Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

so your happy to run with Blanck at Full Back, Scrim at CHB, Sic 3rd tall, Battle 4th tall and no room in the backline for Weddle, DGB, McCabe, Serong, Phillips and Frost?

This time last year we thought Ratugolea was a good player.

Weddle moves up the ground.
Blanck and Frost compete for 1 spot.
DGB and Phillips are either at Box Hill or elsewhere.
Serong solid depth.

McCabe the interesting one. How quickly can he come on?

We dodged a bullet on Ratugolea and our interest in him still remains the only questionable attempt McKenzie and Sam have made re: List management IMO.

so your happy to run with Blanck at Full Back, Scrim at CHB, Sic 3rd tall, Battle 4th tall and no room in the backline for Weddle, DGB, McCabe, Serong, Phillips and Frost?

This time last year we thought Ratugolea was a good player.

Frost is 31 this year. Sicily is 30 in January. Blanck is zero guarantee of being an AFL level KPD. DGB is no guarantee of being on the list next year - nor is Phillips.

Is it really absurd that we would be chasing a quality 193cm defender who is only going to be 26 at the start of next season?

Think the club are still chasing a key forward based on what Rob McCartney said a few weeks ago. And that was before Lewis did his ACL.

Scaife looks promising, but 30 as a low baseline is far from guaranteed. Even Lewis has only hit 30 goals a season twice in 8 years.
Is Zurhaar a KP forward though? He's 190cm. He certainly doesn't play like one. Huffs and puffs a lot, but I'm not convinced he is a player that we need to be chasing too hard.

His highest goal tallies so far are 34 from 19 games in 2022, and 31 from 20 games in 2021. Last year he kicked 20 from 16, and so far this season 24 from 15.

There is just something about him. One of my best mates is a North supporter, and he isn't a fan whatsoever either. Maybe that's clouding my judgement, but I'd rather develop the kids on our list or look for a true KPF.

Frost is 31 this year. Sicily is 30 in January. Blanck is zero guarantee of being an AFL level KPD. DGB is no guarantee of being on the list next year - nor is Phillips.

Is it really absurd that we would be chasing a quality 193cm defender who is only going to be 26 at the start of next season?
It’s the $5+ mill over 6 years that’s absurd.

At that salary he will be playing every game.
$3.5 mill over 5 years and let him fight for a spot would be much more reasonable.

$3.5 mill over 5 years and let him fight for a spot would be much more reasonable.

$750k won't get the deal done - simple as that. Free agents are always going to get overs - nature of the beast. And I don't think there's any doubt he would play every game, if fit, given his current output. We wouldn't be heavily chasing a free agent to have them play at Box Hill. Weddle isn't always going to be a defender. If he can release Weddle to run through the midfield, rest forward and cover in defence if needed then that's an excellent outcome for our side.

Is Zurhaar a KP forward though? He's 190cm. He certainly doesn't play like one. Huffs and puffs a lot, but I'm not convinced he is a player that we need to be chasing too hard.

His highest goal tallies so far are 34 from 19 games in 2022, and 31 from 20 games in 2021. Last year he kicked 20 from 16, and so far this season 24 from 15.

There is just something about him. One of my best mates is a North supporter, and he isn't a fan whatsoever either. Maybe that's clouding my judgement, but I'd rather develop the kids on our list or look for a true KPF.
I actually could take or leave him.

My point was more the idea we wouldn’t be chasing any key forwards. Club still see this as an area that needs work.

If you look at the Saints board, their supporters that watch him every week are saying pay him what ever he wants to keep him at the club.

If the Saints are prepared to pay close to what we are then that is the market.

I didn’t think my house was worth what I paid for it, but the person bidding against me proved me wrong. You pay what you have to if there is market competition which there is.

We don’t know that he is fully disgruntled so you gotta dangle the carrot to land him, I’m glad we are finally doing it after our previous arrogant attitude of they should just come to us because we’re Hawthorn. That attitude would make Roughs job impossible.

At his ability level he will be playing every game.

Player salaries will only keep going up with the new TV deals putting more money into the cap sheets every year

People like Mitch Cleary have reported that teams discuss needing to add 10% to a players value in free agency to get them out of a team so add the 10% to your $3.5m over 5 years and its getting close to the $5m over 6 years anyway

Add to that like Ned Ryerson said the fact that $750,000 wouldnt get it done.

At face value our backs look too stacked to be worrying about Battle but ...

I would say Frost has one more only and his role next year will depend on Blanck's recovery and form. They don't both play - we've moved past frosty apart from the role he is doing very well this year as a lock down defender.

So would put Battle more in the mix with Sicily, DGB, Weddle, Scrimshaw, Serong & McCabe. Of that group, he plays ahead of Serong and DGB who are depth if they stay and probably pushes Weddle further up the ground.

So then he is in the mix with Sic, McCabe and Scrimshaw. Thats probably one too many but (1) injuries, (2) McCabe is young and unproven and (3) sad to say but Sicily not around forever. The squeeze might be on at times but that is harly a bad thing.

If we can land him, he makes our list stronger and costs nothing apart from money. Isnt that exactly what we should be trying to do, not worrying about Serong not getting a go or Scrimshaw needing to stay hungry for his spot in the team.

Last edited:
Carlton were able to bring in players like Cerra Saad, Williams & Jack Martin on huge money and still have the ability to hold onto all of their stars.

Whatever the price is the price is, most important thing is getting Battle through the door.

Last edited:
Carlton were able to bring in players like Cerra Saad, Williams & Jack Martin on huge money and still have the ability to hold onto all of their stars.

Whatever the price is the price is, most important thing is getting Battle through the door.
So get the brown lunch bags ready? 😏 (or sneaky land deals if your Geelong)

Battle is a very good third tall defender. He wouldn't be brought in to compete or replace Frost as they are have very different strengths.

The fact he could be used as a swing man late in games is an added bonus. Though that's more of an after thought and not really a reason why I'd be keen on signing him.

In terms of the young defensive depth moving forward:

Weddle - I don't doubt that he would develop into one of the premier defenders, but his future may be destined further afield.

McCabe - maybe a few years away physically before he can take on KPF types. I suspect he will play across the half-back line anyway, and not be a deep defender. I think he would start out playing as a third tall

Serong - seems that he is better suited as a third tall defender at AFL level. Probably too good for VFL level, but maybe not quite up to AFL level. Especially if he is being asked to play at CHB.

DGB - who knows if he is on our list next season. He has some AFL quality strengths to his game, but he is immature on the field, and is not really fit or strong enough (yet).

Blanck - who knows how he will recover following the injury? Hopefully he's the long-term Frost replacement.

Phillips - CHB depth. I don't think he is quick enough to play at FB. Playing him would mean we could move Scrimshaw to a third tall role.

I think we are pretty well stocked with third tall types, with Weddle, McCabe, Serong, DGB plus Sicily and Scrimshaw.

So with that in mind, do we really need Battle? He's not really playing in an area we are crying out for reinforcements in. I've said before that signing him could mean Weddle gets released. Though Battle (and Perryman for that matter) are absolutely not ball-carriers like Weddle, Impey and Amon, so we'd lose some of that run.

Wage demands permitting, really I think we should sign him and then worry about the reshuffle later. I'd love to know what the long-term vision for Battle would be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching his highlights he reminds me of Campbell Brown.

Frost is nearing the end age-wise
DGB looking less likely than likely
McCabe is still a few years away
Phillips down the list
Weddle can (and will) play anywhere
Serong good depth but not sure if will make yet.

Point is, we need depth and Battle is a complete free hit. What if Sicily or Scrim get injured? The least of our problems at the moment is how to squeeze them in.
McCabe is a few years away from AA selection. but he's only a few weeks away from playing AFL. He'll get a few games before the end of the year and will force his way into best 22 in early rounds of 2025.

Faux tough guy who goes missing for big chunks of games. Pass for mine.

Battle is a massive no-brainer imo. He'd be best 22 in our team and will make us all stress less when occasionally doesn't get up! Really hoping we get him.

With him, I assume we go into next year with our first choice back 6 looking like;

Sicily - Blanck - Battle
Impey - Scrimshaw - Weddle

You've then got D'Ambrosio, Hardwick and Amon that are locks in the 22 that can play in and through defence.

Frost & Blanck going head to head over preseason for the full back position is going to be epic.
DGB, Ryan, Mccabe, Serong, Mitchell and Phillips will all be pushing for spots.

Will be interesting as a forward line of Chol,Dear, Scaife in 2025 doesn’t win us a final so we need to work our a plan this year I think.

Maybe doesn’t even get to the finals and will struggle.

You and Scaife is the new Simon Crawshay and Jack Scrimshaw
I know I’m going early on Scaife and much is to be learned about him through exposed form, but he really looks ready.

I don’t see any obvious flaws or weaknesses in his game or physical development that would impede him from settling into the team quickly.

I compare him to other very highly rated junior KPP and he looks every bit as good.

Add to that his form in the vfl within a month of arriving at the club and it all seems to reinforce my perception that this guy is ready to make an impact.

I am more optimistic about his impact in the short term than I was about Dear, and I was one of the early posters pushing for his debut. With Dear I just wanted to see his box hill form rewarded w a bit of exposure to afl level. I did not expect him to do so well bc he was so under developed physically.

Scaife has even better form at box hill and is physically immense already, and not in a big lad among boys, overgrown ape kind of way. He looks like he’s had 3 pre-seasons of development already.

I think my optimism is well placed given the above, but the proof is in the pudding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back