AFL Toast Win against Wet Toast

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad calls are gonna happen every game.

Let's hope it spurs Wright on to be a little less lax with his hands, which he is (let's admit).
Agreed, I try not to focus on umpiring as more than not it always comes down to our own ball use that gets us into trouble. I also like to think I'm pretty forgiving in many instances. Calls like holding the ball, dropping the ball, in the back I can understand the difficulty around them, but that mark was clear as day and was not a good look for any 'professional' umpire. There are bad calls (which we get happen) and then there are abject howlers (which just shouldn't).

it was hard to take. It's so ****ing stupid because all you have to do is control the mark. There's no requirement for it to be for a period of time. Wright absolutely controlled that mark, until it was knocked out. Should have been paid every day of the week. Then, a bit later, a WC player doesn't control it, yet gets paid. Infuriating
Sometimes decisions are 50/50, 70/30, 99/1… but that mark was 99.9999/0.0001. The ump was the only person on the planet who thought it wasn’t a mark. Even Joe Biden was yelling at the screen in disbelief.

Last edited:

Sometimes decisions are 50/50, 70/30, 99/1… but that mark was 99.9999/0.0001. The ump was the only person on the planet who thought it wasn’t a mark. Even Joe Biden was yelling at the screen in disbelief.
didn’t think we’d be getting Joe Biden as an Essendon advocate, but here we are

Good 2nd quarter, if we'd kicked the first goal of the 3rd I'm sure we run away with it, but they're within a goal with a few mins left in the quarter. Plus they were able to.get the game back to 2 goals with 10+ mins to play.

Like a lot of our games, we have a good quarter to break games open, then spend the other 3 in an arm wrestle. It's just inviting trouble when it's not needed

Not that belting bottom sides is a marker of success, it would give me more confidence if we took care of business against the lower end.

I'm still concerned about the volume of scores we're giving up. Almost reliant on the opposition going at 50% conversion. Against often teams that aren't lighting it up.

Good 2nd quarter, if we'd kicked the first goal of the 3rd I'm sure we run away with it, but they're within a goal with a few mins left in the quarter. Plus they were able to.get the game back to 2 goals with 10+ mins to play.

Like a lot of our games, we have a good quarter to break games open, then spend the other 3 in an arm wrestle. It's just inviting trouble when it's not needed

Not that belting bottom sides is a marker of success, it would give me more confidence if we took care of business against the lower end.

I'm still concerned about the volume of scores we're giving up. Almost reliant on the opposition going at 50% conversion. Against often teams that aren't lighting it up.
That was a super solid effort by west coast. People talking about them being a bottom team is misdirected. They have been shit a lot this year but they are decent lately. We played an average to good game which got the job done. I kind of like that we aren’t flat track bullies, getting all excited at smashing lower teams. We rock up and give a professional level every week and then put the emotion into the games that count.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not as woeful as the last WC game, but to be 4 odd goals up at HT and then for the gap to close to a goal during the third quarter and only really stay in front due to great goal kicking (until Martin blew that gimmie) isn't that much better than woeful. really just the same old same old. bits and pieces that make you think there's something there and then a really bad team stays in the game far longer than they should.

dyson's goal was nice though.
Geez not going to damn anyone with faint praise are you?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Toast Win against Wet Toast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back