• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd take one of the small forwards, Mitch O'Neill (also a Tassie lad) and Ollie Davis given we've already committed to him via the SANFL.

Somehow I just can't see us looking at a "developing" Ruck at this time though I think it's a real list need.
Do you think we have committed to taking Davis in the mid season draft, or was it more an opportunity for him to come over and play in a better league?

Do you think we have committed to taking Davis in the mid season draft, or was it more an opportunity for him to come over and play in a better league?
I don't know if we've committed to him but I'd be confident Hamish has thrown him the opportunity because honestly there were lesser performed mids taken in the draft and obviously he would have had approaches from SANFL teams like the other Tassie lad that surprisingly missed out Jackson Callow given he was originally touted as a big chance to land on an AFL list at the draft. Seems like a Lachie Murphy repeat to me.

I reacon we should grab the lad and give him a run.

Elite Speed, tonnes of pressure, x-factor, seems to find plenty of the ball and knows where the goals are...

Whats to lose?.. we haven’t got many small forward stocks at the moment..
Not many that offer the "complete" package of small forward traits anyhow. McAdam on a good day the only one.

Does this “once in a generation” theory of yours strictly stick to it only being one in every generation.. meaning there is absolutely no chance at all there could be two in the one generation..

Or is a bit like a “100 year storm event” occurrance?.. where you can actually have more than 1 “100 year storm event” in any 100 year period?..

I mean clearly it's possible to have more than one at any given time. But it's about looking at the data we have available on what works and succeeds at AFL level. How I've got there is a bit like this

2 players 5'9 or lower on AFL lists. Of those 32, most are small forwards. Zorko, Daniel, L Baker, Prestia and Budarick are the exceptions, with Bolton, Snelling, Colyer, I. Hill & Western having the ability to play higher up the ground.

The bulk of these players, especially the ones who have some semblance of midfield ability are 5'9. Only 10 5'8 or lower. Of those 10, 5 are good, 5 are unproven. All bar Daniel and Baker are forward players with shittones of IQ/craft.

At Thorne's height, there is one AFL listed player. 3cm above and there are 5. 6cm above and there are 10.

So it becomes pretty clear - players at 5'6 who succeed account for about 0.1% of AFL listed players currently. Those around his range do either possess a freakish and innate ability to impact forward of the ball (Tippa, Pickett, and what I suspect Durdin, Rowe, Spargo, Western and Spicer were picked hoping they could do) or have several elite attributes - Daniel with his IQ/footskills, Baker/Daniels with their hardness/IQ.

If Thorne is going to succeed, he's got a couple of options at his height

- Go down the 'elite forward IQ path' - and become that Kozzy Pickett/Tippa type. But there are plenty of blokes in the league right now who've been drafted to do that and haven't.

- Go down the 'elite intangibles path' - it's a bit more open, but Baker and Daniels are both aggressive, fearless and tidy/clean footballers. Thorne at 58 kilos is miles off from being able to do that. He's 20, he's 2-3 pre seasons from having the body to do that. And I'm not sure the kicking is enough to be a Caleb Daniel

Of course, he could just forge his own way and be his own player. But based on his attitributes, he doens't seem special enough. The best comparison from him of the 'midget fleet' is probably Ben Cavarra. The golden boy of places like this. Deserved a shot on 'body of work' - Morrish medal. 3x VFL B&F, prolific accumulator at state league level. 173cm.

And what's he done at AFL level? Can't play as a mid, and as a forward seems very vanilla.

That said, I don't see an issue with taking the flyer on him and having a crack. It's 50k and nothing to lose. I just wonder if there are better flyers to have a look at with a higher probability of success. He probably couldn't be much worse than what we've got - work rate is clearly there.

I mean clearly it's possible to have more than one at any given time. But it's about looking at the data we have available on what works and succeeds at AFL level. How I've got there is a bit like this

2 players 5'9 or lower on AFL lists. Of those 32, most are small forwards. Zorko, Daniel, L Baker, Prestia and Budarick are the exceptions, with Bolton, Snelling, Colyer, I. Hill & Western having the ability to play higher up the ground.

The bulk of these players, especially the ones who have some semblance of midfield ability are 5'9. Only 10 5'8 or lower. Of those 10, 5 are good, 5 are unproven. All bar Daniel and Baker are forward players with shittones of IQ/craft.

At Thorne's height, there is one AFL listed player. 3cm above and there are 5. 6cm above and there are 10.

So it becomes pretty clear - players at 5'6 who succeed account for about 0.1% of AFL listed players currently. Those around his range do either possess a freakish and innate ability to impact forward of the ball (Tippa, Pickett, and what I suspect Durdin, Rowe, Spargo, Western and Spicer were picked hoping they could do) or have several elite attributes - Daniel with his IQ/footskills, Baker/Daniels with their hardness/IQ.

If Thorne is going to succeed, he's got a couple of options at his height

- Go down the 'elite forward IQ path' - and become that Kozzy Pickett/Tippa type. But there are plenty of blokes in the league right now who've been drafted to do that and haven't.

- Go down the 'elite intangibles path' - it's a bit more open, but Baker and Daniels are both aggressive, fearless and tidy/clean footballers. Thorne at 58 kilos is miles off from being able to do that. He's 20, he's 2-3 pre seasons from having the body to do that. And I'm not sure the kicking is enough to be a Caleb Daniel

Of course, he could just forge his own way and be his own player. But based on his attitributes, he doens't seem special enough. The best comparison from him of the 'midget fleet' is probably Ben Cavarra. The golden boy of places like this. Deserved a shot on 'body of work' - Morrish medal. 3x VFL B&F, prolific accumulator at state league level. 173cm.

And what's he done at AFL level? Can't play as a mid, and as a forward seems very vanilla.

That said, I don't see an issue with taking the flyer on him and having a crack. It's 50k and nothing to lose. I just wonder if there are better flyers to have a look at with a higher probability of success. He probably couldn't be much worse than what we've got - work rate is clearly there.
I can only see 3 I'd have any interest in Tyrone Thorne, Bailey Lambert and Sam Lowson though I have heard Jake Tarca has some interest from a mid Season draft point of view and obviously Stengle won't be considered.

If we go for 2 or more in Mid Draft I hope they go for a player that can help out now and with other 1 or 2 lets look at players that might have that X factor we desperately need .
Maybe Thorne or ONeill are 2 that might provide that .
But like to see a tallish mobile forward that will be necessary with Lynch and Tex in their twighlight.
Not sure without too much background though we need Ollie Davis as seems like the inside tackling type player we seem to have few of.

I’m new here, not much to add, really not that wise about football, however I’d just like to add an observation.
Looks like we may have pick 2 or 3 in the mid season draft. We should really target the next best available ruckman. This is all about gaining draft currency. Rucks can be in short supply and we are going to need all the currency we can get if we are going after Rankine in 18 months time. In fact taking a ruckman on 18 months contract just increases his currency value in my opinion.
Some say we are building towards a premiership in 5 years. I like to think more like 2 to 3. Whatever you think, this does not mean we need a player to fill an immediate gap in our team list. We are not trying to win our next game.
In that light I reckon our 2nd pick should go on Jackson Callow(the real one, I wish I was 195cm tall!) if he is overlooked by teams who are looking for players to fit specific needs. My reasoning is that if Billy Frampton and Elliot Himelberg are good enough to be making the team then Jackson Callow could be the MKII version with perhaps more upside in the near future.
I would save our 3rd pick to leave room for all the shenanigans that occur around the main draft or maybe throw it at a smokey in the mid season who is so distant that he may as well have been a whale fart.
I know these picks won’t please everyone but is there a possibility that we really do come last this season validating Cane Corne’s call that we are the worst Adelaide side ever(even though we obviously are not based on effort alone, not to mention potential in the kids). Could we get Jason Horne. Dream big Crows fans. Heck we could even ask for a priority pick LMAO. In that case without doubt the AFL would come up with some lame comment like “it has been decided that the allocation of priority picks will no longer be allowed as it gives a distinct disadvantage to other underperforming teams”. w***ers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we take anyone in the mid season draft, can we keep them long term without other clubs getting a crack at them?

I have lost track of this.

If so, given we are in rebuild mode, we should maximise it's use as it's a free hit... & we get to try before committing long term.

If we take anyone in the mid season draft, can we keep them long term without other clubs getting a crack at them?

I have lost track of this.

If so, given we are in rebuild mode, we should maximise it's use as it's a free hit... & we get to try before committing long term.
There are 2 options, a 6 month or 18 month contract with the player having the option to stipulate their terms when the nominate.

There are 2 options, a 6 month or 18 month contract with the player having the option to stipulate their terms when the nominate.
So if we give them either a 6 month or 18 month contract, so we have 1st dibbs to re-sigj them?

Eg. Noble still on the Pies list.

So if we give them either a 6 month or 18 month contract, so we have 1st dibbs to re-sigj them?

Eg. Noble still on the Pies list.
Once they've signed nothing is stopping us from having them agree to an extension.

Once they've signed nothing is stopping us from having them agree to an extension.
Thanks - so it's a free hit.

So we should sign our maximum number, even if some are only 6 months.

Has Matt Crouch going in for season-ending surgery been confirmed by the club? I can't see anything on it, on the AFC website.

If so, then that would free up a 4th position for the MSD, should we choose to exercise it.

The club is saying 1-2 weeks

Injury list, as of Tuesday, May 11:

Luke Pedlar (groin) 1-2 weeks
Matt Crouch (groin) 1-2 weeks
Ned McHenry (concussion) concussion protocol
Daniel Talia (foot) 4-5 weeks
Lachlan Gollant (finger) 5-6 weeks
Lachlan Murphy (ankle) 8-10 weeks
Tom Lynch (toe) 8-10 weeks
Mitch Hinge (shoulder) season
Wayne Milera (knee) season

Five players recommended/mentioned in Matt Turner's Advertiser article this morning.

Says we are considering taking two players on June 2.

"Polished Bunch for Crows to Consider"
Eamon Wilkinson (South)
Hayden Sampson (South)
Zane Williams (Eagles)
Corey Preston (Eastern Ranges)
Oliver Davis... "it is believed he looms as more of an outside chance to be taken"

Thanks - so it's a free hit.

So we should sign our maximum number, even if some are only 6 months.
We should be signing as many as possible, but only if they've nominated for 6 months. We'll be having enough trouble meeting the AFL's minimum ND selections as it is, without signing these kids to 2022.

The club is saying 1-2 weeks

Injury list, as of Tuesday, May 11:

Luke Pedlar (groin) 1-2 weeks
Matt Crouch (groin) 1-2 weeks
Ned McHenry (concussion) concussion protocol
Daniel Talia (foot) 4-5 weeks
Lachlan Gollant (finger) 5-6 weeks
Lachlan Murphy (ankle) 8-10 weeks
Tom Lynch (toe) 8-10 weeks
Mitch Hinge (shoulder) season
Wayne Milera (knee) season
Yes, that was the update on Tuesday.

There were other reports (yesterday or Thursday) here, suggesting that they'd sent him off for surgery and he was gone for the season. There's nothing on the AFC website to confirm this, which is why I was asking if it had been confirmed - or just the usual scum posters looking for a way to bag the club again.

Yes, that was the update on Tuesday.

There were other reports (yesterday or Thursday) here, suggesting that they'd sent him off for surgery and he was gone for the season. There's nothing on the AFC website to confirm this, which is why I was asking if it had been confirmed - or just the usual scum posters looking for a way to bag the club again.

Matts injury is starting to look very similar to Brads groin injury.
Rest for half the season and then go in for surgery and then write off the whole season.
I am starting to worry about Pedlar's groin injury now too.

Five players recommended/mentioned in Matt Turner's Advertiser article this morning.

Says we are considering taking two players on June 2.

"Polished Bunch for Crows to Consider"
Eamon Wilkinson (South)
Hayden Sampson (South)
Zane Williams (Eagles)
Corey Preston (Eastern Ranges)
Oliver Davis... "it is believed he looms as more of an outside chance to be taken"

Sadly, Tyson Stengle (on field) is a far better option than all of them.

Get the feeling he gets another shot elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Mid season draft (June 2nd)

Back