Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 33!, 1 BIG FISH ALERT last October 4th) (7 confirmed! 11 Busted!)

Will Clayton Oliver join the Adelaide Crows?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

CROW SET TO REMAIN GROUNDED

Adelaide midfielder Matt Crouch is set to remain with the Crows, with a new deal reportedly tabled.

It’s a dramatic turnaround from 12 months ago when Crouch was reportedly shopped around as he spent the majority of the year in the SANFL.

Now there’s growing belief the free agent will put pen to paper on a new deal at the club for 2024 and beyond.

“I’ve been here for 10 years, I have a pretty settled life here,” Crouch said last month.

“I have loved the place for all this time and it has been really good.”

The Advertiser reported “up to four” rival clubs were “showing serious interest” in Crouch last season, but a deal was never done.

His 2023 season started with a setback, breaking his leg back in March which kept him sidelined for the opening rounds.

Crouch was forced to bide his time in the SANFL on return, before getting the call up in Round 19 and impressing from there.

In the final five rounds of the season, Crouch dropped below 31 disposals only once as he showed coach Matthew Nicks and selectors he still has what it takes at AFL level.

There risk in everything, I just feel that he will be a good player but there will be better out there and honestly as much as we want Welsh. We desperately need midfielders to take us from an average team to a premiership threat. If Rash, Pedler and Soligo improve in the next year, that’s great but if not? We will need a top midfield prospect to be the point of difference.

Big risk, big reward

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We don't even need a top midfield prospect to take the next step. we just need someone who can win four or five clearances whilst accumulating, and without being as ridiculously flawed as Keays or Sloane. Soligo is likely our best hope there for '24, seeing he's the most advanced of our midfield prospects, but even then we've had some real issues with our midfielders transitioning from good prospect to top-line player over the last few years.

Dawson is the point of difference. Find that and we can really begin to muck around with Rachele as a mid/forward as well who also shown he's capable of being that guy.

Also the thing with top midfield prospects - it usually takes them close to half a decade to transition from a top prospect to top player. Hitting someone who can do it year one is nothing more than dumb luck.

Last edited:

CROW SET TO REMAIN GROUNDED

Adelaide midfielder Matt Crouch is set to remain with the Crows, with a new deal reportedly tabled.

It’s a dramatic turnaround from 12 months ago when Crouch was reportedly shopped around as he spent the majority of the year in the SANFL.

Now there’s growing belief the free agent will put pen to paper on a new deal at the club for 2024 and beyond.

“I’ve been here for 10 years, I have a pretty settled life here,” Crouch said last month.

“I have loved the place for all this time and it has been really good.”

The Advertiser reported “up to four” rival clubs were “showing serious interest” in Crouch last season, but a deal was never done.

His 2023 season started with a setback, breaking his leg back in March which kept him sidelined for the opening rounds.

Crouch was forced to bide his time in the SANFL on return, before getting the call up in Round 19 and impressing from there.

In the final five rounds of the season, Crouch dropped below 31 disposals only once as he showed coach Matthew Nicks and selectors he still has what it takes at AFL level.
Good news..

getting real worried about losing McAdam though.. there is literally zero coming from the club and nothing being spoken in the media.

it will be absolutely pathetic if we retain that complete hack in Murphy and lose Mcadam.

Mcadam is worth 10 times more than murphy.

every drop of Murphy’s new salary shouldve been added to McAdam’s current salary and given to McAdam in his new contract… and murphy shot from a cannon into oblivion.

murphy is hot garbage. Should never have been played again this season after those diabolically shithouse games he played against the Pies and Dons.

It will likely move out to at least pick 6 after McKay compo and Walter bid.
Yeah, but those academy and F/s picks really shouldnt be included in the maths… just actual live picks.

its will be pick 5 after the afl give those pathetic north scrubbers and generous hand crank.

still a shitload better pick than the F1 we should have next season which could also blow out by a couple of picks due to compo/pp’s (what if WC have another year next year like their year this year)

Good news..

getting real worried about losing McAdam though.. there is literally zero coming from the club and nothing being spoken in the media.

it will be absolutely pathetic if we retain that complete hack in Murphy and lose Mcadam.

Mcadam is worth 10 times more than murphy.

every drop of Murphy’s new salary shouldve been added to McAdam’s current salary and given to McAdam in his new contract… and murphy shot from a cannon into oblivion.

murphy is hot garbage. Should never have been played again this season after those diabolically shithouse games he played against the Pies and Dons.
McAdam offers our forward line a real point of difference and he should have been seen as a must keep even with Welsh coming end of next year as Welsh will need a time to get his fitness base up. So even a 2 year deal should have been an automatic one and the first one signed sealed and delivered.

If we lose him for a bag of chips and as you say, retain Sloane and Murphy...ugly stuff

Yeah, but those academy and F/s picks really shouldnt be included in the maths… just actual live picks.

its will be pick 5 after the afl give those pathetic north scrubbers and generous hand crank.

still a shitload better pick than the F1 we should have next season which could also blow out by a couple of picks due to compo/pp’s (what if WC have another year next year like their year this year)

Can also trade out our future first for a player either this year or next year.

Remember when the Rankine trade went through and many were rejoicing not only because we’d got a quality player, but because we thought it would lead to players like Murphy never being selected in the starting 22 again? LOL. His invaluable courage though

We don't even need a top midfield prospect to take the next step. we just need someone who can win four or five clearances whilst accumulating, and without being as ridiculously flawed as Keays or Sloane. Soligo is likely our best hope there for '24, seeing he's the most advanced of our midfield prospects, but even then we've had some real issues with our midfielders transitioning from good prospect to top-line player over the last few years.

Dawson is the point of difference. Find that and we can really begin to muck around with Rachele as a mid/forward as well who also shown he's capable of being that guy.

Also the thing with top midfield prospects - it usually takes them close to half a decade to transition from a top prospect to top player. Hitting someone who can do it year one is nothing more than dumb luck.

If no one is available that we think will become elite, move our picks into next year is all I’m saying. If they think we get a top prospect, get him.

Remember when the Rankine trade went through and many were rejoicing not only because we’d got a quality player, but because we thought it would lead to players like Murphy never being selected in the starting 22 again? LOL. His invaluable courage though
He’s got courage in spades.. no doubt there.

rest of his game is ordinary and for a senior player he goes MIA far too often.

If no one is available that we think will become elite, move our picks into next year is all I’m saying. If they think we get a top prospect, get him.

We cant afford to put it off for yet another year..

we are behind the 8 ball as it stands now. A draftee mid is still going to take 2-3 years to start hitting his straps as it is..

next year anything could happen with Tyler Welsh which adds doubts to any “lets trade into next year” thoughts..

all in this year.. try and get pick 4 off the suns. Grab the best mid available at that pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do not want a kpd with our first pick. Surely there's enough evidence for them now that this is not a wise move.

Davis
Talia
Lever

All pretty good

Melbourne premiership side - traded May in for a pick 5 and Lever in for two first rounders.

McAsey was a poor pick. So was Galluci, Jones for a pick 9 mid. Sometimes they get it wrong

Davis
Talia
Lever

All pretty good

Melbourne premiership side - traded May in for a pick 5 and Lever in for two first rounders.

McAsey was a poor pick. So was Galluci, Jones for a pick 9 mid. Sometimes they get it wrong

May and Lever were proven KPD, not the same as using a high draft pick on an unknown.

Talia and Lever around the 13 & 14 mark weren’t they?

Now you going to list all the KPD that were obtained cheaply?

And face us having to kick the can to '25 in case Walsh booms as a F/S?

This just seems like a year where if you can't woo an expensive player over, just have a quiet draft period where you take your picks, and move on. Who knows, we might even draft a developing ruck, which would be novel. Or a sign of the upcoming apocalypse.

Courage is invaluable. Especially in bottom of the line up types who are primarily there to cover flaws in the list build and let your elite players shine. It's quite common a moment of bravery can shift momentum in a match.

Ironically to all of those thoughts, what no one expected was Murphy developing into a quality player in his own right*, being that solid and inexpensive system fit to a side that desperately needs those types in a forward line that we've over-invested in. After all, Rankine, Rachele, Thilthorpe and Fogarty are all going to (or do) cost a pretty penny to keep. On top of that, we're facing a Pedlar extension next which could be pretty beefy in its own right if he continues on with his form this year, if we want to keep him long-term... and a certain F/S we might be looking at adding next year if he has a good senior year.

At the moment, Murphy just seems like the right player at the right time and all that jazz. He'll be on a short leash, owing to his status in the squad, but whilst he can remain around a 15 disp/3 marks/3.6 I50s/4.6 ground ball gets/2.2 clearances/0.5 goals/0.6 assists/1 score launch (5 involvements)/3 tackles/15.3 pressure acts (his stat line for the year btw), he'll last a long time. Especially in a side that remains in the top 4 for points for, and boasts a significant amount of scoring option - which is how Adelaide is set-up to be for the next decade.

* Including myself - I thought the lad would fade out without a whimper coming into the year, and I have a lot of time for footballers who are willing to fight tooth, nail and claw to make a career.

I wouldn't be against a kpd with a top 10 pick if there wasn't a stand out mid available. They'd just have to be very very good. Excellent hands, very good 1v1 and good skills. Think Jeremy McGovern potential.

Anything less and it's pretty clear that you can find them with later picks and rookie picks. Quality mids and forwards are different.

I wouldn't be against a kpd with a top 10 pick if there wasn't a stand out mid available. They'd just have to be very very good. Excellent hands, very good 1v1 and good skills. Think Jeremy McGovern potential.

Anything less and it's pretty clear that you can find them with later picks and rookie picks. Quality mids and forwards are different.
O'Sullivan could be a KPF or KPD super athletic and versatile could even be a prototype tall Winger

May and Lever were proven KPD, not the same as using a high draft pick on an unknown.

Talia and Lever around the 13 & 14 mark weren’t they?

Now you going to list all the KPD that were obtained cheaply?
For those interested, here’s a list of the top 15 Key Defenders according to the AFL Player Ratings, and also what their current clubs got them for:

D. Moore - Pick 9

H. Andrews - Pick 61

S. Taylor - Pick 28

J. Weitering - Pick 1

S. May - traded for Pick 6

C. Wilkie - Rookie Draft

J. Lever - traded for two late 1sts

A. Aliir - traded for 2nd round pick

N. Balta - Pick 25

T. Barass - Pick 43

B. Cox - Pick 41

C. Ballard - Pick 42

B. Hardwick - Pick 44

J. Buckley - Rookie Draft

J. McGovern - Rookie Draft

So 4 of the top 7 cost their clubs first round picks, but the rest cost the clubs next to nothing really…

Why are we lizard braining into thinking that because McAsey didn't work out (for many, MANY reasons) it is now illegal to draft a first round key defender? Didn't Mac Andrew almost tear us to pieces last time we played Gold Coast?

By all means I'd prefer we used our first pick elsewhere BTW, just think people are overreacting.
Its not so much McAsey its well ok look at it this way have alook at the AA Back 6 and apart from Moore where did they get picked up,

B: James Sicily (56) (Hawthorn), Callum Wilkie (Rookie Draft) (St Kilda), Tom Stewart (40)(Geelong)

HB: Jack Sinclair (Rookie Draft) (St Kilda), Darcy Moore (Collingwood), Dan Houston(Rookie Draft)(Port)

For me the problem with taking a KPD in the first round is not that they are not worth the price, as many in that list are top 5 players for their clubs, but more that they take 5 years to develop. It feels like you are wasting 4 or 5 years of the rest of your lists best footy.

Melbourne did it perfectly bringing in 2 AA key backs after they had developed so that their best footy corresponds with 10 years of Petracca and Oliver at their best. Same deal for rucks.

our problem is there doesn’t seem to be an obvious midfield gun this year at our pick, so trade table seem the obvious answer.

For me the problem with taking a KPD in the first round is not that they are not worth the price, as many in that list are top 5 players for their clubs, but more that they take 5 years to develop. It feels like you are wasting 4 or 5 years of the rest of your lists best footy.

Melbourne did it perfectly bringing in 2 AA key backs after they had developed so that their best footy corresponds with 10 years of Petracca and Oliver at their best. Same deal for rucks.

our problem is there doesn’t seem to be an obvious midfield gun this year at our pick, so trade table seem the obvious answer.

It's not just that, there are question marks around what would be available midfield wise even at GC's pick.

Then, is O'Sullivan even going to be there at our pick?

Sam Petresvski Seton is on the list of unsigned Eagles that Kornes said shouldn't be resigned. Is he really that far off it or is that just another shock jock Kane-ism?

Not saying we should grab him, just that I didn't think a former pick 6, 25 year old with 120+ games experience is an obvious list casualty for a team/List thats as low down as West Coast.

Sam Petresvski Seton is on the list of unsigned Eagles that Kornes said shouldn't be resigned. Is he really that far off it or is that just another shock jock Kane-ism?

Not saying we should grab him, just that I didn't think a former pick 6, 25 year old with 120+ games experience is an obvious list casualty for a team/List thats as low down as West Coast.
He's their equivalent of Atkins in 2020. Soft as butter.

It was either Murphy or McHenry.... McHenry should be delisted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back