List Mgmt. 2013 Trade / Draft / Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did you see this? There are some claiming this was never agreed to and the HSun just had it wrong on the day of the trade.
Mark Stevens was first who released it, couple of articles were running with it in the last few days and a few who have inside information seem to also believe it was part of the McEvoy trade.

That's modern footy I suppose...

I like Simpkin for the HB line because...

It also means he doesn't have to fight out of his weight division anymore, which is a huge plus for him.

I believe that Roberton and Simpkin could be our 3rd and 4th defenders going forward.
At 194 and 191 cm they are the perfect sizes, very physical, and both great at reading the play.

They should soon be taking the place of Gilbert & Gwilt as part of the rebuild.

I really hope we don't do this, stuff Port Adelaide. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...to-port-adelaide/story-fngeflq8-1226743405464

Let Gold Coast do it i want three picks inside 20! Our club needs it as well...
That didn't actually make that much sense to me? Was it just saying we will give 18 to Brisbane for Longer then Brisbane will trade that and Polec to Port for pick 14?

Initially thought it stated we were trying to swap picks for get a higher pick?

With the players we are expected to get (Delaney, Bruce, Longer) & high draft picks, this team is (age wise & hopefully enthusiasm) a bit like our '95 team, where we won only 5 games, followed by 8 the next & into the GF the year after.
1995 ages 18-22 (14). 23-26 (16). 26-29 (5). 30 + (4)
2014 ages ( ok, I got tired, but think they are shaping fairly similar )

Go The Mighty Saints 2016 Premiers :thumbsu:

Honestly seeing Jolly in a saints guernsey makes me sick.

But just imagine how much he will help Hickey, Pierce, Holmes and Longer (if we get him)! I wouldn't be against us getting Longer and Jolly if Jolly is happy to take more of a coaching role in the future.

Am I the only one that is trying not to get too excited about all the talk of all these trades that are apparently a sure thing? Longer for 25 sounds too good to be true (unless Longer is happy to screw the lions and is 100% telling them he wont stay) and the Bruce and Delaney trades have been going on for so long it will be hard to believe it when they do finally happen, especially if we get them for pick 41 and 77 respectively.

I know it has been said before, but if we get Longer for 25, Bruce for 41 and Delaney for 77 we will have done very, very well this trade period!

Looks like Longer and Patton are mates. Maybe getting Longer is part of a greater plan next year to bring the General home ;)
246408.jpg

That didn't actually make that much sense to me? Was it just saying we will give 18 to Brisbane for Longer then Brisbane will trade that and Polec to Port for pick 14?

Initially thought it stated we were trying to swap picks for get a higher pick?
I think that's what they mean. Longer for Pick 18, Pick 18 + Polec to port for Pick 14.

I can picture in a few years that pick 25 for Billy Longer will go down as one of the biggest steals. Not against having Jolly as insurance, despite him being a flog.

Do not want Jolly if we get Longer.. Just employ a good ruck coach if we want to go down the path of developing our ruckman with someone experienced.. having him on the playing list is just a wasted spot..

Good point, I forgot that getting both of them would mean we would have to cut another person from the list. Hopefully the club has a great ruck coach or 2 lined up ready to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting games into Roberton, Simpkin, Wright and Webster is crucial IMO. Sure, Fisher, Gwilt and Gilbert might be too good for VFL, but that is the stage we are at in our list. If we want to reap the rewards in a few years time, the foundations must be laid now. I do think that Delaney and Bruce will need help, so Dempster plus one of the other experienced third backs should play but that would be an absolute maximum IMO. The only reason we could fit all of Gilbo, Gwilt, Fisher, Dempster and Simpkin/Roberton over the last two years is because we have had no KPDs. Now that it looks like we will have two, the sad reality is that some players who deserve to play AFL football will have to be pushed out to the seconds.

It's the same deal in the midfield. Jones is still in our best 22, but our new draftees and current young midfielders will at times get games ahead of him. It's just where we are at. If it means we are slightly less competitive, that is the price we have to pay. Say this is tanking, say it's immoral, but if we are to improve in the next five years, young players must be given responsibility.

But just imagine how much he will help Hickey, Pierce, Holmes and Longer (if we get him)! I wouldn't be against us getting Longer and Jolly if Jolly is happy to take more of a coaching role in the future.

Am I the only one that is trying not to get too excited about all the talk of all these trades that are apparently a sure thing? Longer for 25 sounds too good to be true (unless Longer is happy to screw the lions and is 100% telling them he wont stay) and the Bruce and Delaney trades have been going on for so long it will be hard to believe it when they do finally happen, especially if we get them for pick 41 and 77 respectively.

I know it has been said before, but if we get Longer for 25, Bruce for 41 and Delaney for 77 we will have done very, very well this trade period!
Yeahhhh I know but he was a big reason why we never got a flag so it pains me to see him in that. ;)

So getting in Longer pretty much confirms trading Macca was purely and simply about his ruck work. Would've preferred we backed in Stanley but oh well if he's good enough forward he'll play there. Might even be a move to keep Stanley as a permanent forward who knows.

Getting games into Roberton, Simpkin, Wright and Webster is crucial IMO. Sure, Fisher, Gwilt and Gilbert might be too good for VFL, but that is the stage we are at in our list. If we want to reap the rewards in a few years time, the foundations must be laid now. I do think that Delaney and Bruce will need help, so Dempster plus one of the other experienced third backs should play but that would be an absolute maximum IMO. The only reason we could fit all of Gilbo, Gwilt, Fisher, Dempster and Simpkin/Roberton over the last two years is because we have had no KPDs. Now that it looks like we will have two, the sad reality is that some players who deserve to play AFL football will have to be pushed out to the seconds.

It's the same deal in the midfield. Jones is still in our best 22, but our new draftees and current young midfielders will at times get games ahead of him. It's just where we are at. If it means we are slightly less competitive, that is the price we have to pay. Say this is tanking, say it's not good immoral, but if we are to improve in the next five years, young players must be given responsibility.

Agree with the development strategy for the younger guy's tomsimpkin31.
This is why IMO we could still give up Chips if needed as we have so many that can fill that role well now.

Surely all of Roo, Fisher and Lenny can only be expected to play around 15 games next season (give or take 3/4 games, depending on how their season pans out). They should be managed not only because of their age, but also because, as we all know, we have a lot of kids in each of those players' respective positions that require AFL exposure.

I think you are correct with Roo. I would be surprised if he went on beyond this year.

Lenny has made it clear that he will be playing every game unless injured. he is not interested in doing what Kosi did and playing for Sandy. Of course he will help the young blokes but he wont simply make up the numbers. He will retire if that happens.

Fish - who knows

I think he's a Lions Academy Player, so it's hands off. Nice player though.

We didn't bid on him. That's because we didn't want to lock in may picks seeing as we have all these trades to do. So any club is free to take either him or anyone other eligible Lions academy player this year. We're probably hoping Smith, Conway and Tickner slip through to the rookie draft. Which is a reasonable chance of happening.

I was a bit annoyed we didn't pick up Conway.

Watters selling the vision of the team to tradees? I think he must be selling it well, Bruce, Longer, Delaney, Savage
Not meaning to take too much of a gloss of what I'm sure is excellent work by Scott, but the other thing that will be attracting these players.... is $$$.

With the players we are expected to get (Delaney, Bruce, Longer) & high draft picks, this team is (age wise & hopefully enthusiasm) a bit like our '95 team, where we won only 5 games, followed by 8 the next & into the GF the year after.
1995 ages 18-22 (14). 23-26 (16). 26-29 (5). 30 + (4)
2014 ages ( ok, I got tired, but think they are shaping fairly similar )

Go The Mighty Saints 2016 Premiers :thumbsu:

18-22 (15), 23-25 (9), 26-29 (6), 30+ (6) as of the start of the afl season next year. (including dal santo, mcevoy and saad out - bruce, delaney, longer, curren in)

Not meaning to take too much of a gloss of what I'm sure is excellent work by Scott, but the other thing that will be attracting these players.... is $$$.
I'm sure your right but all these guys want to be successful, if they thought we were going nowhere they would have taken the next best offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back