• trade back in with a future second for someone else

• only take MM and keep the other spot for PSD/rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our draft haul:

Pick 17 - Max Michalanney (matched F/S)
Pick 43 - Billy Dowling
Pick 50 - Hugh Bond

Rookie Pick 5 - Andrew McPherson (re-listed)
Rookie Pick 21 - Paul Seedsman (re-listed)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love for us to be proactive and start having some Crows mouthpieces in the media lobbying for a Priority pick for us if North gets one, even if they awarded us the ability to match a Keeler bid anywhere that would be a huge win.
Or at least it will stop north from getting one.

Does he project as a decent neat and tidy SANFL midfielder in your opinion or could he play higher?
Been watching Nick since year 7 footy at Pembroke.

Always looked to me to be that SANFL ceiling. He’s given himself a gap year this year to do nothing else but focus on his fitness and conditioning to give best chance of being drafted.

What I’m seeing this season now is bigger possessions numbers AND most important some strength at the stoppage to break away.

This time last would have said no but now I think definitely a chance. Has worked very hard to improve his game this year.

Been watching Nick since year 7 footy at Pembroke.

Always looked to me to be that SANFL ceiling. He’s given himself a gap year this year to do nothing else but focus on his fitness and conditioning to give best chance of being drafted.

What I’m seeing this season now is bigger possessions numbers AND most important some strength at the stoppage to break away.

This time last would have said no but now I think definitely a chance. Has worked very hard to improve his game this year.

Spoke to someone at Sturt about him and they said similar to your initial thoughts. I wonder if consensus has changed after his good season? Seems to be outperforming some who have been ranked higher.

FWIW they also like a kid Noah Roberts-Thompson who is in the Under 16 age group. Though I see he didn't make the state U16 squad. The last Sturt player this pundit flagged with me who didn't get much of a look in with underage state pathways was... Jordan Dawson

Spoke to someone at Sturt about him and they said similar to your initial thoughts. I wonder if consensus has changed after his good season? Seems to be outperforming some who have been ranked higher.

FWIW they also like a kid Noah Roberts-Thompson who is in the Under 16 age group. Though I see he didn't make the state U16 squad. The last Sturt player this pundit flagged with me who didn't get much of a look in with underage state pathways was... Jordan Dawson
Pretty sure Noah is another Pembroke lad. They’ve been in the school footy wilderness for a while now. Would be funny if they produce 2 in quick succession.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Half time, lucky to that close.

WA 7.6
SA 5.3

46 marks to 23 tells the story, far better spread and run

Barnett getting beaten in ruck by underager Edwards, time to give Verrall a decent run in ruck

Indigenous small midfielder Darcy Jones a very special talent, lightning quick and evasive.

Not impressed at all by Phillipou today. Doesnt look like the explosive type we need, the way he moves reminds me of Jarryd Lyons.Playing injured perhaps?

Kobe Ryan has been very good, again though, not sure he is the classy type we need.

Michalanney has been serviceable.

Moir is classy.

Not impressed at all by Phillipou today. Doesnt look like the explosive type we need, the way he moves reminds me of Jarryd Lyons.Playing injured perhaps?

Kobe Ryan has been very good, again though, not sure he is the classy type we need.

Michalanney has been serviceable.

Moir is classy.
Phillipou hurt his back last week, might still be affecting him, still kicked a nice goal from 50.

I heard one of the radio stations the other day discussing Melbourne's rebuild, and how their premierships side was put together.

Their premiership team started forming back in the 2013 draft and then each year they continued to add to it each year.
2013 - Christian Salem, Harmes, Hunt (Emerg)
2014 - Petracca, Brayshaw, Neal-Bullen
2015 - Oliver
2016 - No premiership players drafted
2017 - Spargo, Fritsch, Petty
2018 - Sparrow, Jordon (Emerg)
2019 - Jackson, Pickett, Rivers
2020 - Bowey

Then they traded in Melksham, Hibberd, Lever, May, Langdon and Brown over this same period.

So over a 7 year period, they drafted or traded in 19 of their 22 players in their premiership side. The only 2 players that came in to the club outside of this period were Gawn and Viney. And every year they nailed the draft, except for 2016. They didn't miss with their first selection in any of those seasons, and they constantly added quality players through the trade period.

To build a side capable of winning the flag, you can't have too many misses in the draft, especially with your early picks. The fact that we have had plenty of misses over the last few years, just means we keep delaying the goal of putting together a team capable of challenging for a flag.

Looking back at our draft history over the last 5 years, it wasn't really until 3 years ago where we started to add some players who could potentially be part of that side, 2019 wasn't too bad with Schoenberg, Gollant and Keays all possibilities. 2020 we brought in Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Cook and Berry and then 2021 we brought in Rachelle, Soligo, Taylor, Nankervis and Parnell. So 2019 draft is probably the point at where our premiership team is starting to be formed, if we manage to bring in quality players every year through the draft and via trading, we should be looking like we can challenge by about 2026.
Where we really stuffed up was in 2016 and 2018. We didnt get anything in those drafts and we could have.

Where we really stuffed up was in 2016 and 2018. We didnt get anything in those drafts and we could have.
We got Butts out of 2018, but I definitely get what you mean, given the picks we had

Thank god Fog has come on this year as well, otherwise we might've been saying the same about 2017

2019 looking disastrous at present too. Schoenberg might be able to turn it around but pretty bad other than that.

How tall is he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
186cm 77kg at pre-season measuring, every chance he rounds out at 190cm by next year, if you've watched him play before today it's his mercurial aerial ability for his size that opens eyes plus the fact he's proficient off both legs. Won't surprise me if the end game is more outside mid/wing given his size.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft Discussion

Back