• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:
No to Tyrone Thorne, please.

Players like Boomer and Daniel come around once in a generation. Thorne isn't it. He'd be the lightest player in the league by >10kgs. It's a bloody safety hazard. Hurt factor/speed not enough despite smooth moving/pressure/work rate.

PEEL YOUNGSTER A THORN IN EAST FREO’S SIDE

Tyrone Thorne may only be 169cm in stature. But for what the Peel livewire lacks in height, he certainly makes up for in football ability. The diminutive Thorne was terrific for the Thunder, using his agility and skill to gather 18 disposals and five marks, and provide a constant spark for the Thunder across the four quarters. Thorne, along with youngsters Ben Middleton, Jarvis Pina and James Ewing, give the Thunder a strong core of young players that bodes for a bright future for the Mandurah club.
1620911245908.png

Tyrone Thorne celebrated his selection in the WAFL State Squad with another excellent game, playing with plenty of spark and poise in amassing 29 disposals and two goals.

OPTUS WAFL PREMIERSHIP SEASON – ROUND 6

PERTH 2.1 5.6 7.7 11.11 (77)
PEEL THUNDER 8.0 11.3 12.6 14.8 (92)

PERTH: Goals –
Cary 4; Busher 3; Langlands, Clarke, Stubbs, Quill.
Best – Giblett, Cary, Clarke, Taylor, Langlands.
PEEL THUNDER: Goals – Bennell 3; Thorne, Bell, Sears 2; Merrett, Lawler, Treacy, Randall, Middleton.
Best – Thorne, Schofield, Hancock, Bewley, Merrett.

Last edited:
OPTUS WAFL PREMIERSHIP SEASON – ROUND 5

PEEL THUNDER 6.2 13.4 17.9 24.12 (156)
WEST COAST EAGLES 3.1 6.2 10.4 12.5 (77)

PEEL THUNDER: Goals –
Bell 6; Treacy 5; Sturt 4; Thorne, Banfield 2; Lawler, Western, Valente, Giro, Henry.
Best – Thorne, Bell, Hancock, Meek, Treacy, Howlett, Giro, Merrett, Western.
WEST COAST EAGLES: Goals – Cameron 3; Jamieson, Ah Chee 2; Edwards, Humble, Deegan, Robilliard, Hansen.
Best – O'Neill, Brayshaw, Jamieson, Robilliard, Deegan, Cameron.

OPTUS WAFL PREMIERSHIP SEASON – ROUND 3

SOUTH FREMANTLE 4.5 8.9 12.10 14.11 (95)
PEEL THUNDER 2.4 4.7 6.8 11.11 (77)

SOUTH FREMANTLE: Goals –
Schloithe, Ninyette, Edwards 3; Shaw, Miller 2; Z Strom.
Best – Schloithe, Ninyette, Miller, Schlensog, Parker, Blechynden, Pearson, Edwards, Wessels.
PEEL THUNDER: Goals – Meek, Middleton, Western, Sturt 2; Lawler, Thorne, Henry.
Best – Hancock, Blakely, Thorne, Meek, Duman, Valente, Western.

FORWARD POCKET – TYRONE THORNE (Peel Thunder)
Has transformed himself this off-season into a player ready and able to deliver consistently at league level whether it's playing in the midfield to use his speed and running ability, or to play as a crafty small forward with exciting goal sense. Stood out in both capacities in the win over East Perth with 24 touches, six marks and three goals for the Thunder.

OPTUS WAFL PREMIERSHIP SEASON – ROUND 2

EAST PERTH 2.1 4.2 6.6 7.7 (49)
PEEL THUNDER 5.2 9.5 17.8 24.10 (154)

EAST PERTH: Goals –
Young, Dobson 2; Magro, Ajang, Kerr.
Best – Scott, Young, Ramsay, Willcocks, Kerr, Lynch.
PEEL THUNDER: Goals – Thorne, Hancock 3; Lawler, Bell, Randall, Western, Middleton, Cullen, Henry 2; Schofield, Howlett, Banfield, Crowden.
Best – Schofield, Thorne, Duman, Hancock, Randall, Western, Blakely, Merrett.

interestingly both went late in their draft years too.

Yep. Take the risk and sometimes be rewarded. Neither of these blokes were nearly 20 and 58 kilos though.

Hope the kid makes it. Would love to be wrong. But both Harvey and Daniel prosper/ed through their unbelievable vision/disposal and intangibles. Thorne isn't showing that yet. We'll probably get a better look this weekend as the standard lifts.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Schoenfeld (hopefully playing inside, not as a winger) and Greg Clark go from the sandgropers. Jack Hayes and Nunn from us.

I do wonder if we'll look at Sam Lowson if we're targeting a small forward. Kicked 5.6 and averaging 12 touches in his 3 games for Coburg so far this year. Was with Woodville last year, certainly looked to have good chemistry with Rowe at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did the ladder predictor... I reckon we may be 16th (pick 3) for the MS draft. Our percentage falls under Hawks due to expected heavy losses versus Eagles and Tigers.

1620949164072.png

So, at this point bombers, pies, norf and hawks are below us on the ladder..

Anyone know if one or two of these clubs hasnt even got a spare list spot?..

I actually fully expect the hawks and essendo to be above us in the ladder come mid season draft time.. but the pies might be below us especialky if we beat them at AO just before the mid season point..

Could we end up with pick 2 in the MSD?...

Nort soumd like they are gonna pick the ruck/forward lad..

We get our pick of everything else available.

This young aboriginal lad thats a small forward sounds exciting and nicksy did say they are looking at a small forward type..

Have a look at the ladder predictor available on the AFL website.

Hawks' % is so poor that they'd have to win North AND GC to make it above us. We are a lock to lose the last 3 games.

We are most like to finish 4th from bottom, with a chance to finish 3rd bottom.

It's good to hear Nicks say we may use up to 3 picks in the MS draft. We shouldn't pass up any recruiting opportunities during a rebuild, even if the chances of finding a best-22 player are slim.

2019 Mid-Season Draft:
19 Selections / Only 4 remain on AFL lists... Gardner (WB), Snelling (Ess), Pickett (Rich) & Noble (Coll).

No to Tyrone Thorne, please.

Players like Boomer and Daniel come around once in a generation. Thorne isn't it. He'd be the lightest player in the league by >10kgs. It's a bloody safety hazard. Hurt factor/speed not enough despite smooth moving/pressure/work rate.
Does this “once in a generation” theory of yours strictly stick to it only being one in every generation.. meaning there is absolutely no chance at all there could be two in the one generation..

Or is a bit like a “100 year storm event” occurrance?.. where you can actually have more than 1 “100 year storm event” in any 100 year period?..

I'd be happy to pick up Thorne and have a look at him. This mid season draft is the perfect time to have a go and see what he does.
Me too, it's a free hit, either way we need a decent small pressure forward that can offer speed, agility, goal sense with elite pressure, only McAdam offers that of our current group and that's only when he's firing.

There look to be 3 ideal candidates Tyrone Thorne, Bailey Lambert and Sam Lowson available to choose from.

I'd also like us to look at Mitch ONeill also now he appears to be over his serious ankle issues, building nicely for the Panthers the longer the season goes on, outside class with speed and exceptional delivery by foot. Worth remembering he's a dual U18's All Australian in 2018/19 before the serious ankle issues intervened and never really got going in his 1 year at the WCE.

Boomer Harvey and Caleb Daniel. The only elite short people of our generation.
Sydney got a new short light dude in the draft that was going well earlier in the year. I haven't followed AFL much for the last 4 or 5 weeks so I dont if he kept going well or not.

Me too, it's a free hit, either way we need a decent small pressure forward that can offer speed, agility, goal sense with elite pressure, only McAdam offers that of our current group and that's only when he's firing.

There look to be 3 ideal candidates Tyrone Thorne, Bailey Lambert and Sam Lowson available to choose from.

I'd also like us to look at Mitch ONeill also now he appears to be over his serious ankle issues, building nicely for the Panthers the longer the season goes on, outside class with speed and exceptional delivery by foot. Worth remembering he's a dual U18's All Australian in 2018/19 before the serious ankle issues intervened and never really got going in his 1 year at the WCE.
Would the Tasmanian kid be your 3rd choice?

Would the Tasmanian kid be your 3rd choice?
I'd take one of the small forwards, Mitch O'Neill (also a Tassie lad) and Ollie Davis given we've already committed to him via the SANFL.

Somehow I just can't see us looking at a "developing" Ruck at this time though I think it's a real list need.

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Mid season draft (June 2nd)

Back