List Mgmt. 2009 trade week discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Potential Trade Week Action!

Persistent rumours that Spanger is on the move, wouldn't surprise me. A few other WC names keep getting mentioned too.

In addition to the names above, on SEN today Andrew Walker's name was mentioned and so was Josh Kennedy. Both are very, very good players, although we can probably afford neither.

Would you guys consider a trade of our pick 7, Seaby and Spanger fror Travis Varco?

We wouldn't want Seaby, and I just think Varcoe won't be on the table. If Brisbane offered Brown and Rich for him then of course we'd take it, but in the absence of a ridiculously juicy offer like that then think we'd probably be fairly unreasonable in our demands for Trav.

How about Stokes and #16 for Spangher, Scott Selwood and #7?

You get your proven quality small forward that Woosha wants and still keep a pick in the first round, while we get a young, mobile, tall defender (what we need) and some reasonable compensation for the objective difference in value between the two players.

Swapping 16 for 7 is compensation, grabbing S.Selwood as well is greedy :D

Swapping 16 for 7 is compensation, grabbing S.Selwood as well is greedy :D

True. Put that in at the last second. :D

I'd seriously consider Stokes and #16 for Spangher and #7 though.

We're going to need some more tall defenders with Harley, Scarlett and Milburn pretty close to the end of their careers, and the likes of McKenna et al not showing a whole lot so far (although Gillies looks promising). As good as they are I don't really want to have Taylor and Mackie as our only options for Riewoldt and Kosi in 2011.

Stokes is frankly surplus to requirements given our abundance of small forwards (Chappy, SJ, Varcoe x 2, Byrnes, Motlop, etc), and probably has some decent value in the market.

We wouldn't want Seaby, and I just think Varcoe won't be on the table. If Brisbane offered Brown and Rich for him then of course we'd take it, but in the absence of a ridiculously juicy offer like that then think we'd probably be fairly unreasonable in our demands for Trav.

Agree with all of that. Plus when you lose one brother, you often lose another...

Had thought that Stokes might be traded but after the support from the coach this week I'm not so sure.

With so many small forwards on our list I think we should look to trade with a club that badly needs one...Brisbane.. Stokes for that kid Henderson as a straight swap would do me..

With so many small forwards on our list I think we should look to trade with a club that badly needs one...Brisbane.. Stokes for that kid Henderson as a straight swap would do me..

Henderson went at pick 8 and everything he's done so far suggests he's worth at least that. Stokes is not worth a top 10 pick, I think Brisbane would be reluctant to trade Henderson for Stokes even if we through in our first round pick.

Henderson went at pick 8 and everything he's done so far suggests he's worth at least that. Stokes is not worth a top 10 pick, I think Brisbane would be reluctant to trade Henderson for Stokes even if we through in our first round pick.

Stokes might be worth a late first round pick this year, but wouldn't normally. Everyone is saying that past the top 8 players or so there is much of a muchness. But I'd agree that Henderson shows a lot of promise and Brisbane wouldn't likely trade him cheaply.

Lovett is also on the move, apparently.

For us I'm guessing we'll move on Tenace (who I think will find a spot elsewhere) and Harley will retire. Lonners may want to look elsewhere too - he'd be in the best 22 for a bunch of clubs, but will struggle to get a game with us I suspect. Not sure how the Egan situation worked out money wise but hopefully we'll at least not HAVE to let anyone else go because of the salary cap, any moves we make are because we want to.

Massive year for trades, and plenty of value out there.

Are we going to be getting rid of some players?

Just watching bombers press conference. He says something about the salary cap being an issue and having to trade players away at trade week. He also talked about focusing on the youth and hoping that Gamble, Mumford and Hogan could play in a grand final.

This had me a little worried. Is Geelong going to lose some good players in the off season? When Bomber mentioned that it kind of hit home that this really could be the end of our run and it made me very sad :(

Re: Are we going to be getting rid of some players?

Briefed through an article saying if Tom and Dasher stay they might have to make some trades.

****, lets just party some till we have to worry about all that shit!

Just watching bombers press conference. He says something about the salary cap being an issue and having to trade players away at trade week. He also talked about focusing on the youth and hoping that Gamble, Mumford and Hogan could play in a grand final.

This had me a little worried. Is Geelong going to lose some good players in the off season? When Bomber mentioned that it kind of hit home that this really could be the end of our run and it made me very sad :(

We are in the best position in footy! I honestly don't care if we finish bottom for the next 10 years....we have sealed 2 big ones now!!!!

I am hoping Dash and Harley call it quits and get the send off they deserve! Wouldn't be upset if we dished off a couple of the boys for trades....they will always be part of what Geelong has achieved now, anything within the future is irrelevant!

We have some good kids, Mumford, Hogan, Gamble, Djukerra, Gilles, Brown, Ranga, Laidler, Simpson, West.... and they simply must be played next year. We can start building another dynasty right now and still be very very competitive.

1 more year for the Moondog, 1 more year for Wojack, a couple more for Otto. Lets give those who played today the first 10 weeks of the season off and just play our B side!!

Who cares....these boys will allways be Geelong Champions. I can die a happy man right now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah I think it is just reality, we have a few fringe dwellers who've been around for ages like D.Johnson, Tenace & some others I probably have forgotten about. Mumford looks like he is the "No 1 Ruck Contender" what this means for Blake is anyone's guess, but I would hope we trade him now he has some value as a premiership player rather than see him sit in the magoo's all next season and be worth bugger all. I hear Port need a ruckman now that Lade has gone.

Personally I think with a guy like Gamble he has to show he has the work ethic to match his talent and Hogan will be very good if his senior appearances are any indication.

Felicity Percival basically announced Harley's retirement today on 1HD with her "no comment" line as to whether she would like to see him play on. Milburn I think is probably close enough to the end to hang it up being a dual premiership player.

I would love to see the Cats put some serious work into Trent West as a key defender, to take the third tall, he has good skills by hand and foot and adds an extra marking tall in the backline which we'll have lost with Harley. Plus we get a fit & firing Josh Hunt back (if you've seen his quads, his knee was definitely a once off!) who can handle the Milburn role (plus he's a hell of a lot better kick).

I think those who were predicting our demise as a era will be very disappointed next year. I think we have a great team with a great culture led from the top down. This permeates everything from the front office to the football department, our core is still in the "premiership clock" territory, and some of our younger players have made huge ground this year (Hawkins, Byrnes, Varcoe, Hogan, Mumford, Taylor to name a few).

We've got our big guns signed so I think we'll be right, and I think the best thing is that most of the team genuinely feel for their teammates, which has gotta help when negotiating contracts.

agreed 100%, although I think if Harley retires, which he will, and if Milburn does so too, Hunt will slot straight back in, aswell as Gillies. The one or two senior games that Gillies played, I thought straight away that this kid is going to be a star. He played exactly as Taylor does!

As long as we have any 3 of ablett bartel selwood chapman ling corey enright we are going to be a top 2 contender :)

Nah I think it is just reality, we have a few fringe dwellers who've been around for ages like D.Johnson, Tenace & some others I probably have forgotten about. Mumford looks like he is the "No 1 Ruck Contender" what this means for Blake is anyone's guess, but I would hope we trade him now he has some value as a premiership player rather than see him sit in the magoo's all next season and be worth bugger all. I hear Port need a ruckman now that Lade has gone.

Personally I think with a guy like Gamble he has to show he has the work ethic to match his talent and Hogan will be very good if his senior appearances are any indication.

Felicity Percival basically announced Harley's retirement today on 1HD with her "no comment" line as to whether she would like to see him play on. Milburn I think is probably close enough to the end to hang it up being a dual premiership player.

I would love to see the Cats put some serious work into Trent West as a key defender, to take the third tall, he has good skills by hand and foot and adds an extra marking tall in the backline which we'll have lost with Harley. Plus we get a fit & firing Josh Hunt back (if you've seen his quads, his knee was definitely a once off!) who can handle the Milburn role (plus he's a hell of a lot better kick).

I think those who were predicting our demise as a era will be very disappointed next year. I think we have a great team with a great culture led from the top down. This permeates everything from the front office to the football department, our core is still in the "premiership clock" territory, and some of our younger players have made huge ground this year (Hawkins, Byrnes, Varcoe, Hogan, Mumford, Taylor to name a few).

We've got our big guns signed so I think we'll be right, and I think the best thing is that most of the team genuinely feel for their teammates, which has gotta help when negotiating contracts.

You are right about Joshy...I was standing 2 feet from joshy at the post match...in fact the great man even let me shake his hand :) and boy is he a tank:thumbsu:

Anyway...back to earth and other matters...I think Bomber's just being honest, that the cap system the way it is, you can't keep everybody after a premiership. No need to panic though, we won't lose many players, 1 or 2 max, and they won't be our top 10 ers anyway. So we may lose a player or two towards the bottom of the 22, but the Mumford, Gillies's et al will come in and repay the faith shown in them.

I'm almost certain this has been Tommy's last game, and what a game it was. Thanks for your great leadership mate, and all the best for married life :thumbsu:

I think Harley will retire with his injury ridden year but I would like to see another year from Milburn played a good final series and is still easily in our best 22 if the body lets him.

True..on most accounts. I'm working on the theory that the Lions will not get any better unless they recruit a quality small forward (something I think they would admit to) and may trade to get the best available. They seem to have enough defenders in Merrett, Patfull, Adcock McGrath etc so may trade an excess defender to get what they need. Henderson is from down here so who knows...all trades on paper tend to favour one team over another...but are usually based on need...

I have a fair few friends, who are brisbane supporters, who said that they would love a trade of Gamble - Henderson, I would like that. He would be very good at the almost loose man in defence role (left by Harley, providing he retires) with the ability to swing forward.

Farewells

Hey guys, Just on what Bomber said, Gelong could be one of the best sides in the AFL, but you need to let go of some players earlier than expected.

Not just trade options but retirement. Harley one would think would go, Could probably go around again, However, With Taylor as good as he is, Scarlett and Mackie you guys could probably afford to see the back of Tom. ?Milburn? Again, Probably still has another year in him, but you need to give a kid a regular opertunity, if not a kid, Josh Hunt steps back into this role for a few years. David Johnson, again could keep going and to be honest has had a limited career however, he is not going to be a player to keep you guys towards the top of the ladder for the next three years.

Add to that Egan, Unfortunate.

Kane Tennace to be delisted.

Probably trade one or two players max.

But are your opinions similar to mine, who do you guys think you could loose but still replace?

6 changes to a premiership side, is a good turn over while still keeping competative.

Re: Farewells

Hey guys, Just on what Bomber said, Gelong could be one of the best sides in the AFL, but you need to let go of some players earlier than expected.

Not just trade options but retirement. Harley one would think would go, Could probably go around again, However, With Taylor as good as he is, Scarlett and Mackie you guys could probably afford to see the back of Tom. ?Milburn? Again, Probably still has another year in him, but you need to give a kid a regular opertunity, if not a kid, Josh Hunt steps back into this role for a few years. David Johnson, again could keep going and to be honest has had a limited career however, he is not going to be a player to keep you guys towards the top of the ladder for the next three years.

Add to that Egan, Unfortunate.

Kane Tennace to be delisted.

Probably trade one or two players max.

But are your opinions similar to mine, who do you guys think you could loose but still replace?

6 changes to a premiership side, is a good turn over while still keeping competative.

the boys will take a cut in their salary milburn will play on harley will go, give hunt and gillies a run in the nab cup to give gillies experience and get hunt back to his best trade gamble delist tenace

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2009 trade week discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back