Discussion 2012 List Management: De-Listings, Trades, Drafting & Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So folks.......here are the rumours affecting us and still on the go for tomorrow:

1. Brown to us (If Brian says it is done then it is done - pending Essendon)
  2. Cripps to WCE (just a matter of what pick)
  3. Of secondary interest is the Essendon deal for Cale Hooker and how much it costs us
  4. Jacobs to us (Nth lost interest apparently) - not keen on seeing this happen
  5. Ray to Melb -
  6. Of secondary interest is the Martin (Melb) deal to Brisbane because that draft pick will be offered for Ray
  7. Saints player to GWS??? Up to the player apparently. This one could hurt.
  8. Trent Dennis-Lane to Saints
I don't want to go into the merits of each - I just wanted to narrow down the potential topics for tomorrow.

Any others?

9. Clint Jones possible trade for ?Roberton (Freo)

Seems to have got a bit of airtime now.

The Saints, meanwhile, have moved to secure a replacement for Cripps in negotiating a trade of a late pick for Sydney small forward Trent Dennis-Lane.

The Saints are seeking to load up with a fast forward line blending in quick recruits Tom Lee and Dennis-Lane to complement the pace of Rhys Stanley and Terry Milera.

Melbourne is still trying to find a pick to be able to trade to St Kilda for Farren Ray, who is still in contract and the Saints are happy to keep.

If Melbourne ruck-forward Stefan Martin were to be traded to Brisbane, the Demons would try to include that pick in a trade to St Kilda.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... z2AJjolGOE

Jeez.

TDL, Saad, Milera, Stanley and Lee in the one forward line...

They'd be hard to catch...literally.

I like the concept...it's refreshingly new and away from the clunky kind of style that's been around for years now.

Perhaps the Saints will be innovative this time.

TDL was a star forward at Subiaco back in Watters days as coach there so he might be worth a try but it's hard to see him breaking into our best 22, initially anyway, he could be a worthwhile recruit for the future though.

I just think that we need more help in the midfield. Given that Goddard's gone, and we missed out on Caddy - a midfielder would be good.

Just echoing other people's comments - if the Mitch Brown deal falls over - do we have any other options? In terms of state league players who we can draft as stop gap? Or even Silvagni as a stop gap from Freo?

I am just worried that in a fixation with Mitch Brown - st kilda may overpay?

TDL is just a waste of a list spot IMO. We've got Saad, Milera, Siposs, Dunell, Markworth and maybe Minchington all pushing for those small/medium forward spots in the future and he'll just be clogging up the list while Milne and Schneider are still around. Can he play on a wing at all?

TDL is just a waste of a list spot IMO. We've got Saad, Milera, Siposs, Dunell, Markworth and maybe Minchington all pushing for those small/medium forward spots in the future and he'll just be clogging up the list while Milne and Schneider are still around. Can he play on a wing at all?

+1 was just about to same the exact same thing mate. It reeks of Ross Lyon

I get the feeling that we are trading a lot of these guys in to replace a lot of these aging stars, much like Geelong have said they have been doin by finding like - like replacements, an in doing so are creating a lot of depth at a time when the stars and the young kids are still together

Kosi - Lee/Wilkes
Rooey - Lee/Stanley
Milne - Saad/TDL?
Schneider - Milera/TDL?
Lenny - Armo/Stevens/Ross
Dal - Newnsey
Fisher - Simpkin
Dawson - Brown?

This mixed in with all the other young kids flying through such as markworth, ledger, curren, lever, etc. makes for exciting times and I love the way the footy department is going about it!

+1 was just about to same the exact same thing mate. It reeks of Ross Lyon
Still haven't upgraded Dunell, 3-4 draft picks to come in as well. Big time clog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still haven't upgraded Dunell, 3-4 draft picks to come in as well. Big time clog.

Reckon this indicates we won't be upgrading any rookie. Still going have offload 3 or 4 players to have room for everyone as it stands!

Reckon this indicates we won't be upgrading any rookie. Still going have offload 3 or 4 players to have room for everyone as it stands!
I hope not because it would be silly to not upgrade Dunell. One of the best kicks on the list and we need him from round 1.

Marty Pask pretty much says Farren Ray will remain at Saints. No offers or anything really been put forward.

Looks like @traderadio is now running with the 3-way trade that sees Cripps/Hooker at WC & Brown at Saints.

I get the feeling that we are trading a lot of these guys in to replace a lot of these aging stars, much like Geelong have said they have been doin by finding like - like replacements, an in doing so are creating a lot of depth at a time when the stars and the young kids are still together

Kosi - Lee/Wilkes
Rooey - Lee/Stanley
Milne - Saad/TDL?
Schneider - Milera/TDL?
Lenny - Armo/Stevens/Ross
Dal - Newnsey
Fisher - Simpkin
Dawson - Brown?

This mixed in with all the other young kids flying through such as markworth, ledger, curren, lever, etc. makes for exciting times and I love the way the footy department is going about it!

Yes we had a list that had hollowed out in the middile. Lots of older players & young players but damn all in between. If we just continued to recruit 18 year olds we would have ended up like Melbourne. A young team without enough mature bodies to teach them how to be AFL players.

We appear to not only realised this but also gone looking for replacements, almost on a postion by position basis, while we still have the older guys to mentor them.

Up grade Dunell, & seek a quick outside mid & a young KPD through the draft..
TDL is a flat track bully, struggles at AFL level on a consistent basis.

You don't see Milera as a possible quick outside mid? Not sure why people automatically pidgeon hole him as a small forward. He was at his best at the start of the year when he just took the game on, then he over finessed things IMO. Either way, he has some flair and I'd hope to see him work harder and increase his endurance.

Yes we had a list that had hollowed out in the middile. Lots of older players & young players but damn all in between. If we just continued to recruit 18 year olds we would have ended up like Melbourne. A young team without enough mature bodies to teach them how to be AFL players.

We appear to not only realised this but also gone looking for replacements, almost on a postion by position basis, while we still have the older guys to mentor them.

I think this is a great assessment. Part of the Lyon legacy is that gap in experience... which had it been closer, I reckon we would have played finals this year. :thumbsu:

Off load CJ,Raph,Blake,Winmar and Maybe time for the saints to retire Kosi

Dumb question... if you trade out a contracted player you don't have to pay them. So if for example we traded Winmar for pick 99, we would not have to pay his final year. even if we don't use the pick, are we effectively delisting him without the payout obligation?

Just wondering.

You don't see Milera as a possible quick outside mid? Not sure why people automatically pidgeon hole him as a small forward. He was at his best at the start of the year when he just took the game on, then he over finessed things IMO. Either way, he has some flair and I'd hope to see him work harder and increase his endurance.

I do, his skills seem to be more suited to an outside mid role in small forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back