VFL VFL round 15 v Frankston. Sunday July 7 1:05pm @ Kinetic stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Just think you want to try and set players up for sucess with their careers. Neither Carmy or Bytel have the tools to be good wingers at afl level

Neither do the other kids they’ve rotated through there. Harrison was the pick of them at VFL level but even he has struggled the last couple of games at senior level since being given wing rotations. It is a tough position to play but if you don’t give guys the opportunity then you’ll never identify those that can potentially do it. VFL the ideal place to experiment.

How desperate do you need to be in running down Hine to blame Henry’s move on him and not list him as a successful pick. I’ll leave it there.
Agree here. Henry had the talent to play AFL and will have a successful career. He may even go higher in a retrosepctive redraft than what we took him for. However, he couldn't cope with a 60 minute car ride. And that's where recruiting can be a difficult game. Do you miss out on talent or do you hope that your system is good enough they choose to commit to it?

Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I know a few VFL listers on our list and not one player has anything positive to say about him - arrogant, selfish, narcissist, didn't play for the team so maybe we didn't do our homework. But talent alone, we took a good player who'll have a long career.

2020 draft misses so far are McMahon and Chugg, although at least McMahon is having a solid VFL season and probably could have debuted by now if he remained. Macrae, Poulter and McInnes still young and developing, even if that's been slower. Honestly, Fin's far from the most concerning player on the list. McCreery and Ginnivan premiership players, obviously hits, even if I don't like Ginni.

How desperate do you need to be in running down Hine to blame Henry’s move on him and not list him as a successful pick. I’ll leave it there.
Not running down hine at all. Just listed the last 3 drafts where we do t have a great deal to show for it. You have just ran with the awesome trading of Ollie who doesn’t even play for us.

Agree here. Henry had the talent to play AFL and will have a successful career. He may even go higher in a retrosepctive redraft than what we took him for. However, he couldn't cope with a 60 minute car ride. And that's where recruiting can be a difficult game. Do you miss out on talent or do you hope that your system is good enough they choose to commit to it?

I know a few VFL listers on our list and not one player has anything positive to say about him - arrogant, selfish, narcissist, didn't play for the team so maybe we didn't do our homework. But talent alone, we took a good player who'll have a long career.

2020 draft misses so far are McMahon and Chugg, although at least McMahon is having a solid VFL season and probably could have debuted by now if he remained. Macrae, Poulter and McInnes still young and developing, even if that's been slower. Honestly, Fin's far from the most concerning player on the list. McCreery and Ginnivan premiership players, obviously hits, even if I don't like Ginni.

It feels like an over correct in our drafting symbolised by Macrae and Allan.

Macrae was the old football department - smart player without the tools - ala Bianco, Phillips, etc. To the recent batch of guys with the tools, who don't know how to use them.

He's almost 27, you do wonder if a fresh change would be better for his opportunities.
Seemed to have stagnated this year with us
Hopefully he has qualified in a trade/profession. Can set himself up with his standing as a footballer in a community.

He's almost 27, you do wonder if a fresh change would be better for his opportunities.
Seemed to have stagnated this year with us

Hopefully last weekend was all about slaying the demons of his showboating incident last year. His game hasn’t been the same since that.

As long as he’s still on a list he’s a chance.

There’s a point where reward outweighs risk. I suspect that’s why Henry lasted until our pick. At 17 and with another couple of selections soon after it was worth the risk.

Sliding 25 back a couple of times gave us a handful of extra points for Daicos, but we could have done the same with 31 instead where we went for need and drafted McMahon. The real mistake with the Poulter and McMahon selections though was trading a future first for a couple of picks in the 20s. We also wanted a bid on McInnes before trading that future first.

Last edited:
There’s a point where reward outweighs risk. I suspect that’s why Henry lasted until our pick. At 17 and with another couple of selections soon after it was worth the risk.

Sliding 25 back a couple of times gave us a handful of extra points for Daicos, but we could have done the same with 31 instead where we went for need and drafted McMahon. The real mistake with the Poulter and McMahon selections though was trading a future first for a couple of picks in the 20s. We also wanted a bid on McInnes before trading that future first.
Such a weird decision making that trade, the depth in that draft was minimal due to covid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back