Autopsy 2 point loss vs the Lions!

Remove this Banner Ad

We were already missing some of our top players then lost more before half time and played out the second half short rotations and eventually lost by 2 points against the form team in the comp. It's not panic stations.

We were already missing some of our top players then lost more before half time and played out the second half short rotations and eventually lost by 2 points against the form team in the comp. It's not panic stations.

Yep unless Papley and Rampe etc are season ending then I may panic more

View attachment 2055220

Hipwood was on fire yesterday.
This will be defined as a football act. However I didn’t you could put boots into the back after Tom Greene was pulled up on this action a few years ago.

Happened multiple times, again if they umpire correctly we win

For all the Hype around the league about the big 3 in heeney warner and errol, at least one of these close losses should have been turned around by one of them making a big play.

It's all well and good chasing 1 million plus deals, at some stage you have to be the difference in turning a loss to a win
They're not our big three IMO.

Hate blaming umps I really do but jeez they were inconsistent all day long- we didn’t help ourselves but they were dreadful.

Slow starts are hurting us least we’ve already banked the wins but be nice to win a couple close ones

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great effort, just fell short, but very brave indeed (kudos in particular to Will H). Took some level of comfort from how well the defence held up in Rampe's absence (though someone could pls explain to me the opposite's world scenario where Blakey was defending Cameron and Cunningham was taking the kick outs - those two incidents alone were incredibly costly).

Not quite sure about the umps anger here - bar the dreadful Blakey tunnelling, I didn't think that had any impact. On balance, it was a ripper game that could have gone either way.

Can't handle the negativity so I haven't read the thread, so forgive me if this has been said already, but gee Ollie was poor yesterday. He and Blakey seemed to make poor decision after poor decision.
Plenty of people bagging him, personally I had him as one of our best! Gave us plenty of drive, and it's always hard to tell on TV what he's kicking to, suspect the Lions covered our options well.

Can't handle the negativity so I haven't read the thread, so forgive me if this has been said already, but gee Ollie was poor yesterday. He and Blakey seemed to make poor decision after poor decision.
Spot on. Both have been off for weeks. Blakey’s ordinary form and crucial errors gets glossed over because he has the odd dash through the middle hitting up a forward which always looks great. He needs to cut out that stupid decision making and start hitting those kicks into the corridor with some purpose. He is pulling the trigger hoping he hits a target rather than disposing in a manner that believes he is going to hitch it. He is arguably our most important player as he can turn desperate defensive play into scintillating ball movement in the blink of an eye. Like it or loathe it He is our Tom Brady.

Last edited:
Errol and Blakey have been down for a while now. It was unrealistic to expect them to be able to maintain that high standard for an entire season.
Errol’s second quarter was sensational. He was involved in so many of those quick scores.

While his kicking hasn’t been as exquisitely accurate over the last few weeks as we’ve come to expect, I think that’s in part due to a drop off from others. His kicks are missing by small margins where a team mate doesn’t react as quickly as their opponent. Or he’s kicking to a pocket of space in the forward line where a forward fails to lead. Maybe he needs to lower his expectations, especially when he’s kicking from the back half of the ground, but he’s still opening up the ground when they do come off.

Blakey’s kicking woes are more worrying. He’s missing some by miles.

More confident now than I was prior to us losing to them, for some bizarre reason.
Me too. The teams with two or more reeeeally tall forwards are the ones that worry me the most but Melican and McCartin coped admirably yesterday even without the guidance of Rampe for half the game. Even those three early goals from Daniher weren’t from being out marked where it mattered. (Or not all were.)

If we’d coped better with Andrews’s aerial domination we’d have won that game comfortably I suspect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2 point loss vs the Lions!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back