelong were front runners for the flag each year. Bulldogs are bottom 8. He could not possibly coach both the teams the same. You can't constantly be hard on a team that doesn't win much like you can when say Geelong 2010 lost an important game.

He would have softened surely.

Do you think Rodney Eade was a 'nice guy'?
Get off it and move forward. What has happened has happened.

That's exactly my point.

Eade was as a hard a bastard as you'll find but they all worked under him. But no, Macca was a big meanie and we don't like him.

Our senior players are gutless.

And forgive me for having not 'moved on" three hours after we lost our coach because our senior players are spineless and gutless.

I still can't believe the McCartney love and player hate.

The guy failed hard off the field and his on field stuff let a lot to be deserved too. Maybe his plan for the club was a good one, I certainly liked his stoic approach but he turned out to be a terrible person to be the face of it.

Maybe the players want to succeed so badly and their grievances with the coach are valid. Have some of you considered that?

And as for the senior players being soft - these are the same seniors players who thrived under the notoriously hard task master Rodney 'Rocket 'Eade.

Maybe instead of appointing an introvert like Griffen as the captain McCartney should have gone with somebody else - or just have kept Boyd for another year or 2 as captain until he retired. Who's fault is making Griff the captain? Im sure he didn't appoint himself just as I'm sure he wasn't alone in having problems with McCartney.

Last edited:
Different stages. Geelong were front runners for the flag each year. Bulldogs are bottom 8. He could not possibly coach both the teams the same. You can't constantly be hard on a team that doesn't win much like you can when say Geelong 2010 lost an important game.
McCartney was an assistant coach at Geelong from 2000 to 2010. They were not the front runners for the flag in each of those 10 years - Bomber was almost sacked halfway through for underperformance.

People have been drinking the kool-aid for so long now that they've gone all cult of Hird. The guy failed hard off the field and his on field stuff let a lot to be deserved too. Maybe his plan for the club was a good one, I certainly liked his stoic approach but he turned out to be a terrible person to be the face of it.

Maybe the players want to succeed so badly and their grievances with the coach are valid. Have some of you considered that?

And as for the senior players being soft - these are the same seniors players who thrived under the notoriously hard task master Rodney 'Rocket 'Eade.

Maybe instead of appointing an introvert like Griffen as the captain McCartney should have gone with somebody else - or just have kept Boyd for another year or 2 as captain until he retired. Who's fault is making Griff the captain? Im sure he didn't appoint himself just as I'm sure he wasn't alone in having problems with McCartney.
For me, i wasn't pro-Macca at all. He had very visible deficiencies, but the same group that sacked him (lets not kid ourselves that the resignation was his decision) declared he was absolutely the right man for the job 24 hours ago and did a full review a couple of weeks ago. And then go and completely contradict themselves. This episode has revealed we have no leadership at the club at all

People have been drinking the kool-aid for so long now that they've gone all cult of Hird.
Instant loss of credibility having to throw this sort of crap about.

Different posters posted details of the rift yesterday between younger and older players and many of us are taking that into account; it's not a "blind belief" in B-mac as the greatest coach that ever lived. As stated many times, on balance keeping the coach was a preferred option to sacking (or pushing) the coach, not the ideal option.

At the end of the day it doesnt matter, whats done is done..

McCartney couldnt coach effectively.
Griffen clearly doesnt want to be at our club.

McCartney is moving on, so is Griffen.. Best possible outcome both ways

Plus.. There is no way in hell I want Griffen at the club in the ear of our young guns telling them they'll be better off elsewhere

For me, i wasn't pro-Macca at all. He had very visible deficiencies, but the same group that sacked him (lets not kid ourselves that the resignation was his decision) declared he was absolutely the right man for the job 24 hours ago and did a full review a couple of weeks ago. And then go and completely contradict themselves. This episode has revealed we have no leadership at the club at all

Agree it was handled badly with the statement about Griffen yesterday. Maybe when Griffen did have that meeting with Garlic, Gordon and McCartney Griffen just thought to himself '**** these guys have no idea, I'm just going to nod along to this garbage and then get the **** outta here'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree it was handled badly with the statement about Griffen yesterday. Maybe when Griffen did have that meeting with Garlic, Gordon and McCartney Griffen just thought to himself '**** these guys have no idea, I'm just going to nod along to this garbage and then get the **** outta here'

Bit hard to play along when he "allegedly" knew that he'd been talking to GWS about a move for 6 months..

Callan Ward v2.0

Instant loss of credibility having to throw this sort of crap about.

Different posters posted details of the rift yesterday between younger and older players and many of us are taking that into account; it's not a "blind belief" in B-mac as the greatest coach that ever lived. As stated many times, on balance keeping the coach was a preferred option to sacking (or pushing) the coach, not the ideal option.

I've edited it out for you so that my points aren't lost on a technicality.

Bring back Smorgon!!

I do know Jones was unhappy with how harsh the feedback was during the year - not a one off, multiple occasions.
Perhaps it's the way feedback was delivered to the wider group? The club has all but admitted B-Mac went hard at the end of season.

Going hard is OK but to get it to this point was it
- Abusive ?
- Unwarranted ?
- Untruthful ?
- Deceitful ?

Or hard but fair ?

That's exactly my point.

Eade was as a hard a bastard as you'll find but they all worked under him. But no, Macca was a big meanie and we don't like him.

And forgive me for having not 'moved on" three hours after we lost our coach because our senior players are spineless and gutless.
Let's hope the young pups aren't scarred and disillusioned by this. There's too much quality there to lose.

Can we please clear up a few things.

The coach resigned. He wasn't pushed out by the board or the fans,

Yes, he resigned. After being pushed out by the players,

and you can argue to the cows come home how much the players had an impact.

A huge impact. 100% impact

He coached teams that finished fourth last, fourth last and fifth last - fact.

Not relevant as to why he resigned.

Multiple players didn't want to play under him. Fact.

Yes, because they are spineless.

The events of the last few days/weeks showed that he was a poor man manager. Fact.

It showed that our senior players cracked it because their egos had been dented by McCartney telling them home truths.

The last three years showed he was a poor tactical coach. Fact.

Not relevant as to why he has resigned.

I seriously can't see how you guys can defend a bloke who chose of his own accord to leave the club, after it was in his tenure that there were rifts in the players, players quitting, poor tactical coaching, and that "the players controlled them". Well, the players are the ones who, well, play, so why shouldn't they have a say?

The players do and did get a say.

Griffen's concerns were listened to and dealt with.

It still wasn't enough for him and for other players.

McCartney has been knifed by the players.

The blame lies fairly and squarely at the players.

Those blaming the board or thinking they should have done more are kidding themselves. They addressed the players/Griffen's issues. Griffen was happy. But again apparently it was not enough. The Board did not force Macca out - he resigned because they still weren't happy with him even after he had agreed to work on his own improvement and player relationships.

The players are gutless.

Has anything else come to light today, about the whole situation?

The single positive feeling I have in this all is that if its true Gordon and co spoke with Moz, Rough and Stringer and then still came to this conclusion. Maybe it wasn't as rosy with the young players as we first though. But that might just be those boys, its not exactly a huge sample size especially when the majority of the players are overseas FFS, would they have a clue what is going on? Spin your bullshit however you like PG but right now please don't try to say we are still a destination club, who the **** would want to come here right now lol. Next years a different story but ehh.

That's exactly my point.

You do realise this is a contradictory position. It must have been more than Macca being a big meanie. And this is something we may never find out.

Just suggesting we should. Club needs us more than ever and you're a great supporter Leon, one I've agreed with far more than I haven't. We need to band together at a time like this. Our club is fractured enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back