Autopsy Wheels falling off? 2 point loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

4th?

That nobody seemed interested in going anywhere near Liam Henry. For the whole damn game.
It's not like it wouldn't have been obvious...

We need to be careful of Liam Henry. He can be crafty and very dangerous.

I think part of the problem - key word being 'part'; I'm not laying it all at his feet - is Jordon's negating roles haven't been all that effective the last few weeks, if we've even implemented them at all. It's allowing players to have some really big, almost uncharacteristically big, games against us.

Liam Henry had 20 touches yesterday, +6 on his season average. Phillipou had 26 yesterday, +14 on his season average. Jeremy Sharp from Freo had 25 against us, +8 on his season average.

These are probably the types of wingman/flanker/outside types Jordon would usually have a hand in shutting down. If you're letting the opposition bring 2/3 extra players to the table as weapons, suddenly ladder positions become meaningless and it's game on.

We were better in and around arfter the first quarter against Freo, but that first quarter is driving me insane and it's every week. Both these weeks we play well enough tghe first quarter we win both games.

The problem is that it is literally everything in the first quarter.

McCartin squaring balls to the corridor. rampe, mccartin, melican all fumbling backwards inviting more pressure. the midfields seem to want to run forwards assuming that they will win it. mclean often starts on the bench which means our one actual contested marking player is not on the ground.

there are so many things going wrong in the first quarter that we seem to invite pressure, we cant control the ball and then lose.

The reality is that our game at the moment is set up to hurt teams on turnovers. and teams arent turning it over anywhere near as much.

The problem is that it is literally everything in the first quarter.

McCartin squaring balls to the corridor. rampe, mccartin, melican all fumbling backwards inviting more pressure. the midfields seem to want to run forwards assuming that they will win it. mclean often starts on the bench which means our one actual contested marking player is not on the ground.

there are so many things going wrong in the first quarter that we seem to invite pressure, we cant control the ball and then lose.

The reality is that our game at the moment is set up to hurt teams on turnovers. and teams arent turning it over anywhere near as much.

Rampe trying to be some elite kicking defender is hardly using our resources either. I was pulling my hair out, we have how many runners but we have Rampe kicking it into 50 at least 5+ times the last two weeks.

Rampe trying to be some elite kicking defender is hardly using our resources either. I was pulling my hair out, we have how many runners but we have Rampe kicking it into 50 at least 5+ times the last two weeks.
Rampe is pound for pound probably the best kick in our team?

Rampe is pound for pound probably the best kick in our team?

At doing what? Kicking it to a contest, sure shouldn't be the one kicking it into 50 when you have Jmac, Gulden, Heeney, Chad (though he'd probably try and beat 8 players and turn it over currently)

At doing what? Kicking it to a contest, sure shouldn't be the one kicking it into 50 when you have Jmac, Gulden, Heeney, Chad (though he'd probably try and beat 8 players and turn it over currently)
I would happily bet that he's hit as many targets inside 50 per kick inside 50 of anyone in our team over the last decade.

Agree Ted. What pains me and Amartey highlighted it yesterday is our forwards drop to many marks when they have the drop on their opponent from positioning in a marking contest. Nobody says contested marking is the easiest skill in the game because its not its bloody hard with the pressure from the defenders and pressure on the ball carrier upfield but when you have them done cold ffs clunk them. What also pains me no end is when this occurs what ever happened to the good old front and square or crumb from the spillage ? Non existent and we continually see the ball worked out of deep forward thrusts with a 4 or 5 possession handball chain created by the spare. So my next question would be where the **** is Papley or Wicks when this happens ? Its their job to be at the drop to clean up or at the very least harass the shit out of any opposition escape route. Infuriating the way today's game is played with structures and regimented ground positioning when good old basics when done well are or can be just as effective.
100% Wolfy.
The front& square doesn’t happen at our club.
We position differently up forward. Or they are knackered & haven’t got the extra effort.
Oh well.
Another crap opposition this week who can embarrass us once again if we leave the door open with laziness.
A couple dropped best 18 players would snap them into line.

100% Wolfy.
The front& square doesn’t happen at our club.
We position differently up forward. Or they are knackered & haven’t got the extra effort.
Oh well.
Another crap opposition this week who can embarrass us once again if we leave the door open with laziness.
A couple dropped best 18 players would snap them into line.
The club is literally crying out for another medium tall forward who can mark the ball because its Hayward and then no one. Like our best ones outside of Hayward are our midfielders and no one wants to move Heeney or Warner out of the midfield because we loose the speed in the midfield.

The club is literally crying out for another medium tall forward who can mark the ball because its Hayward and then no one. Like our best ones outside of Hayward are our midfielders and no one wants to move Heeney or Warner out of the midfield because we loose the speed in the midfield.
I want to move Heeney to the forward line this week.

Magor was my hope, but we're playing him elsewhere in VFL.

I don't think we'd miss Warner's speed out of the midfield. We have enough pace but it's more that he's a piece of the puzzle the other mids have clicked with now (albeit it's not showing in recent performances.)

Realistically I'd be OK with anyone being moved in or out of the mids except for Grundy & Rowbottom who basically are our midfield.

It won't happen though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like we're not getting enough shots in this area anymore

AA66DA0A-DEA5-405F-A8C8-6815B912D796.jpeg

Earlier in the year we were getting the ball in deep and relying on our ground level game to ping the ball back out to a free Swan in that red section, usually for a really good, high-percentage shot at goal.

Lately we're just getting it deep but it's either staying there, or being easily repelled by opposition defenders.

Teams are doing a good job of guarding that space and forcing a lot of our shots to be on tighter angles closer to goal or further out around the 50m arc, neither of which are ideal for converting.

Sheezel attended 48% of CBs on the weekend, so not sure the two are mutually exclusive
I think we will do what we did with Walsh Anderson and many other onballer tags and it will be the Rowbottom handoff to JJ once the initial stoppage occurs.

Amartey could not mark anything and was generally sloppy around the ball. Hamling is attacking the ball with great zest and marking it. This is the one change I would make.

I think we will do what we did with Walsh Anderson and many other onballer tags and it will be the Rowbottom handoff to JJ once the initial stoppage occurs.
Sure, I just think he's an option to rotate at CBs.

I'm not saying Parker has no place in our team ever again. I just think he needs at least a game in VFL first, and he needs to be in form to play a decent amount in midfield as well. Part of why I think he's looked good up forward in parts of games is that he's either got another mid trailing him or oppo defences aren't used to playing on him. If he plays there most of the time, I don't think he has as much impact.

Also, if it's a wet game any week, he's ideal. See ball, get ball, crunch players, bang it forward.

Amartey could not mark anything and was generally sloppy around the ball. Hamling is attacking the ball with great zest and marking it. This is the one change I would make.
I also look at it from a fitness point of view. Amartey has never played a full season, has always struggled with fitness. It's 5 weeks since a bye, he looks like he's lost some confidence.

Either give him a refresh, or manage him in the VFL, clunk a few, kick some goals. Plus if we're looking suspect down back, with Rampe or TMac struggling again, you can put him back for a bit to help out.

To many focused on a single individual or individuals you should rarely lose being 30 points up especially against a team that had 5 wins.
Well the whole team needs a rocket about running both ways and cutting off oppo players steaming past.

Also don't play on without actually being aware of well ... anything around you.

But there's not much else to discuss there.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Wheels falling off? 2 point loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back