Worst ever bulldog player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Bruton not sure he would get a game at a local club and if he did would be borderline

I must admit I was high on Malcolm lynch
Tim Walsh is a fair one. Never looked like making it even on the rare occasion that he wasn't injured.

Koops was terrible for the Dogs but he was aright at Freo but I'm happy for him to be lumped in the worst Bulldogs to play a game.

I didn't think Mcguiness was that bad, kicked 4 on a debut from memory and played some handy games along the way. Went back to the SANFL and won a club B&F and captained a flag too I think. Wasn't the worst bulldog ever but never did make it.

What about Malcolm Lynch? 2 senior games 12 touches in total for zero goals.

Has anyone mentioned Alby Smedts?

There was a bloke who Footscray recruited from the SANFL once, without a clearance, and it was big news when Footscray named him having just flown in from Adelaide. He lasted five minutes. I can't remember his name.

Footscray have recruited at least four blokes from Canberra over the last forty years, none of whom were great players, although Ian Low was probably the best of an average lot.

I remember being involved in an ACTAFL reserves game in 1986 at the old Phillip ground, and in the main game was surprised to see an overweight Ian Low still running around for Belconnen.

There was a bloke who Footscray recruited from the SANFL once, without a clearance, and it was big news when Footscray named him having just flown in from Adelaide. He lasted five minutes. I can't remember his name.

John Riley ... link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Riley_(Australian_footballer)

From memory 1 very quiet game off HB. A bit harsh to throw him in this thread. He would have played the week after and been given a chance across 2-3 seasons if there hadn't been the clearance issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was his disposal and decision making like during the finals?
It was a lot better. He played a lot more within his limitations and didn't turn it over nearly as much. Played it a lot safer as well.

Has anyone mentioned Alby Smedts?

I can remember Alby - played mid 70's - around the Bluey Hampshire era.
I had his footy card when I was a kid.

I can't really comment on his game as I was far too young to remember how he went. I think he was a defender

I think the Billie Smedts on the Geelong list is related - his son perhaps?

I can remember Alby - played mid 70's - around the Bluey Hampshire era.
I had his footy card when I was a kid.

I can't really comment on his game as I was far too young to remember how he went. I think he was a defender

I think the Billie Smedts on the Geelong list is related - his son perhaps?
Billie Smedts is his son, he played 51 games so has no place in this thread.

Billie Smedts is his son, he played 51 games so has no place in this thread.

Has no place on this thread because he gave birth to a son, or because he played 51 games? In that era when he played, all sorts of blokes were getting games who shouldn't have been getting games. Did you see him play? He was good entertainment, I'll give you that.

mulligan, nothing can be worse. a kade simpson 0 disposal first two games would be better than Mulligan who stuffed it up every time he got it.

i dont recall a single effective disposal.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread Bruton stats back up how bad he was

1 Handball, 0 Kicks, 1 mark, 2 hitouts, 1 Free against. Thats both his games combined.

He had more frees against in his career than kicks and averaged 1 hitout a game for a 200cm guy.

Has no place on this thread because he gave birth to a son, or because he played 51 games? In that era when he played, all sorts of blokes were getting games who shouldn't have been getting games. Did you see him play? He was good entertainment, I'll give you that.
You raise an interesting point how can you compare players from different
eras, simple answer you can't.Players used to smoke in the breaks and the
gatorade had an amber color to it.Playing fifty one games in the VFL days
meant several seasons even if you were a crap back pocket.

You raise an interesting point how can you compare players from different
eras, simple answer you can't.Players used to smoke in the breaks and the
gatorade had an amber color to it.Playing fifty one games in the VFL days
meant several seasons even if you were a crap back pocket.
Not only that, there were only 12 teams in the comp and only 20 players picked each week. That's only 240 players earning a game each week instead of 18 x 22= 396 players in 2014. Much harder to get a game back then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst ever bulldog player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back