Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Outside of the Frost renaissance of this season I feel like he's played his best footy on the smaller/medium forwards under Clarkson.

He's got the athleticism to keep up with them on the deck but also the height and power to dominate them in the air.

I can see him releasing Hardwick forward.

Everyone keeps saying this but Frost has genuinely always played when fit, even Sam has said that Frost is playing out of his usual position with Blanck out meaning that if we had a Barrass type he would be in the side just as a second tall. Frost will be in the side until his form diminishes to the point he is omitted imo, we'll move other backs into new roles before he's pushed out.
Barrass, Scrim, Battle, Sic, Weddle, Impey, Amon, Hardwick is quite a line up.

Frost will play when Sic becomes our sweeper in the midfield and Dimma is moved up. Our midfield and forward delivery will only become more potent.

Watto, Moore, Ginnivan, Hardwick, Dear, MacDonald and Chol will be a headache for anyone. Especially with Sic acting as that quarterback kicker inside 50.

We need Reid for the next 4 years; while we have a prime Sicily, Barrass, Moore, Day, Amon, Weddle, Watson, Newk, Scrim, MacDonald, Massimo, Lewis. That core is worthy of multiple premierships.

Reid will be our Crown Jewel.

Barrass, Scrim, Battle, Sic, Weddle, Impey, Amon, Hardwick is quite a line up.

Frost will play when Sic becomes our sweeper in the midfield and Dimma is moved up. Our midfield and forward delivery will only become more potent.

Watto, Moore, Ginnivan, Hardwick, Dear, MacDonald and Chol will be a headache for anyone. Especially with Sic acting as that quarterback kicker inside 50.

We need Reid for the next 4 years; while we have a prime Sicily, Barrass, Moore, Day, Amon, Weddle, Watson, Newk, Scrim, MacDonald, Massimo, Lewis. That core is worthy of multiple premierships.

Lol, Reid isn’t happening.

Outside of Barrass who's a genuine Full-back, the rest have a lot of flexibility. Battle has huge endurance as does Weddle. Frost has genuine pace. All can play small.

Sic does what sic does. You feel Sam values flexibility above all, forward/back/wing be interesting to see how positions and the game plan develops with the new ins.

There shouldn't be too much fear from the current 22, as we currently probably play a tall short and Gunston is a place holder.

It does make it hard for players just outside. Serong is too good to be fringe but at his age should expect to be at a lot of clubs.

My only concern is whether he has the speed Sam wants out of a third tall and unless he goes forward he is waiting for injury or retirement.

Hopefully Serong isn't a part of any trade and can build some forward craft in the offseason.
If you are on the fringe you want to build your utility and grab whatever opportunity presents.

Being a realist, I don't see how we could possibly give enough to secure Reid from the Eagles. Even if he happens to say 'make me a Hawk' at any point in the next five years.

What's he worth? Three top ten draft picks? More?

Being a realist, I don't see how we could possibly give enough to secure Reid from the Eagles. Even if he happens to say 'make me a Hawk' at any point in the next five years.

What's he worth? Three top ten draft picks? More?

If he comes out and says "I'm homesick and want to go back to Vic, make me a Hawk" then our 3 firsts (assuming 2 years fwd comes in next year) probably gets it done.

Eagles won't want to lose him for nothing and if he is adamant he is gone they know best value will come next year.

Massive IF though, can't see him nominating us and only us.

Can’t fault him for looking at more opportunity especially with Battle and Barrass coming in. Had a cracking year at Box Hill, and the only reason he's not in the AFL team is because Sicily/Scrimshaw have been so good.

From a depth perspective, it would hurt us a bit. He’s been better than DGB and Phillips who are both unlikely to be on the list.

Given his age, position, VFL form and contract status I'd be asking for a second with something going back for them.
Had to modify this ...

"From a depth perspective, it would hurt us quite a bit. He’s been better than DGB and Phillips put together who are both highly unlikely to be on the list next year.
Given his age, position, VFL form and contract status I'd be asking for a second at least."

I actually think that is closer to what Petracca is truly pissed off with - he is busting a nut and half the rest of the team (on and off field) are taking the Mickey.
Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there is any truth to a possible StKilda move, perhaps we can bundle him and Butler for pick 24

We do need to clear the decks a bit

Prefer to keep Butts at this stage. I'd like to see him get a good run at it. He had an amazing preseason and the club was excited about what he could produce this year. Shame really.

Everyone keeps saying this but Frost has genuinely always played when fit, even Sam has said that Frost is playing out of his usual position with Blanck out meaning that if we had a Barrass type he would be in the side just as a second tall. Frost will be in the side until his form diminishes to the point he is omitted imo, we'll move other backs into new roles before he's pushed out.
It's a somewhat confusing reply as his role has never been threatened before by the sudden arrival of two high profile KPDs. If we get Barrass, how do you envisage he fits in our back 6?

Frost has been fantastic this year, but if we get Barrass (as 99% likely) it means he'll likely be squeezed out. So how do we feel about a player who's been key to our success this year becoming a depth player at BH next year?
Frost has been, and I think will continue to be, integral to our quest.

It is what it is. If that is how it pans out Frost will not be the first to suffer that fate and he will not be the last.

Hawks have had a charmed run this with injury this year. That probably does not repeat. Players on the fringes will get their chance next year.
To an extent but there's an element of needing to bottle whatever's currently working and keeping faith in those who are doing the job. Get he's not getting younger, and i am too loyal to ever be a list manager, but just hope we dont mess up team dynamics with too many newcomers

To an extent but there's an element of needing to bottle whatever's currently working and keeping faith in those who are doing the job. Get he's not getting younger, and i am too loyal to ever be a list manager, but just hope we dont mess up team dynamics with too many newcomers
I do agree that going taller has the potential to upset the dynamic run. Hawthorn have been exposed for height though down back. Hopefully a player like Battle can do both - play tall, run like the wind and hurt the opposition with kicking.

Well, seeing he's contracted, why not just keep him instead of basically GIVING him away for **** all as per your suggestion?

Because he’s a person not a commodity, and I’m very proud to support a club that’s treats players as such - it’s worked decently for us.

Forcing players to stay is good for literally nobody involved. He’d be hoping 3 of Sis, Weddle, Battle, and Scrimshaw were out to get a game and that’s banking on McCabe not overtaking him in the pecking order.

If he wants to leave, we’ll let him go for far less than some expect. Pick 43 might just be it.

Because he’s a person not a commodity, and I’m very proud to support a club that’s treats players as such - it’s worked decently for us.

Forcing players to stay
is good for literally nobody involved. He’d be hoping 3 of Sis, Weddle, Battle, and Scrimshaw were out to get a game and that’s banking on McCabe not overtaking him in the pecking order.

If he wants to leave, we’ll let him go for far less than some expect. Pick 43 might just be it.
All of a sudden we're 'forcing Serong to stay' against his will???

I'll wait until I hear Serong come out in the media wanting out before I start concocting trade scenarios based on supporting his welfare...

It's a somewhat confusing reply as his role has never been threatened before by the sudden arrival of two high profile KPDs. If we get Barrass, how do you envisage he fits in our back 6?
If Barrass and Battle join us as expected, it makes Frost the second best option for playing the number 1 Key Defender. He is also the best option for playing the 2nd Key Defender. Unless we come up against a mosquito fleet forward line, there is a place for Frost in our Backline.

Weddle is a certainty to play elsewhere on the field. Sicily can be used further up the field. Scrimshaw is capable of playing in other positions. Hardwick can play forward.

Frost is too good to leave out, even it means we are slightly too tall as a team.

Well, seeing he's contracted, why not just keep him instead of basically GIVING him away for **** all as per your suggestion?

When i see some of the trade suggestions on here I genuinely feel like I’m taking crazy pills. Why the **** would we just give away a CONTRACTED talented young player for nothing? If anything get him involved in the barrass trade. Serong and a second for Barrass or **** off. I’d rather have battle and develop Serong and both our first and second round picks tbh. Serong would be a starting player 7yrs younger than Barrass for west coast.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back