Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A silly argument was you wanting Ben McKay last year, a player who's a downgrade on Frost, for 6 years.

At least Barass is an upgrade on Frost but he comes with significant injury risk.

Being I am the small, petty man that I am I think I have figured this one out now. Suffice to say, shame you had to cancel your last account. Clearly you think because I took objection to people arguing in bad faith last year by embellishing McKay's injury history that I was mad keen on recruiting him. Just like then, I don't love it when people just make shit up about a player they don't want us to recruit (like only today people suggesting he is older than he is). I had no issue with you arguing in good faith like you did for most of your post by the way.

I am a supporter of the #NOtoBarrass movement on X. (Kudos to Dom)

Reasoning:
  • Equal third worst one-on-one defender in the league.
  • Back 6/7 already very strong and solid. That’s with Sicily on one shoulder.
  • Battle incoming makes it a solid 7/8
  • Plenty of depth in the sheds. Blanck has shown he’s an AFL player. McCabe and Phillips developing.
  • Harry Edwards situation will happen to our young defenders. They will want out due to the lack of opportunity.
  • Big hole when Barrass finishes. Some youngsters would have sought opportunities elsewhere. Those still on the list would have had limited AFL exposure.
  • Doesn’t leave us with a sustained period of going at it.
  • West Coast clearly want games into Edwards. Just like we wanted games into Newcombe/Day/Worpel. Shipped off O’Meara and Mitchell for peanuts as a result. Why is this not the same for Barrass?
  • Why do all WC fans want him gone?
  • Turning 30 next year.
  • No example ever of a first rounder traded for a thirty year old (or even 29y/o) being remotely successful.
  • The most non-durable player in the league. Surgery to just about every body part on his body. Which makes him a limited player.
  • 4 year deal will be a disaster. Dreaming if you think he plays until 33.
  • Never played more than 19 games in a season.
  • One bad knee to the back away from retirement.
  • Tasmania implications. Good luck finding young guns in the next few years.
  • No trade power with picks gone. Zero hope of landing players that want out in the next few years. E.G Mac Andrew.
  • Tobie Travaglia straight into the team if we pick him. November born. 15 year player. No different to Dear and Watson. Young guns have turned this team around.
  • More high end talent will only make this team better. Gives us a sustained period at the top.
  • Has a young family. Priorities have already changed. Doubt he has the drive anymore. Footy isn’t number one. No different to Stratts. Captain one year, retirement the next.
  • Will he cope in Melbourne? Completely different to Perth. No waves. Freezing.
No move should require this much justification. Only ends one way. With all the reasoning listed above,

I am # NOtoBarrass and encourage all of you to be so aswell.

Last edited:
Being I am the small, petty man that I am I think I have figured this one out now. Suffice to say, shame you had to cancel your last account. Clearly you think because I took objection to people arguing in bad faith last year by embellishing McKay's injury history that I was mad keen on recruiting him. Just like then, I don't love it when people just make shit up about a player they don't want us to recruit (like only today people suggesting he is older than he is). I had no issue with you arguing in good faith like you did for most of your post by the way.
you must hate every time Trump speaks

you must hate every time Trump speaks

A bit like how I feel with most country music outside of Johnny Cash - I don't go out of my way to listen to things that would make me want to take a belt sander to my ears.

And if it was a final this week who would you omit in that scenario?

Yeah TazHawk15 - and if we were playing a grand final against a side who featured clones of prime Jason Dunstall, Gary Ablett Senior and a 7-foot tall genetically modified gorilla with baseball gloves as hands who could kick from 100 metres accurately - who are you picking then, huh? Well??

it's literally a hypothetical thread

Hypothetical trades - not hypothetical match selection. Albeit this year the hypothetical trades have dried up a bit. I do miss the crazed overvaluing of our fringe players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Barrass has lost, on average, 0.6 contested one on ones a game this year.

Harris Andrews has lost 0.55 per game.
Alex Pearce has lost 0.81 per game.
Jack Buckley has lost 1.31 per game.
Frosty has lost 0.48 per game.

There's about 7 inside 50s a game difference between Brisbane and West Coast. As well as very different ways of defending. Andrews and Joyce/Payne by themselves take more contested one on ones as duos than the entire West coast or Hawthorn defenses do. Some teams set themselves up to have more favourable one on one defensive matchups. Other teams try harder to zone to prevent one on ones and as a result, when one on ones happen, they are more likely to come from a zone, switch or handover breakdown and you will have higher loss rates from a lower base.

A ~15% difference in loss rate just isn't material on its own with all of that mixed in. You're talking an extra one on one lost every 5 or so games. I love a good footy stat. The more niche and complicated, the better. But with defenders, you just can't get around having to actually sit down and go the eye test over many games and opponents.

So when players are scouted, the list manager and coaches don't talk about how they would fit in the current side?

I swear some of you never admit to making mistakes and continually want to look like the smartest person in the room, only to make yourself look more foolish.

Hypothetical trades - not hypothetical match selection. Albeit this year the hypothetical trades have dried up a bit. I do miss the crazed overvaluing of our fringe players.
it's a good idea to do a hypothetical best 23 to work out hyopthetical trades for players that would hypothetically be in the hypothetical best 23 :D

So when players are scouted, the list manager and coaches don't talk about how they would fit in the current side?

I swear some of you never admit to making mistakes and continually want to look like the smartest person in the room, only to make yourself look more foolish.

I openly admit my mistakes pretty much every single time I make them here - Platten44 can attest to me doing it just this week about the way the fixture is done when I got it wrong. I am still waiting for you to admit I wasn't sitting here as the #1 ticketholder of the 'Get McKay' bandwagon last year like you have implied. Something tells me I will be waiting a while also. Thanks for playing, Roby.

Go rewatch the game instesd of looking at the stats
Okay - here they are. All 7 marks I50, 2 directly against Barrass. One lost in a contest and one marked from a low chip kick just inside 50.

1. Not on Barrass
1723786877589.jpeg

2. Out in transition
1723786939644.jpeg

3. On Barrass - but could have been spoiled by the other West Coast bloke who chose not to go
1723786975889.jpeg

4. Not on Barrass
1723786997065.jpeg

5. Mark conceded 50m out right against the boundary - Barrass guarding space in front but not his direct opponent
1723787026256.jpeg

6. Impossible to intercept chip kick and mark right on 50
1723787129114.jpeg

7. Not on barrass
1723787146241.jpeg

Okay - here they are. All 7 marks I50, 2 directly against Barrass. One lost in a contest and one marked from a low chip kick just inside 50.

1. Not on Barrass
View attachment 2080913

2. Out in transition
View attachment 2080914

3. On Barrass - but could have been spoiled by the other West Coast bloke who chose not to go
View attachment 2080915

4. Not on Barrass
View attachment 2080916

5. Mark conceded 50m out right against the boundary - Barrass guarding space in front but not his direct opponent
View attachment 2080918

View attachment 2080920

7. Not on barrass
View attachment 2080921

I can't wait for RCAB to admit he got it wrong on this one. He's so keen for us all to admit our mistakes and all.

1. Not on Barrass
View attachment 2080913

2. Out in transition
View attachment 2080914

View attachment 2080915

4. Not on Barrass
View attachment 2080916

View attachment 2080918

View attachment 2080920

7. Not on barrass
View attachment 2080921

Barass was playing on him most of the time. He's not in the picture because he let Hogan go.

Barass was playing on him most of the time. He's not on the picture because he let Hogan go.
No, he isn't in the pictures because he isn't playing on him in those contests - as has been said a bunch of times, in general play West Coast play a zone. He is generally a fair bit off his opponent but he would never be so far away from his opponent to not appear in a picture showing most of the entire D50 area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back