2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks Glen.

That's staggering. When you consider $305k in 1999 would be basically double in today's money...

I'd have thought increased concessions for Crows and Port would lead to upgraded salary caps, rather than the other way?

I'd be interested to know how this compares to WAFL clubs too. It definitely seems like the AFL need to provide more funding.
The Crows and Port don't need to pay for a full list, though. So it should be less.

The weakest clubs set the SANFL salary cap.

What can they afford to pay?

That's the cap for everyone.
not all 8 traditional clubs have the same salary cap. westies have been on a reduced salary cap for years, what it is exactly im not sure. south and glenelg have had the same in the past too.

not all 8 traditional clubs have the same salary cap. westies have been on a reduced salary cap for years, what it is exactly im not sure. south and glenelg have had the same in the past too.
Same clerical breach as Norwood back in 2012 I think.

Not sure why theyd still be punished for that though

Same clerical breach as Norwood back in 2012 I think.

Not sure why theyd still be punished for that though
Likely due to not turning a minimum profit I would think. I might be wrong on exact figures but SANFL clubs have to turn a minimum of $50k profit each year, if they don’t the SANFL restricts their salary cap.

The SANFL Salary Cap in 2019 was $400k.

Reduced to $0 in 2020 and then $210k in 2021 due to Covid.

The salary cap had raised to $345k this year and was to be $360k in 2026 and $375k in 2027 according to an article in The Advertiser in November 2023.

After the recent review of AFL player lists for Port and Crows in the SANFL, the salary cap for 2025 has been reduced to $295k.

The salary cap was $400k back in 2008, reduced to $360k in 2012.

It was $305k from 1999 to 2005.

As a comparison, the AFL cap was $4.25 million in 1999. It will be $17.76 million in 2025 and by 2027 will be $18.44 million.

The rich get richer...
That's a bit sad then, isn't it? You want a decent 2nd tier competition, everywhere in the country.

This is one of those trickle down things that doesn't happen in reality, right?

It is no wonder that average SANFL players go to the Ammo’s and Country Leagues. I believe the salary cap for these clubs is currently around $75,000* with a restriction on marquis players earning more than $1,000 per match (perhaps another poster knows the exact amounts).

With the top SANFL players taking up most of the cap, solid SANFLplayers are probably earning a lot less than marquis players in country leagues.

* obviously Gaza had a much, much bigger cap for a few years 😁.

A lot of country clubs have a bigger cap, they just dont have loads of disgruntled players looking to move and not getting cleared like Gaza did.

Being a SANFL ressies player is a tough grind.

Stranger Things Laugh GIF by Emmys

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back