AFL Toast Win Against Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought fair comments from Ross Lyon after the game, even mentioned we were missing a couple plus Setterfield loss. Terrific win after a poor start …the manner of the win very pleasing with the forward pressure and superb midfield which has been good in all three games. Jones and Duursma performances really encouraging
I thought it was good when Lyon actually said that it was important to acknowledge your opponent which he then did often throughout the entire press conference. Good sportsmanship.

Definitely pleased with our defensive efforts after half time. Only three goals conceded and eight scoring shots for the half is a good result. I don’t recall too many times they cut through us in transition like they were doing in the first quarter.

As others have said our intercept game should only improve once Ridley and Reid return to the team. Also keen to get Roberts in at some stage who has looked impressive.

My biggest concern today (apart from some woeful skills at times) was Jye Menzie. Seven touches, one tackle and one behind doesn’t cut it for a small forward. Compare to Higgins who had 15 touches, five tackles and three goals.

Getting or unearthing a genuine small forward is priority one this year.

Gotta say. I did see this one coming. The game against the swans looked like great intent, we just couldn’t quite keep up. Felt like this group wasn’t ready to roll over regardless of the mid week doom and gloom in the media.

We dominated the saints for large patches after the initial onslaught.

Great to beat Smug Ross has been bringing an edge for a year and a half.

Definitely pleased with our defensive efforts after half time. Only three goals conceded and eight scoring shots for the half is a good result. I don’t recall too many times they cut through us in transition like they were doing in the first quarter.

As others have said our intercept game should only improve once Ridley and Reid return to the team. Also keen to get Roberts in at some stage who has looked impressive.

My biggest concern today (apart from some woeful skills at times) was Jye Menzie. Seven touches, one tackle and one behind doesn’t cut it for a small forward. Compare to Higgins who had 15 touches, five tackles and three goals.

Getting or unearthing a genuine small forward is priority one this year.
Menzie needs to find form in the VFL. So far off last year's form.

If you watched it from up high - he had no opponent for 3/4 of the game.

He was off it royally today.

Which is it? he had no opponent or he was off his opponent by 20-30m

Gee can't wait for him to play his opponent tight, might get 16 tackles instead of 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent win today and I’m not being hyperbolic. Stuck fat, made the most of our opportunities with a rag tag forward line. Haven’t looked at the stats but felt we were very efficient in the F50 and keeping the ball in from stoppages - not so much when we were flying in and muffed a handball then being exposed on the turnover, etc. Definitely an area of improvement as we all know. Nice to get four points against a similarly placed team in the 6-12 position. Onwards

He's great in the air, he also seems to like cutting across a pack. Think with draper resting forward the long bombs into the 50 would suit him as opposed to trying to work in tandem with Peter's long leads.
This makes me think he's actually a defender. This is what Tom Stewart is great at.

Geez the media by and latge hates Essendon

Just watched the round so far thing on the AFL site. They talked for 5 minutes about St Kilda and St Kilda errors and the weeks ahead for St Kilda. All they said about Essendon was that we started poorly, and that our pressure got better during the game. Didn’t mention one player apart from Stringer.

Oh my goodness no, he was 20-30m off his player all day.

My goodness, he was bad.
More tackles than anyone else?
I'm hoping it means that Nick Martin plays his best position, a goal kicking wing.
Doubt. Tsatas probably just comes straight back in.

They're sticking with Martin at half back, especially not gonna change it after he has 44 touches.

Watched the first 3 quarters on delay then kayo and my internet sharted it’s self. Dying to see the last quarter - couldn’t believe we won after I googled the result. Aints fans should be absolutely filthy as they were all over us and we played some disgusting football. It’s gonna be a long year watching the style we play, at least a lot of the boys have a crack but when you can’t hit a simple target or run both ways you won’t win a lot of games. We must of turned that around in the last

Remove this Banner Ad

Back