73Marcus BontempelliWB
72Patrick CrippsCARL
69Caleb SerongFRE
65Zach MerrettESS
62Errol GuldenSYD
61Lachie NealeBL
61Sam WalshCARL
59Chad WarnerSYD

Had a mate message and say he knows a guy who reckons the training loads are up and that's why we are coasting , trying to peak for finals.

I think it's probably complete garbage but I also want to wrap myself up and take comfort in it
I was talking to a random at the club yesterday whilst watching the game and he said something kinda similar - sort of.
His thoughts were that we have backed off a bit on training loads and that basically since the bye we are playing bruise free footy, trying to preserve the boys for the run to finals. He said he thought the coaching panel would have fully expected to win these past two games and in reality, if we had just converted one of the billion behinds we kicked in each game, we would have won them both.
A few of us kinda balked at the time, but as the game went on, it actually made sense.
St K's pressure was up (as was Freo's the week prior) for virtually the whole game and, prior to the bye, when that would happen, we would ride that wave and then dial our pressure gauge up to a squillion and it would break the back of every team we faced, yet the last two weeks we have pretty much kept coasting through.
No real idea if he knew what he was talking about, but as the game went on, it made more and more sense.

I was talking to a random at the club yesterday whilst watching the game and he said something kinda similar - sort of.
His thoughts were that we have backed off a bit on training loads and that basically since the bye we are playing bruise free footy, trying to preserve the boys for the run to finals. He said he thought the coaching panel would have fully expected to win these past two games and in reality, if we had just converted one of the billion behinds we kicked in each game, we would have won them both.
A few of us kinda balked at the time, but as the game went on, it actually made sense.
St K's pressure was up (as was Freo's the week prior) for virtually the whole game and, prior to the bye, when that would happen, we would ride that wave and then dial our pressure gauge up to a squillion and it would break the back of every team we faced, yet the last two weeks we have pretty much kept coasting through.
No real idea if he knew what he was talking about, but as the game went on, it made more and more sense.
Seems odd to me. Bank the wins, be 4 games clear and then manage players against Lions, Port away etc if you have to.

Instead now we face a tough run with a 2 game buffer, while clubs below have it easier.

Seems odd to me. Bank the wins, be 4 games clear and then manage players against Lions, Port away etc if you have to.

Instead now we face a tough run with a 2 game buffer, while clubs below have it easier.
Absolutely no idea but it made sense watching the game, particularly when you keep in mind that we would have actually expected to and indeed should have won both games.

Heeney 1 week, we will challenge that
When you really have a look at what Heeney did, trying to evade a player, in a contact sport, who was grappling him, the outcome was a bloody nose. In a contact sport. Heeney was not malicious. Rather competitive.
If the AFL wants this rule to rule they way players behave, then the game will lose integrity.
The AFL will get what it deserves. A game with less competitiveness and integrity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely no idea but it made sense watching the game, particularly when you keep in mind that we would have actually expected to and indeed should have won both games.
IDK, it makes sense to me that some of the guys we have on the team get a bit ahead of themselves and don't put the effort in, or assume their skills/confidence will never let them down (and then our inaccuracy has left the door open for once).

It fits with the Richmond game after a good start to the year where we might have had some inflated egos. Not trying to manage bodies for finals then.

IDK, it makes sense to me that some of the guys we have on the team get a bit ahead of themselves and don't put the effort in, or assume their skills/confidence will never let them down (and then our inaccuracy has left the door open for once).

It fits with the Richmond game after a good start to the year where we might have had some inflated egos. Not trying to manage bodies for finals then.
Look I totally agree with you. Up until the bloke said that yesterday, I'd spent all last weeks game and most of yesterday's game simply saying we were arrogant and thought we had both games won before we'd even run into the ground. He just introduced a different perspective and what he said made sense.
In reality, either thought seems logical.

The lighter training load theory seems plausible.

The club would not want to expend all their energy trying to achieve a brilliant 22-1 home and away season. And subsequently struggle in the finals series because we are exhausted and injured.

I assume it is emotionally and physically draining to play 4 quarters of high intensity pressure every week. It is easier for St Kilda to lift for one game to beat the side on top of the ladder.

Confirmation, for those who went at Ollie for his effort late in the game:

View attachment 2042682
I was at the ground and was filthy with Florent at the time but in fairness to myself the old mince pies are not what they used to be as I was as far away from the incident by about the length of the Flemington straight at the ground and tend to not look at the big screen so apologies for being hard on the boy. I will say though as much as I have liked his improvement over the years and the footballer he has become he does have an awful habit in that scenario of confusing himself by over thinking things. You can see his mind ticking over and then bang !!!! Gone. If in doubt son hack it forward out of the danger zone. Cunningham does it time and time again.

The lighter training load theory seems plausible.

The club would not want to expend all their energy trying to achieve a brilliant 22-1 home and away season. And subsequently struggle in the finals series because we are exhausted and injured.

I assume it is emotionally and physically draining to play 4 quarters of high intensity pressure every week. It is easier for St Kilda to lift for one game to beat the side on top of the ladder.

Who knows honestly just hope we dont waste all the hard work we have done to put ourselves in such a good position.

I did think it was impossible to keep that standard up but i didnt think we would drop yesterday game i thought it would happen against Port/Brisbane.

Who knows honestly just hope we dont waste all the hard work we have done to put ourselves in such a good position.

I did think it was impossible to keep that standard up but i didnt think we would drop yesterday game i thought it would happen against Port/Brisbane.
Yer I reckon we could still drop to 3rd

Our draw is the toughest in the 8 on the way home

Be spewing but still the double

The games he's played this year.

I don't think he's "past it" though, I think he can have an impact if we need a combative inside mid who bangs the ball forward / medium forward. Particularly on a wet day or if someone like Adams, Rowy are injured.

I just wouldn't bring him in this week after 7 weeks off and not exactly setting the VFL alight before that. Maybe to play up forward, but I'd rather we rest Isaac up there this week. If Heeney is out, that's another question.
30+ possessions is not exactly setting the VFL alight. What, he needed 50 or so to satisfy you?

The games he's played this year.

I don't think he's "past it" though, I think he can have an impact if we need a combative inside mid who bangs the ball forward / medium forward. Particularly on a wet day or if someone like Adams, Rowy are injured.

I just wouldn't bring him in this week after 7 weeks off and not exactly setting the VFL alight before that. Maybe to play up forward, but I'd rather we rest Isaac up there this week. If Heeney is out, that's another question.
30+ possessions is not exactly setting the VFL alight. What, he needed 50 or so to satisfy you?

No debate over his class and what he can do for us down back, but we're talking about zero match play since last season, when we've looked sluggish in recent weeks.

He might be fine at intercepting, contesting, but not sure he'll give us a lot of defensive pressure late on if he's gassed.
He can be subbed out at that time

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Wheels falling off? 2 point loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back